Tangs

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the Kole tang. It's a beautiful fish and eats algae all day long. I also like Powder Browns and Purples. Those 3 would likely mix well too.
I've had a yellow, brown and Kole at the same time and they were good buddies.

Purple Tangs are pretty aggressive, I personally wouldn't trust one with other tangs or smaller fish.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple tang and a spotted yellow eye tang in QT right now for a 120 gal tank and will add a gold rim tang after, but may get a Achilles tang instead.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple tang and a spotted yellow eye tang in QT right now for a 120 gal tank and will add a gold rim tang after, but may get a Achilles tang instead.

keep me posted please

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is also the scopas tang...

I traded my yellow eyed kole for the scopas because he always hid.

but my Achilles beat the snot out of him so now he hangs in the frag tank..

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that is a long 120 because my Achilles swims and swims and swims. when not swimming he is thrashing at everyone.

beware, you could get a chill Achilles or you can get an absolutely psychotic one.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that is a long 120 because my Achilles swims and swims and swims. when not swimming he is thrashing at everyone.

beware, you could get a chill Achilles or you can get an absolutely psychotic one.
My Caribbean blue is the same way. Was so small when we got it and now is a bully! The only tang out of 6 that it doesn’t bother is The hippo tang which is larger. And it swims swims swims! 6”, 300gal. Two large caves for hiding/sleeping. We have redone the rock work 3x for agression and removed 5 other tangs and relocated to other tanks due to the agression. Purple and tomini moved to 93 cube doing fine, scopas moved to 180 fo with Sohal doing absolutely great and unfortunately we lost the naso not eating and the powder brown got ick. :(
We had a 120g, 4” tank and a powder blue with the purple, chevron and naso. The powder blue killed the naso so we bought a 300gal to upgrade but then we added a beautiful no symptoms foxface and got velvet killed our whole tank before we could get the 300 up and running. We now quarantine everything! Lov the tangs though and we finally found a happy balance with no agression most of the time.
Yellow, dejardini, Caribbean blue, hippo tang, chevron, and blue eyed kole in 300.
Sohal and scopas in 180fo, tomini and purple in 93 cube. All tangs we have now started out in smaller tanks and then upgraded and moved to 300, then some removed to the smaller tanks again. Except the Sohal we rescued that one and put in the 180. Was in a 75 for 10yrs with previous owners. She seems happy in the 180 as long as she’s feed well! I think we just needed to find the right combos for our fish personalities seems no matter how well I planned three tangs of each family etc. they all had their own agendas! Well good luck everyone and hope you guys all find a balance too!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are so many beautiful tangs and fish but my favorite is still the hippo and Sohal tangs! Both have such cool personalities. The Sohal watches me and knows when I go to the cabinet she’s getting nori and she begs like a dog wagging her tail. She will not bite me but she bites my husband! Lol and hippo only gets more stunning and out going as she grows swims out in open all day long!
Does anyone else have that favorite tang that has a cool personality??? Which one and why?

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my sohal because he just has this curious look on his face.
70e8c50562deb6b846a52d060f0d1052.jpg

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would like to get a tang but I only have a 100 gallon tank that is 4' long so this may be a problem. I want a tang to help with the hair algae on a few of my corals, not horrible be a nuisance none the less. I also have a pair of clowns, midas blenny, purple fire fish, mandarin and a anthias. I actually wouldn't even care if it meant giving up a couple of the fish. Any opinions for my circumstances?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would like to get a tang but I only have a 100 gallon tank that is 4' long so this may be a problem. I want a tang to help with the hair algae on a few of my corals, not horrible be a nuisance none the less. I also have a pair of clowns, midas blenny, purple fire fish, mandarin and a anthias. I actually wouldn't even care if it meant giving up a couple of the fish. Any opinions for my circumstances?

Sounds like you are the perfect candidate for a One Spot Foxface as it could work in a 100 gallon tank (I have one in my 90 gallon to replace an aggressive Yellow Tang). As mentioned there are some of the smaller bristletooth varieties of Tang that will work, but they aren't known hair algae eaters and aren't very brightly colored, unlike the Yellow Tang. Foxfaces are known hair algae eaters and are generally peaceful with tankmates (unlike the Yellow Tang). They can potentially nip at corals, but generally that's only if they are underfed. Mine has never bothered with my Euphyllia and does periodically graze on hair algae around the tank. It also eats seaweed and reef frenzy like crazy. I did a species spotlight and did comparisons between it and my Yellow Tang in this vid:

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! He’s nice! How big of tank and how big is he? Gets along with others too?
he is around 7 or 8" in a 6'x3' sps tank 260 gallons or so. he is not to be messed with but he doesnt seem to be that aggressive. I am keeping an eye on him though. They are in QT right now and he and the Achilles are the only ones NOT hiding...

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he is around 7 or 8" in a 6'x3' sps tank 260 gallons or so. he is not to be messed with but he doesnt seem to be that aggressive. I am keeping an eye on him though. They are in QT right now and he and the Achilles are the only ones NOT hiding...
I think you will Lov him! I certainly do! So much personality! Good luck and please post pictures when in his permanent home! Great angae eater too!

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update for everyone, I decided to go with a Blue Eye Kole Tang, my lfs just got it in today, went to look at it and those eyes are beautiful. They are gonna hold him till tuesday as i wanted to make sure he was eating before taking him home, super excited

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update for everyone, I decided to go with a Blue Eye Kole Tang, my lfs just got it in today, went to look at it and those eyes are beautiful. They are gonna hold him till tuesday as i wanted to make sure he was eating before taking him home, super excited

That's a good choice, the Blue Eyed Kole (aka Two Spot Tang) tends to be a bit more docile than it's Yellow Eyed counterpart as well. If it develops the prominent light blue spots, it can be quite an attractive fish to boot.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good choice, the Blue Eyed Kole (aka Two Spot Tang) tends to be a bit more docile than it's Yellow Eyed counterpart as well. If it develops the prominent light blue spots, it can be quite an attractive fish to boot.
Super cool! Good choice! Post pictures when he gets into his tank!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back