Tank birthday, 47+ years

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no good time for a flood, and they always happen when you don't have time to deal with it or are away from home. During those times, I hate water. Yet, I know all life needs it. So, I guess I hate it on the floor. Prior to owning my own home, I didn't hate it at all. That's why I drink diet soda.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want diet soda on my floor either,. :rolleyes:

So a weird thing happened yesterday. I think we sold the house and should go to contract in a day or so. That is not the weird part. A half an hour after we made the deal, about 6:00 PM our door bell rings. It was a very pretty Asian lady in her late 40s. My wife recognized her as one of the people who came to the house a few days ago to an open house. At that time she breezed through the house and sort of rushed out without saying much so I figured she wasn't interested. We already had over 60 people looking at the place and we were holding out for the price we were hoping for.

Anyway, this Lady has a shopping bag with her so Instantly figured she had a bundle of cash with her. But the bag wasn't big enough so I thought I may be wrong. Of course I was. She spoke very little English and the only Asian words I know is Bruce Lee and maybe Sushi. But she was Korean so those words probably don't count and I didn't want to mention the only Korean word I know as that is Kim Jun Ung.

She kept apologizing for bothering us (which she was not) so we invited her in. I offered her wine, plum wine, Scotch, Rum, beer, chocolate milk and tea all of which she declined. She gave us the Mandarin Oranges that she had in the bag (instead of cash) She was extremely nice and kept apologizing for coming here. She was dressed like she was going to a really nice night club but my house doesn't have any neon signs outside so I am sure she didn't make a mistake.

After taking off her coat and sitting on our couch she told us she was an artist and loves the house so much that she can't sleep. (she said that about 5 times. ) She said to my wife, your house has so much love in it and your Husband (Me) smiles so much as he showed me the house and his art work, I can tell he put so much love in the house and she is also an artist, (she said that multiple times)

She was going on about my Japanese garden and my Asian flair I put into the house and how much she loved my art etc. My wife and I were kind of baffled because I asked her a couple of times how much she wanted to bid on the house. Or even if she wanted to make an offer, But she didn't seem to know. She told me that besides being an artist she has some sort of Google like business and if she could speak English better she could make more money and such. Her husband is Japanese but I am not sure what he does as he could be a Sumo Wrestler or Toyota Dealer, I couldn't figure it out. I asked her how she got married to a Japanese mas because she said she doesn't speak Japanese and both of them don't speak much English. Maybe he has a Japanese/Korean translator thing or they know sign language.

She stayed about an hour which didn't bother me because as I said she was very nice and did I say Pretty?
She asked if she could be our friend even if she couldn't buy the house and if she could visit us in our new home so she can paint the ocean. We said OK, thats fine but my wife and I kept looking at each other as we couldn't figure out what this visit was for. She also said she was going to bring us some Korean food I guess we have a new friend.

Then she thanked us a few times and left. It was a very interesting experience but I am in a fog as to what it was about.
:D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want diet soda on my floor either,. :rolleyes:

So a weird thing happened yesterday. I think we sold the house and should go to contract in a day or so. That is not the weird part. A half an hour after we made the deal, about 6:00 PM our door bell rings. It was a very pretty Asian lady in her late 40s. My wife recognized her as one of the people who came to the house a few days ago to an open house. At that time she breezed through the house and sort of rushed out without saying much so I figured she wasn't interested. We already had over 60 people looking at the place and we were holding out for the price we were hoping for.

Anyway, this Lady has a shopping bag with her so Instantly figured she had a bundle of cash with her. But the bag wasn't big enough so I thought I may be wrong. Of course I was. She spoke very little English and the only Asian words I know is Bruce Lee and maybe Sushi. But she was Korean so those words probably don't count and I didn't want to mention the only Korean word I know as that is Kim Jun Ung.

She kept apologizing for bothering us (which she was not) so we invited her in. I offered her wine, plum wine, Scotch, Rum, beer, chocolate milk and tea all of which she declined. She gave us the Mandarin Oranges that she had in the bag (instead of cash) She was extremely nice and kept apologizing for coming here. She was dressed like she was going to a really nice night club but my house doesn't have any neon signs outside so I am sure she didn't make a mistake.

