Tank birthday, 47+ years

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my first knee replaced ten years ago, my orthopedic surgeons name was Joel Hurt. Yes, that is his legit name. Before surgery, both he and the anesthesiologists prayed with me. After surgery, for “post op” pain, in addition to opioids, a mechanical pin was inserted into my back shoulder as a nerve pain blocker. My daughter removed it, three weeks after surgery. I was taking two opioids regularly. One of the two was synthetic heroine, which I declined extending prescription, because I saw too many things moving. It reminded me of Pink Floyd on The Dark Side of the Moon.

PS. Hug your wife. It is a good investment. The gift keeps on giving.

Metasyntactic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I still run that DIY skimmer as it is the only skimmer I have and would never think to buy one. The only other equipment I have is the reverse UG filter. This tank is a little larger so I bought a new one of those. My heaters are the same but I had to buy new lights. When I moved I transferred my DIY, water cooled lights which had open wiring. The new place was so damp where the tank is because of concrete floor and no drywall taping that the dampness shorted out the entire thing and I could not get it to light.
I have no other equipment.
I've been trying to get info on reverse UG filters for a while you're the first person I have seen actually use one. I'd love to know your experiences with it.

Does it help keep your tank bed clean by pushing detritus into the water column? What are you using under your gravel to evenly distribute waterflow? Is it your sole return or split with another return? Does the upflow through the gravel cause issues with CUCs that live in the substrate like bristle worms or fish that burrow in it? I imagine it'd make it harder for them to build burrows.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SomeMoreofSomoa_NurseStationTTS-059-001web.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin, shower is done. It was easy, I just put on my snorkel and slithered into the stall. :rolleyes:

I feel so much better and I am sure my wife was just thrilled to see me naked. :eek:

We are going to try to get to the bank this morning as my first attempt out the front door. I am waiting for the elevator contractor to come so he can manually get me down to the street level as the thing isn't completely finished yet. He is usually here by now but if he doesn't come today I will have to sprout wings and fly because I don't do stairs yet. Well I guess I can get down, but only once. :confused:

I can't drive yet, it must have something to do with the narcotics. ;Nurse

My wife tells me 2 of my corals don't look good so I am anxious to see them, but I am not sure she knows what a coral looks like, she may be looking at the mop I keep near the tank. :rolleyes:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to get info on reverse UG filters for a while you're the first person I have seen actually use one. I'd love to know your experiences with it.

Does it help keep your tank bed clean by pushing detritus into the water column? What are you using under your gravel to evenly distribute waterflow? Is it your sole return or split with another return? Does the upflow through the gravel cause issues with CUCs that live in the substrate like bristle worms or fish that burrow in it? I imagine it'd make it harder for them to build burrows.

Since I mimicked Paul’s system with a new tank build, I will answer some of your questions. In Paul’s Design, the flow is minuscule, which should answers most of your questions . In my design, flow is moderate at 300 GPHr across a 4’ by 2’ area with
2” deep substrate.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wet-salty-for-christmas-2017.428100/

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

People think that is the reason I go with a RUGF. It is not. It will not push detritus anywhere but there is absolutely no visible detritus.
The slow flow is to have some anerobic areas so that it does not produce nitrate very fast. It is actually much easier for worms and pods to propagate
and do the macarana. Worms will not dig into a DSB no matter what you read. They can only go where there is oxygen. There will be many times more life in a tank with a RUGF than any other type of system due to the oxygen level through it along with the food. Pods don't grow without food and the surface of the sand/gravel is very limited. People resist using a RUGF due to rumors, nothing more. The very oldest systems use RUGFs. I wonder why. :cool:
Also the very few tanks that utilize RUGFs have no problems with disease, parameters or anything else. Coincidence, isn't it. :rolleyes: I don't know, I am just a Geezer in Pain. :eek:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People think that is the reason I go with a RUGF. It is not. It will not push detritus anywhere but there is absolutely no visible detritus.
The slow flow is to have some anerobic areas so that it does not produce nitrate very fast. It is actually much easier for worms and pods to propagate
and do the macarana. Worms will not dig into a DSB no matter what you read. They can only go where there is oxygen. There will be many times more life in a tank with a RUGF than any other type of system due to the oxygen level through it along with the food. Pods don't grow without food and the surface of the sand/gravel is very limited. People resist using a RUGF due to rumors, nothing more. The very oldest systems use RUGFs. I wonder why. :cool:
Also the very few tanks that utilize RUGFs have no problems with disease, parameters or anything else. Coincidence, isn't it. :rolleyes: I don't know, I am just a Geezer in Pain. :eek:
Disney runs a RUGF system on their large aquarium at Epcot.
upload_2018-12-17_7-58-42.png

Smart little mouse!

