Tank birthday, 47+ years

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My weather app called for a foot, but we wound up getting 8". I have a 100' driveway plus 2 parking spaces, and it took me about 3 hours to shovel this morning. I'm beat. I was hoping to get though this year without a big snow, but well...happy spring. Take care out there shoveling Paul.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My weather app called for a foot, but we wound up getting 8". I have a 100' driveway plus 2 parking spaces, and it took me about 3 hours to shovel this morning. I'm beat. I was hoping to get though this year without a big snow, but well...happy spring. Take care out there shoveling Paul.

You guys know they make snowblowers now a day right?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Indian & mainland Chinese lawyers that could hardly understand each other & how is it possible that they could actually figure out what they're talking about in legal terms ... o_O . All the best of Luck ... Paul B ;)
With a crack team of interpreters operating 24/7 using 1960s cold war codebreakers, sign language and some guy called Paul using common sense. :confused:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul. Everything OK?
Good question, this thread has been too quiet. :(

Hopefully he is just busy removing garbage can lids from his snow blower.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been packing for the move which is supposed to happen at the beginning of May. My tank looks particularly lousy as I have not touched it in quite a while. I have broken montipora all over the place and my nice large frogspawn has been shrinking. I can't remember when I added calcium so the thing must be starving. But on a better note, the fish are great, no ich, no psorisis, no nothing and the fireclowns still spawn whenever I walk in front of the tank in my underwear. :eek:

I just about finished building our new bed which looks like a huge industrial pallet with big steel wheels. I built the lights for over the kitchen Island and ordered parts to build the track lights over the rest of the kitchen. I really looked for lights I liked but can't find any. I prefer "different" and don't like the normal run of the mill stuff on Houzz, Amazon, Dirt Bags R Us or any other sites and Home Depot is way out of the equation. I go there for fertilizer.

Everything in the house will be industrial or steampunk looking and you have a hard time buying that stuff so you have to build it yourself, besides, I like building stuff.

I made most of the pieces for my new tank stand but I can't put it together because it won't fit in my car so I may have to assemble it there. I am not sure of the logistics of how I am going to move my tank as that all depends on the timing. I am sure I will lose the corals but I will try not to. If the fish don't jump out and they don't get a stroke in new NSW they may be OK. I have a huge room with one light in the center and one outlet 15' away from the tank. No drain and no fresh water near by so I will have to hook my RO up to a hose temporarilly. I don't think I will have more than a day to set it up, collect 125 gallons of water 20 gallons at a time, warm it, drive 60 miles, carry all my livestock, clean my gravel in the ocean and get it all in the tank. Remember I still won't have lights in my house and I have to assemble the bed and help my wife put away dishes, and everything else I accumulated in 40 years. Our boat is being moved there the same day but I can let the marina plug it in and wax it so I don't have to mess with that.
I will probably have to light my tank with a temporary something until I can manage to get my Water Cooled LED light over it. I will also have to put in a bunch of heaters because that space is not yet heated.

That will also be my workshop and that will take me about 2 years to finish building. I need to build my work bench, closets, storage and drawers all over it. I also will order 10 LED, "flourescent looking" lights from Amazon. I need to install a big exhaust fan, heat and AC the place, install a bathroom, water, electric. Before all that I wanted to install a floor (It's concrete now) but I may only have time to install it under the tank until I do the rest of the stuff.
My wife has MS and can't really help too much so we hope to have a few friends there to help.
If I had a week to work there before I moved, I would sleep there and complete all the important stuff but the builder won't let me there until I pay for the place and that can't happen until I get paid for my house and the people want to move in right away. I will get it all sorted out in time.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started building my new stand today for the 125 gallon tank for my new house. I will probably start a tank move thread when it gets a little closer to the move which should be in a few weeks. I am building this stand out of red wood because it warps the least of all woods except cedar which is much to weak. Redwood is almost as strong as pine but costs a lot more. These 2X4s in redwood were about $15.00 each. In the summer they are much easier to find because no one makes decks here in the winter. The legs are regular pine, non treated 4X4s. The hardware is all hot dipped galvanized and it is also glued with Gorilla Glue as it is somewhat water resistant. It is bolted together with 3/8" X 6" carriage bolts and nuts.
The 2X4s are dadooed or grooved into the legs for additional support. I still need to put in the lateral supports and bottom shelf If I decide to use one. This stand will be behind a wall so none of it will be visible.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Middle supports are for Sissies. :cool: There will be two 45 degree angle 2X4s at the front of the stand which will be up against the wall inside the closet. The back of the stand I may double up on the 2X4 at the top but I doubt it is necessary. The thing will support 24,000 lbs give or take 20,000 lbs. In my job as an industrial construction electrician I was many times called on to support things. The biggest was a 37,000 lb generator on the 22 floor of a building across the street from the Staten Island Ferry. I first had to get it up there using the largest mobil crane in the world. We had to take out insurance in case we crushed the subway running below. :confused: As far as I know, the building didn't fall down yet. :eek:
Its in that building in the foreground on the far right. :D

Fish tank stands are simple unless you are a Jiboni. :rolleyes:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be two 45 degree angle 2X4s at the front of the stand which will be up against the wall inside the closet. The back of the stand I may double up on the 2X4 at the top but I doubt it is necessary. The thing will support 24,000 lbs give or take 20,000 lbs. In my job as an industrial construction electrician I was many times called on to support things.

Fish tank stands are simple unless you are a Jiboni. :rolleyes:

Taking notes...I'd like to avoid Jaboniville and the third brace if I can. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good, no one wants to be a Jiboni. Almost all of the support needs to be at the corners but the middle of course needs some. A big piece of glass like on a 125 gallon tank will not sag in the middle as the 18" glass by itself can not bend on it's edge. But some support can't hurt. The bottom glass in that situation will also have great strain on it and we don't want the silicone there stretched.
I would imagine, BUT DON"T TRY IT that a 125 gallon tank could be supported just at the corners. But of course we don't want to do that as there will still be a great stress on the front and back glass. If you have an old tank that you want to throw out, try it. But keep away from it as it may crash. :eek:

A bridge doesn't collapse because of the structure over it, a tank works the same way. (almost)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 100 43.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 107 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.6%
Back