After taking off her coat and sitting on our couch she told us she was an artist and loves the house so much that she can't sleep. (she said that about 5 times. ) She said to my wife, your house has so much love in it and your Husband (Me) smiles so much as he showed me the house and his art work, I can tell he put so much love in the house and she is also an artist, (she said that multiple times)

She was going on about my Japanese garden and my Asian flair I put into the house and how much she loved my art etc. My wife and I were kind of baffled because I asked her a couple of times how much she wanted to bid on the house. Or even if she wanted to make an offer, But she didn't seem to know. She told me that besides being an artist she has some sort of Google like business and if she could speak English better she could make more money and such. Her husband is Japanese but I am not sure what he does as he could be a Sumo Wrestler or Toyota Dealer, I couldn't figure it out. I asked her how she got married to a Japanese mas because she said she doesn't speak Japanese and both of them don't speak much English. Maybe he has a Japanese/Korean translator thing or they know sign language.

She stayed about an hour which didn't bother me because as I said she was very nice and did I say Pretty?
She asked if she could be our friend even if she couldn't buy the house and if she could visit us in our new home so she can paint the ocean. We said OK, thats fine but my wife and I kept looking at each other as we couldn't figure out what this visit was for. She also said she was going to bring us some Korean food I guess we have a new friend.

Then she thanked us a few times and left. It was a very interesting experience but I am in a fog as to what it was about.
:D
That is crazy!

And here I thought visiting people meant that you sat down in the same room as them and stared at your phones.

Liking something is what you do to a Facebook post and if you absolutely love it you add a comment with emoji's.

Painting the ocean is when you take a picture on Instagram and add crazy filters to it.

Its no wonder you were confused that she wanted to actually talk! I only read about visits like this in history books!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stare at a lot of things, but my phone isn't one of them. Not long ago my wife said to me: "You know you have a text message on here from Christmas". I said "Which Christmas".

Thats how much I look at my phone. There are apps all over it and I don't know how to use any of them. I used it once to find my car and almost had to rent a car to get home because I couldn't find it.
I make occasional calls and use the camera if it's important, not for selfies, cute dogs, people (unless it is my Grand Kids) history books, or anything else. If someone wants me, they can call me and my old fashioned ring tone will let me hear it. If someone texts me, I may read it today or tomorrow or next Christmas. If it's important, they will call me. :cool:

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a flip phone, I used it for my watch. Everyone knew not to call me on it because I turned the ringer off. I used it only for emergencies.

However with our move I upgraded my phone to an iPhone and honestly I rather enjoy it. Also, since we no longer have a hard line it’s my only phone.

I still prefer email or texting but I will answer the phone now.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All still immune here, all is well. I took down my blackworm tank for the move. I think we sold the house and their inspector is coming over today to inspect things. Even he will find my fish immune although all the outlets and "creative" electrical work he may not appreciate or understand. :eek:
But I will try to convince him that all of that will be gone when I take everything out of the tank and attempt to move it 60 miles.
This will be a good test of immunity because I am buying a new tank and filling it with NSW from the beach near my home there and will just warm it up before I throw in any fish and coral that survive the move. :confused:

They will go from very old water with 160 nitrates to very new water with no nitrates which may upset their stomach a little. I will add some of the old water to keep some of any bacteria and parasites that are in there just for kicks. :rolleyes:

The water will come from here. I suppose it will warm up a little before then or my powerheads will make a lot of noise.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Paul ... just read thru some of the last few pages and I'm surprised you still look the same as before judging from this young Paul B picture .... vintage? ;)

Georgia001_zps1ca2991b.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Paul ... just read thru some of the last few pages and I'm surprised you still look the same as before judging from this young Paul B picture .... vintage? ;)

Georgia001_zps1ca2991b.jpg
I have an even older picture of Paul B and Atoll doing a little recreational hunting.

upload_2018-3-14_7-38-10.png

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All still immune here, all is well. I took down my blackworm tank for the move. I think we sold the house and their inspector is coming over today to inspect things. Even he will find my fish immune although all the outlets and "creative" electrical work he may not appreciate or understand. :eek:
But I will try to convince him that all of that will be gone when I take everything out of the tank and attempt to move it 60 miles.
This will be a good test of immunity because I am buying a new tank and filling it with NSW from the beach near my home there and will just warm it up before I throw in any fish and coral that survive the move. :confused:

They will go from very old water with 160 nitrates to very new water with no nitrates which may upset their stomach a little. I will add some of the old water to keep some of any bacteria and parasites that are in there just for kicks. :rolleyes:

The water will come from here. I suppose it will warm up a little before then or my powerheads will make a lot of noise.

That’s good news! The inspector is going to love you haha. You know how picky they are. I just sold my house and had a million hits because of my tanks electrical. That was fun trying to explain.

