OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will enjoy him. I forgot if you planned to quarantine the tang or not? Sometimes it hard to see ick in the blue eyed kole and they swim really fast.

I'm gonna look at setting up a quarantine system, it's also partly why he is still at my lfs. They run copper in their tanks which should help if he does have anything. I'm probably gonna play it safe and set io a quarantine system as I know tangs love to bring ick with them

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been mentioned before, but I love my white tailed bristletooth tang. Truly a beautiful fish. Here's a couple of pics of mine.
WT BT Tang 2.jpg
WT BT Tang.jpg

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181015_131948.jpg

Went to check on him today, coming home with me tomorrow. He's very active though he knew I was trying to take a picture of him so he hid. Best pic I got of him

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white tail is a beautiful tang ! never seen one.
I'm going to inquire at my LFS.

They are pretty rare and have the price tag to boot. They generally run between $200-$250 when they are available.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang update, did finally get him home. He is hiding and very shy right now, though he has been seen (while I was at work) swimming with my 2 butterflies. He has plenty of algae to eat. Will post pictures when he comes out of hiding

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that is a long 120 because my Achilles swims and swims and swims. when not swimming he is thrashing at everyone.

beware, you could get a chill Achilles or you can get an absolutely psychotic one.
Actually, I'm not going to get an achilles tang, not a good choice for tank size.

Still going with 3 though to keep any aggression to 1x1x1 instead of 1x1.

Settled on my Purple tang, a Tomini tang, and probably a Convict tang.

My Spotted yellow eye tang died in QT due to something that was out of my control which is why I didn't include it in my final list.

Last edited:

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I'm not going to get an achilles tang, not a good choice for tank size.

Still going with 3 though to keep any aggression to 1x1x1 instead of 1x1.

Settled on my Purple tang, a Tomini tang, and probably a Convict tang.

My Spotted yellow eye tang died in QT due to something that was out of my control which is why I didn't include it in my final list.
I used an acclimation box and have had zero aggression even with 1x1 with a yellow and yellow eye. My yellow was added first and the yellow eye is much smaller so that probably helps.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now, only a small Tomini Tang is available at 1 to 1.5 inches, are tangs fragile at that size? Also, I know tangs can be aggressive, but at that size is it likely that a 3.5 inch purple tang would beat and stress it to death, or is the chance the same as any other size?
@4FordFamily
@HotRocks

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now, only a small Tomini Tang is available at 1 to 1.5 inches, are tangs fragile at that size? Also, I know tangs can be aggressive, but at that size is it likely that a 3.5 inch purple tang would beat and stress it to death, or is the chance the same as any other size?
@4FordFamily
@HotRocks
Yes tangs are pretty fragile at that size, and a purple tang isn’t likely to accept another tang if they’re to be the only tangs. One tang will fixate on another if there are only two.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily
@HotRocks
I am definitely not an expert but I put a 2 inch yellow eye through quarantine then in an acclimation box and my 5-6 inch yellow never noticed him, they eat algae together. I really liked the acclimation box just to make sure. But most agree 2 tangs are high risk, crossing my fingers I got lucky.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely not an expert but I put a 2 inch yellow eye through quarantine then in an acclimation box and my 5-6 inch yellow never noticed him, they eat algae together. I really liked the acclimation box just to make sure. But most agree 2 tangs are high risk, crossing my fingers I got lucky.
I am going with 3, just wasn't sure how much size would matter, didn't want to put a baby tang in the DT only to be bullied to death which is why I asked.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with 3, just wasn't sure how much size would matter, didn't want to put a baby tang in the DT only to be bullied to death which is why I asked.
Very much understandable, my observation with mine was the yellow tang paid no attention to the much smaller yellow eye. About 3 weeks in so maybe to early to know. I did 30 days quarantine and 5 days acclimation box. Good luck with it, I was very nervous adding a second tang.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May the Force be with me and my tangs, LOL!!!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back