Tangs

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

I've finally reached the point where i feel like my tank is ready for tangs and so am I. I have a 120 display with a 20 gal sump. The tank has been up for over a year and I think its time to get myself a tang or 3.

Current stocking:
Longnose Butterfly
Flame Angel
2 Pajama Cardinals
2 Mocha Clownfish (i hope i get babies)
Sand Shifting Goby
Engineer Goby
Also have a clam

Open to any tangs other Gem Tangs and Yellows Tangs, gems because of price and Yellow because I feel like everyone has one

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow eyed kole tang is my personal favorite. Beautiful fish that doesnt get to big so itd do perfectly in a 120 :)

My LFS seems to always have them in stock and they do look beautiful and they are pretty reasonable, I was thinking maybe a yellow eyed and another tang (introducing them at the same time)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole is a good suggestion. Any of its Ctenochaetus (bristletooth genus) cousins would work, except for Chevron.

Purple or black would work too, but not either of the sailfin tangs.

Lavender is the only Acanthurus I would recommend.

I would probably recommend only one.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole is a good suggestion. Any of its Ctenochaetus (bristletooth genus) cousins would work, except for Chevron.

Purple or black would work too, but not either of the sailfin tangs.

Lavender is the only Acanthurus I would recommend.

I would probably recommend only one.

I was thinking 3 might be too much but I can dream lol. I think i might go with a kole as it will help with some algae

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feel like spending some money, the white tail (kole's cousin) is a showstopper.

might have to check out the white tail, and i dont mind spending the money, i was looking at the Achilles Tang but the last one i saw was always having issues and I have heard horror stories

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding a yellow eye to mine, already have a yellow so it will go in the acclimation box at first, if you don’t want a yellow what about the purple tang and yellow eye?

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding a yellow eye to mine, already have a yellow so it will go in the acclimation box at first, if you don’t want a yellow what about the purple tang and yellow eye?

I love the color on the purple tang so i was thinking a purple and something else, might do purple and yellow eye

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the chevron is recommended at 180 gallons as it gets close to a foot adult size.
The square tail is nice piece as well.

9298A40D-F779-474B-8C32-11E0B151F782.png

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the chevron is recommended at 180 gallons as it gets close to a foot adult size.
The square tail is nice piece as well.

9298A40D-F779-474B-8C32-11E0B151F782.png

I like the look of that

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope that works out for you, I recommend putting in the kole first then reintroduce the yellow tang.
Just hear stories of YT killing the koles or whatever tang goes in when the yellow is in there.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope that works out for you, I recommend putting in the kole first then reintroduce the yellow tang.
Just hear stories of YT killing the koles or whatever tang goes in when the yellow is in there.
Thanks, going to put the Kole in my acclimation box first to protect him from the yellow.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kole in my DT and a squaretail in my frag tank. I like them both, but I think I like the look of the squaretail better in person. They are both great at eating film algae, not so much GHA. This is probably just individual personality, but my kole tang is much more chill than the squaretail, but the kole HATES any goby or blenny. He killed my sand sifting goby :(

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs can be jerks. I removed a Yellow from my 90 gallon a couple of months ago due to aggression (although the Zebrasoma Tangs do tend to be more aggressive than the smaller bristletooths). Tomini, Kole and Squaretail would all work, just one tang though IMHO.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back