Anyways, I did the same as you. I tore down 6 tanks which was around 500gallons and setup a new 700gallon system with nsw. I let the temp get up then I took everything out of the current tank. Drove it all in brute garbage cans a hour and started putting it into the new system. Rock fish and coral all survived. Not one loss. I’m sure yours will go just the same. What a long day of work tho. My hands and back were glad that is over. Wish I was closer I’d gladly lend you a hand. Keep us posted and good luck with everything!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inspector came and said, "I never saw a home like this, I can't find one thing to write up, not one." He also said He would move here if he could. :D
He told the buyers that too which made me happy. The guy also has a fish tank so he understood my thousand outlets.

I will be ordering a new 125 gallon tank soon but I am still torn if I want a new fangled sump yet. I am not sure if I want the thing drilled with that overflow in the corner. I know I will be trying to fish my bluestripe pipefish and clown gobies out of there every two days.

I am planning to add a lot more small "interesting fish" like I have now rather than boring angels and tangs although I need to add at least one Naso tang for all the people who say it won't live there because of all the parasites. :cool: The things we need to do to prove things. I just hope I can catch it to give it away after it gets a foot long. :rolleyes:

I bought the redwood to build the stand out of but we still have snow on the ground here and my radial saw is covered with parts of the "industrial bed" I just built so I don't have room to work yet. It should only take a few hours to build. I also have to build it so I can take it apart to fit in my car so I can get it out there.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my tank build will be me hauling buckets of water out of the ocean. If I get time (I am waiting for varnish to dry now on the "guts" of the bed I built before I can put on a second coat)

I want to make a 12 volt bilge pump with a FIFTY FOOT hose on it along with a wire to connect to my car so I can throw it in the ocean and pump water into buckets in my car. I can back up to here and be just about in the water but it is rough so I will have to walk out on this little pier to collect.
The last time I went here to collect Dorothy Hammil was taking up all the room skating in figure 8s. (Google her)

I will need some time to warm that water up or else I will have to wrap each fish in bubble wrap to stay warm and they frown on that.

I also want to build a large "rock" support the 6' length of the tank to support my entire reef structure off the bottom. I don't see me getting that time and I also would have to soak it in water for a while. If they would let me I would put a rope on it and throw it in my boat slip to cure, but that also ain't gonna happen.

I am planning on losing most if not all of my corals. In my new place in the tank space there is no heat, almost no electric, no water, no drain so I have a little work to do before the tank will be functioning semi correctly. But before I do anything with the tank except put water and fish in it I need to do a lot of other work in the place like install lights. i didn't want the builders lights, I built my own along with the bed and some of the furniture so I have to put in all that stuff. I will also be putting in an elevator as my condo is above the workshop and garage and my wife has MS so she doesn't do stairs well. That is why I doubt I will have corals left.

I also have no tank light except for my present water cooled LEDs which are to small for that tank but for a while they will have to do.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
We know corals are pretty resilient so why not just throw (ok, place) them into a tub and see what happens? Nothing fancy just go to a local feed store and find something that you think works, maybe add a heater, power head, and see what happens. Storms happen all the time and reefs get beat and banged up - maybe this would be something similar - who knows.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can just put them in my tank but my lighting will not be very bright and I won't have my RO/DI set up for a while. If they live, they live. I hope so but I am not counting on it.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my tank build will be me hauling buckets of water out of the ocean. If I get time (I am waiting for varnish to dry now on the "guts" of the bed I built before I can put on a second coat)

I want to make a 12 volt bilge pump with a FIFTY FOOT hose on it along with a wire to connect to my car so I can throw it in the ocean and pump water into buckets in my car. I can back up to here and be just about in the water but it is rough so I will have to walk out on this little pier to collect.
The last time I went here to collect Dorothy Hammil was taking up all the room skating in figure 8s. (Google her)

I will need some time to warm that water up or else I will have to wrap each fish in bubble wrap to stay warm and they frown on that.

I also want to build a large "rock" support the 6' length of the tank to support my entire reef structure off the bottom. I don't see me getting that time and I also would have to soak it in water for a while. If they would let me I would put a rope on it and throw it in my boat slip to cure, but that also ain't gonna happen.

I am planning on losing most if not all of my corals. In my new place in the tank space there is no heat, almost no electric, no water, no drain so I have a little work to do before the tank will be functioning semi correctly. But before I do anything with the tank except put water and fish in it I need to do a lot of other work in the place like install lights. i didn't want the builders lights, I built my own along with the bed and some of the furniture so I have to put in all that stuff. I will also be putting in an elevator as my condo is above the workshop and garage and my wife has MS so she doesn't do stairs well. That is why I doubt I will have corals left.

I also have no tank light except for my present water cooled LEDs which are to small for that tank but for a while they will have to do.
Girlfriend (and half the girls in school) had a Dorothy Hamill haircut.

[emoji4]

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 61.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back