Metasyntactic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2018-12-17_7-58-42.png

Smart little mouse!
Yeah, a lot of large aquariums do, which is what got me so interested but they aren't super common in the hobby.

and do the macarana.
Okay, that makes a lot of sense. In my experience, reefing advice tends to be 70% rumor 30% experience so it's easy for something to get a bad rep. That is why I try to find people with actual personal experience. I was thinking of having my main return also feed a UG filter instead of a separate pump, any thoughts?

So, it's piping, then egg crate? What goes on top of that to keep the substrate up and allow water flow? Any issues with rock weight?

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aroggonite is an ideal substrate because of its ability to perform passive alkalinity management and trace mineral addittion. CaribSea Crushed Coral at 2-5 mm grain size.

From my perspective, substrate becomes a powerful zooplankton reactor that feeds display live food.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey you can usually take a dose or two four hours apart. If your pain is getting high at five hours take them early. Don't let the pain get too high. Just do not exceed the safe limit on the acetaminophen which is 4 grams. Maybe have your wife do the math since you are on drugs. Ask your nurse . She can help. She can ask the doctor officially.... Or just use your best judgement.

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the excessive pain. You're tough though, and will come out of this OK. I hope the PT goes well as with you fully healing quickly. I'm happy to see that you still have your sense of humor. I'm also happy that wasn't your leg with the equipment stuck in it. I have to question those docs though...their form wasn't quite right. They should have rotated their hips into their swing a bit more. Power is in the hips, not the arms. Then again, I guess that is why Mickey Mantle wasn't a doctor.

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of you, Paul, and praying for the pain to diminish. Since you're nowhere near a snowflake, if you say it hurts, the pain must be REALLY bad! I always love your sense of humor....even when you're not feeling well, you find a way to be funny!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why wouldn't they? :rolleyes:

Yeah, a lot of large aquariums do, which is what got me so interested but they aren't super common in the hobby.

Long lived aquariums that do "not" use RUGFs are also not very common in the hobby. :rolleyes:

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. In my experience, reefing advice tends to be 70% rumor 30% experience so it's easy for something to get a bad rep. That is why I try to find people with actual personal experience. I was thinking of having my main return also feed a UG filter instead of a separate pump, any thoughts?

So, it's piping, then egg crate? What goes on top of that to keep the substrate up and allow water flow? Any issues with rock weight?

I don't go by rumors because I started most of them myself. And I don't know about the rest of your post as I don't use aggcrate unless I am sorting eggs.

Scubabeth, I am not sure how funny I can be today because I feel like my leg, which is a nice shade of mauve (which is not a Manly color) was run over by a very tiny Fiat carrying an elephant. The pain is almost at the tearing stage but Manly Men don't tear up. :D I spend a lot of time screaming, but only when no one is looking

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldn't they? :rolleyes:

Long lived aquariums that do "not" use RUGFs are also not very common in the hobby. :rolleyes:

I don't go by rumors because I started most of them myself. And I don't know about the rest of your post as I don't use aggcrate unless I am sorting eggs.

Scubabeth, I am not sure how funny I can be today because I feel like my leg, which is a nice shade of mauve (which is not a Manly color) was run over by a very tiny Fiat carrying an elephant. The pain is almost at the tearing stage but Manly Men don't tear up. :D I spend a lot of time screaming, but only when no one is looking
Paul please follow advise regarding pain control. Ask your doctor if you are scared.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask your doctor if you are scared.

Victoria, Scared! Why would I be scared to ask a Doctor something? :cool: The only thing that ever scared me was when I had to work overtime as that was a fate worse the death. I used to tell my boss all the time, "You don't have enough money for me to work OT: I needed to get home to my wife and fish (in that order) working OT is for people with no life. :confused:

I think I found out why I am in so much pain. I noticed this morning that my backside is all black and blue. So they must have dropped me off the table, then dragged me over railroad ties by my feet before they got me back on the operating table using a bumper jack from a 196 7 Oldsmobile Cutlass. That must be it. :rolleyes:

My PT girl will be here any minute to push me around a little. But she is very nice and loves my art work.

Yesterday we were laying on the bed and she was massaging my leg to try to get some of the swelling down. My wife called and I told her where we were and asked her if she knew where any massaging lotion was.
Only a great wife would laugh at that. A Snowflake wife would run home to see what we were doing. :D

Like this 40 year old Therapist would take that kind of interest in a lug nut like me. Like Really! :D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PT girl will be here any minute to push me around a little. But she is very nice and loves my art work.
You found a Physical Tormentor that loves art? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not believing it... PT's are way too cold hearted to appreciate artwork. o_O

Back