OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The elevator logistics are still in the dark ages because I am surrounded by Jibonies. Between the elevator contractor and the builder I still don't have a permit. If they allowed me to do this myself, by next Tuesday I could have the elevator and built it already. :confused:

The builder doesn't want to get involved because he won't make any money on it and the contractor I think is in a coma. I am not allowed to get the permit myself because I don't yet own the property.
I will call AGAIN today just to waste a call.:mad:

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a polite letter from the lawyer about the disability issue and discrimination? A good builder should be willing to work with you within reason, I'm assuming your paying for permits required?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the problem, he is not a good builder. He is a horrible builder and he knows it. He also knows I was in construction way before he was born so he doesn't want me on the property because I know stuff.
I asked him if I could see the prints once so I could design something and I wanted to see where the furnace was going. He told me, the job isn't making enough money so they couldn't afford to have someone draw prints.

Not only the obvious thing like, how did he get a building permit but the less obvious thing like how do the men who are building the place know what to build? Like do they just install things where they fall off the truck.
I mean, are you kidding me!
The electrician told me the same thing. They just install outlets and lights where they think they should go. :eek:

I am like beside myself. I used to be a few feet to the left, now I don't know where I am. :rolleyes:

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, honestly is be making trips to the new place and taking a few photos every week.
Maybe throw in a call to town hall to make sure everything's in order.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing that since the beginning and I have photo's of every facet of construction, mostly because i will be moving doors, installing a whole house vacuum, putting in another bathroom in my workshop, adding an exhaust vent for my tank room and workshop in general, add outlets all over the place, add a sink etc. I had the electrician add a panel in my workshop just so I can start running as soon as I get there.

I don't want to tell the building inspector because the place is already 3 months behind and I have to close on this house soon so I will have to get out.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a 12 volt bilge pump with a FIFTY FOOT hose on it along with a wire to connect to my car so I can throw it in the ocean and pump water into buckets in my car.

You may want to look at the Shurflo diaphragm pumps, most models are safe with salt water and can pump well over 50 feet. I use a 110v version at my cottage to draw water from the lake and pump it over 100 feet away. It also comes in 12VDC and 24VDC.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New houses here in the UK are made of cardboard and paper mache the better ones are made out of hardboard and MDF. I do a fair amount of work (I am supposed to be retired) putting the poor workmanship right on family and friends houses. :confused:
These builders and carpenters aren't they are putteruppers with little skill, understanding or care. Give me an older house any day no older than built in the 70s. To these cowboy carpenters/builders, a joint is something you smoke. I was ina builders, merchants, a few weeks back and wanted 3 4" brass butt hinges but they only sold them in packs of 2. SoI tell the guy behind the counter they are or a 1920s heavy external door and he says 2 will be fine. Noooo way I had to give him a lesson in carpentry and hinges a mature builder behind me backed me up and says he also always fits 3 hinges etc. So the store assistant opens a pack and sells me 3 hinges I guess he knows when somebody better qualified corrects him ;) Mind you he did have a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp and sold me 3 hinges as if he had just lost $1000 ;Blackeye That I never had to do so much to a reclamation door in all my working life, 6 light window in the door had to be removed to create a single one and the joints had opened up I had to add 3/8" to one side. I had to splice where the old hinges had been as they were on the wrong side same with the lock. I told my daughter in law I was fitting the door for I threw similar in trash skips 40 years ago and she paid top dollar for it. :confused:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New houses here in the UK are made of cardboard and paper mache the better ones are made out of hardboard and MDF. I do a fair amount of work (I am supposed to be retired) putting the poor workmanship right on family and friends houses. :confused:
In my limited travel through Europe is seemed like the UK was the exception. Almost every house I saw seemed to have been made of concrete. Especially in Switzerland!. I was in awe of the number of concrete train cars I saw going all over the place.

Was this a false impression or is it really that different between the UK and the rest of Europe?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my limited travel through Europe is seemed like the UK was the exception. Almost every house I saw seemed to have been made of concrete. Especially in Switzerland!. I was in awe of the number of concrete train cars I saw going all over the place.

Was this a false impression or is it really that different between the UK and the rest of Europe?
Sounds like it is (I have not travelled so much in Europe just a few countries) but then I am not a big fan of concrete houses, give me good old fashioned brick any day.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The place I am buying is in a wealthy community owned by a country club and golf course. The building codes are very strict. Even here where I live is in an incorporated village and the codes are very tough. Every house has to be made of stone in the front and brick in the back. The walls are all dimentional lumber, the 2X4s are really 4". The place is well insulated and the wood it much thicker than anywhere else. I could land planes on my roof.

jeffyhound

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That is amazing. Sorry things are kind of a battle. I hope it works out.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evrything is a battle which is why I never hire anyone for anything if I can help it. I am trying to get this contract to sign to sell my house and I want to sell and the buyers want to buy but the lawyers make a big deal out of everything and complicate it to no end. There is no need to have any lawyers around when you buy a house. You should be able to go there with an M-11 wheelbarrow full of cash, dump it on the lawn and move in.

My real estate guy is from India and it is very hard to understand him. The buyers are from China and their real estate agent is from Hong Kong. Their lawyer is also from China and can't barely speak English. When these people get together with my lawyer who has no communication skills so the conversation, if you can call it that goes backwards, so much so that I can't tell If I am selling my house, buying my house or setting up an aquarium to raise Godzilla larvae.

We were supposed to get this contract 2 days ago but there was something written in there, probably in French that both lawyers had a problem with. So they called each other and now I am not sure where I am or if we will go back to the cold war.

My neighborhood here in New York is a mix of every nationality and culture and it is becoming mostly Asian and Indian which is fine. It's kind of interesting that I can go into the stores and buy stuff from all over the world. One of my Neighbors was born in China and he translates stuff to me that I sometimes find written in Chinese. My other neighbor is from India and he takes care of my house when I am away. The people behind me are from Sicily which is where my family is from so when we all get together on the corner to chat, it's like the league of Nations but we are all good friends. I love it.

But it doesn't help sell a house.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is paul all these lawers P**s in the same pot. It's in their financial interest to drag things out, well it is here in the UK and the bill keeps going up. The last thing any of them want is a trouble free smooth transaction that would never do. When I last sold and bought a house I did most of the work between my buyers and the seller of the house I was buying. I should have presented all 3 lawyers with my bill. which for the work I put in would have been greater than their own.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. Here now it is snowing and we are in for 8-10". I need to get this contract to the lawyer and I am going to pick it up 10 miles from here in the snow because the Lawyer is a snowflake and won't go out in the snow. That is not my job, then I have to deliver it to him if I can find him because being a snowflake he will be afraid to go to work. It's going to be an interesting week.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Indian & mainland Chinese lawyers that could hardly understand each other & how is it possible that they could actually figure out what they're talking about in legal terms ... o_O . All the best of Luck ... Paul B ;)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can't which is why I am trying to do everything myself. I never depend on anyone because you will never get things done unless you do them yourself

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can't which is why I am trying to do everything myself. I never depend on anyone because you will never get things done unless you do them yourself

Being Asian myself and I do share your frustration when dealing in such lingual mishap scenario ... Google translate yes please ...? ;Bookworm

There's a Chinese pun ... "it's like when a chicken & duck communicate to each other ..."

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being Asian myself and I do share your frustration when dealing in such lingual mishap scenario ... Google translate yes please ...? ;Bookworm

There's a Chinese pun ... "it's like when a chicken & duck communicate ..."
I tried to convince my wife that I couldn't complete my "Honey Do" list because I am bilingual and couldn't communicate well with myself. :rolleyes:

She didn't buy it. ;Sour

Back