tangs, angels, etc. for 65 gal reef?

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one!
I'm looking for a nice center piece fish for my 65 gal tall reef display. I know there are limited options due to my footprint, so I want one larger fish that really stands out. Something you don't see everyday. Below is my tank info. any suggestions are appreciated!
Current stock list:
1 Skeletor eel
2 naked cinnamon clownfish
multiple LPS and Softies

Filtration:
Bubble Magnus curve 5 skimmer
three stage sump
oversized GPH pump

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet for a tang in that size is a kole or bristle tooth tang.
Good “reef safe” Angels in my experience are CB and cherubs.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet for a tang in that size is a kole or bristle tooth tang.
Good “reef safe” Angels in my experience are CB and cherubs.
thank you! I am considering a yellow eye kole tang, but was trying to find something a bit more exotic. I have always loved CB's, do you find that they tend to nip SPS a lot? I plan on having a large amount of SPS

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chevrons are awesome just not everyone likes their adult coloration.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White Tail Bristletooth Tang. Absolutely beautiful. The red color kinda glows under the right light and conditions:
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 7.25.50 PM.png

MARK ZAWADZKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always get a Gem Tang if you want something "Exotic" lol. Black tangs, purple tangs are cool too

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your limited to those two tangs IMO. I’ve only kept them with moni and a birds nest but every fish is different.

Tank is too small for a chevron

Wow I never realized how big they could potentially get. That said... I've never seen or even heard of one even half their adult size in captivity. I had a nice adult as a model citizen for many years in a 55 who seemed happy before upgrading to a 150gal

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is the tank? I would have a 4 foot tank min for a tang.

Dwarf Angels would be a better option imo. The Flame Angel is my personal choice the Coral Beauty is great too.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a 4 foot tank one of the smaller tangs will work although the Kole and the Two Spot aka Blue Eye Kole Tang are too big IMHO. Tomini, Squaretail or that White Tail Bristletooth all stay under 7 inches max and would be your best bets provided the tank is 4 feet long. Be aware that White Tail Bristletooth is spendy and doesn't come up really often for availability.

I agree that Dwarf Angels are a better fit. Having owned both the Flame and the Coral Beauty I would definitely pick the Coral Beauty over the Flame. My Flame was a first class butthead/bully to all my fish and began repeatedly nipping at my corals. My CB on the other hand has been a near model citizen with it's tank mates and corals. My tank is almost exclusively Euphyllia (LPS) and it will take the occasional exploratory nip but doesn't like the taste of the polyps much and quickly moves on. The Corals aren't affected much by it and continue to grow. Even though the Flame has more pop in terms of color from a Distance the Coral Beauty actually has more Color Diversity. Here is an overview I did on mine:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is a 65 gallon tall, I suspect the foot print is too small for just about any tang. Bristle tooth tangs don't really eat macroalgae and can be a little bit more difficult to keep unless you have a lot of film algae which is what they eat.

A Cherub angel stays pretty small, is very colorful and would probably do well in this size tank.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I've seen one available in my area recently. The LFS wanted 200.00 for it. But man it was BEAUTIFUL :D

Yup, my LFS had one in their 300 gallon front display tank and it sure was pretty. Too much to spend on one fish though IMHO.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys! thanks for all of the suggestions. the tank is 3 ft long and 18in wide

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back