OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Straight outta the bag. Its got a salty taste , and better than peanuts imo lol.
These are the two I get up here. I imagine @N.Sreefer has heard of either. Julian Spungs makes a purple algae which I believe is dulse but its twice the price. Just make sure you get the non marinated variety for the tank. And happy munching!
https://www.amdulse.com/
https://seasidenovadulse.com/?utm_campaign=gmb
And here is one available in US.
https://seaveg.com/
Thanks I’m on it!!!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine chemistry, a love, hate relationship we hobbyists deal with constantly. But learning about our oceans aka natural sea water is at the very heart of our testing.
62C59FA1-FEC3-4D2B-BB10-85A712446281.jpeg
E56A386E-8792-495A-A53E-29F3E7E4C154.jpeg
7BF9D209-5DA6-43E7-ADF1-610EDA296DC8.jpeg
C6A23335-78D1-4E44-8F78-3D41068BD09E.jpeg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I used to give bananas to my Moorish Idols. I would freeze the bananas first. Frozen bananas have the consistency of sponge which I assume they thought they were eating. :)

I actually forgot about that. :cool:

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I used to give bananas to my Moorish Idols. I would freeze the bananas first. Frozen bananas have the consistency of sponge which I assume they thought they were eating. :)

I actually forgot about that. :cool:

Wow very cool! Moorish Idols are beautiful fish. Great looking tank btw.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are fruits in their natural state. Then there are candy bars and soda. And both have sugar. But there is a process that take place between these two food groups that changes the sugar of on to the sugar of the other. One is healthy and one is not. From science to our mothers, they’ve been insisting on that for our entire lives.
I’ve really enjoyed this thread on a number of levels. Enough evidence points to the idea that fruit and its health benefits are fine for our fish. The smoking gun, the BRS Investigates why this practice should not be done just didn’t show up here. But I welcome it. I want the best for my fish.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been following along here and wanted to say I'm pretty sure I witnessed tangs sipping mango pina coladas on the gulf reef over the weekend. Just wasn't sure how that would be taken;)
On a real note our snorkel guide brought frozen bananas and strawberries out and the fish where actually eating them out of folks hands.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been following along here and wanted to say I'm pretty sure I witnessed tangs sipping mango pina coladas on the gulf reef over the weekend. Just wasn't sure how that would be taken;)
On a real note our snorkel guide brought frozen bananas and strawberries out and the fish where actually eating them out of folks hands.
You know, you’ve got a point. I’ve heard tangs can hold their liquor quite well. That may also answer the question, why do tangs carry around little umbrellas? We know so little. ;)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, you’ve got a point. I’ve heard tangs can hold their liquor quite well. That may also answer the question, why do tangs carry around little umbrellas? We know so little. ;)
Our snorkel guide was a marine biology student and he seemed super knowledgeable as well as passionate about the reef. Took a ton of precautions before going out on reef.
The question about feeding the fish bananas actually did come up. His response was look around you. We snorkeled the reef about 1/4 mile off El Mujeras Island. If that. He quickly pointed out that banana trees as well as jackfruit trees and many other fruit trees where growing all along the coast and the fish naturally eat them as part of diet.
So idk.
I would be more worried to see one with a margarita in its hand and highly suspicious what it was doing to its liver in that case:D

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our snorkel guide was a marine biology student and he seemed super knowledgeable as well as passionate about the reef. Took a ton of precautions before going out on reef.
The question about feeding the fish bananas actually did come up. His response was look around you. We snorkeled the reef about 1/4 mile off El Mujeras Island. If that. He quickly pointed out that banana trees as well as jackfruit trees and many other fruit trees where growing all along the coast and the fish naturally eat them as part of diet.
So idk.
I would be more worried to see one with a margarita in its hand and highly suspicious what it was doing to its liver in that case:D
So LRT, nice post! I’ve obviously chosen a side and I appreciate your experiences on the reef that at least seems to say that fish don’t mind a little variety. My topic title: Tangs like fruit. I think is a true statement. I have 3 larger tangs. They all go nuts. But I think there is some good debate on this post, good concerns. All of which though, without deep research into the long term effects on our water quality and livestock especially corals, we’re just going to have to keep chewing on this one. And I think the debate won’t end until on the shelves or refrigerators in our lfs their displaying a fruity supplement for our fish. Again I appreciate your words.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just romaine ,pellets and flake today.. :)
back on Tuesday with the whole banana "devour"?? ...;)
IMG_9325.JPG

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So LRT, nice post! I’ve obviously chosen a side and I appreciate your experiences on the reef that at least seems to say that fish don’t mind a little variety. My topic title: Tangs like fruit. I think is a true statement. I have 3 larger tangs. They all go nuts. But I think there is some good debate on this post, good concerns. All of which though, without deep research into the long term effects on our water quality and livestock especially corals, we’re just going to have to keep chewing on this one. And I think the debate won’t end until on the shelves or refrigerators in our lfs their displaying a fruity supplement for our fish. Again I appreciate your words.
Yes great discussion. I cant see ingested pesticides being good or possibly even certain gmo fruit(if that even exists) being good for fish.
I did see them gobbling up fruit and fruit trees growing in natural habitat though.
I'm going to try feeding my Tangs some banana here tonight and see if I can fatten up my powder brown enough that he stops wreaking havoc on my reef lol

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes great discussion. I cant see ingested pesticides being good or possibly even certain gmo fruit(if that even exists) being good for fish.
I did see them gobbling up fruit and fruit trees growing in natural habitat though.
I'm going to try feeding my Tangs some banana here tonight and see if I can fatten up my powder brown enough that he stops wreaking havoc on my reef lol
Nothing like a banana to soothe the savage beast. :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that yellow tangs got their color from eating reef bananas just like the flamingo gets their colors from the shrimp in their diet. The hippopotamus keepers on here really might ought consider adding Splenda into their pets diet to help keep them light on their feet?
Food Sunday GIF

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that yellow tangs got their color from eating reef bananas just like the flamingo gets their colors from the shrimp in their diet. The hippopotamus keepers on here really might ought consider adding Splenda into their pets diet to help keep them light on their feet?
Food Sunday GIF
Okay! The genius part of the population is speaking! Everyone shush!!! :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back