Tank birthday, 47+ years

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posted the following on a FB group about something they call disease control. [emoji848]

"In contrast to Joanna ( BTW she knows this) I know little about disease control and have no need for it, well the convential way and don't even advocate it but then I and a few more of us who have been around reefing longer than many on here have been on this earth are very unconventional even if our methods work for us. Would they work for you? Na your probably not old enough [emoji23] Strange hobby this reefing lark. [emoji848]"

I have my flameproof suit on

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday we went to see the Kids and Grand Kids in the East Village in Manhattan. I worked in Manhattan for 40 years and would rather have Nancy Pelosi stick me in the eye, twice with a sea urchin, then step on my busted knee with a high heel than go into Manhattan. So I have to stop before I tell you how I really feel about Manhattan. :eek:

Anyway we drive to the Jitney, depot and get on the bus. It's about 100 miles to downtown from here and busses are not built for people with new knees. You can't stretch your leg because for some reason they always put a seat in front of you.

An Hour and a half later we get to 44th st and Third Ave. And have to get a Taxi.
It's cold.
We hail a cab and it was a tiny cab with a driver who barely speaks English, but that is a requirement to be a Taxi driver in NY. If you can speak perfect English, they won't give you the job and you would have to run the French Fry cooker at Burger King.

My left knee is new and I can hardly bend it. My wife has MS and can barely bend her right leg. We are trying to get into this cab at the same time and to do this you have to put your butt in and slide all the way over to the other side to get your leg in. While I am trying to do this (carrying a cake, Christmas presents and a pie) My wife is trying to get in on the other side.

I don't know if you know what 44th st and Third Ave in Manhattan looks like but it is not like somewhere in Idaho.
WE have both doors wide open, I slide all the way in and pick up my leg with my hand to get that in. My wife has to slide in and get on my lap so she can get her foot in. (It's OK because we have been married for 45 years) Now we are both in and we have to close the doors with her cane. I have a cane that folds up so you can't pull anything with it or it falls apart. I am holding in my screams because this is very painful as my leg is practically on the drivers shoulder and my wife's leg is almost out the window.

The traffic is horrendous like it always is and it is a 20 minute ride.
WE get to our Daughters house and I have to get out to pay the guy. I slither out onto the street like a snake and my wife got out some how. Now I can't stand because new knees take a while to move. It must be some kind of aluminum problem. I get to straighten up to almost half my height and pay the guy.

Then my wife and I limp into Our Daughters house where there is a long walk to the elevator. We looked like those guys from the Civil War where one is carrying the flag, one has a flute, one has a drum and they have bloody bandanas on. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a very small pool but I can't really bend the leg much yet so I will have to wait to jump off my boat in the summer. :D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a very small pool but I can't really bend the leg much yet so I will have to wait to jump off my boat in the summer. :D
Real men wouldn't wait until summer.
upload_2019-1-7_12-21-28.png

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems my LFS has a Naso tang. Even though I don't like them if they still have it tomorrow afternoon I will buy it just as an experiment to see if it will get ich and croak in my tank. They also have a gorgonian I wanted. It's a 60 mile hike but I have to go to get my wife an MRI near there anyway.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my LFS but I didn't see the naso tang, or any tang. The gorgonian looked like he needed hospice so I also didn't get that. I even looked for some anemone crabs, but Nope, none of those either. If I liked clownfish, which I don't, I could have gotten some of those, but I didn't. I especially didn't get those designer Yves Saint Laurant clownfish, the white ones that look like Frankenstein. I am not sure why anyone would want such a thing unless you wanted to write your name or draw a picture on the white parts. So I had a pocket full of money and just came home with asparagus and other vegetables. Not very exciting. :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking over a few other forums where I wrote that I sometimes add, or used to add garden soil to my tank. I didn't invent that, it was Robert Straughn, The "Father of Salt Water Fish Keeping" and many people are aghast at that (I love that word and wonder where it came from)
Anyway as I was thinking about that I realized that for many years, long before Nancy Pelosi was born the sea has been coming in contact with garden soil. I realize this is very radical thinking but many people have never seen the sea. I personally think they should move but I digress.
The ocean normally contacts a beach which is in almost all cases just sand. It's sand because if it was soil, as many beaches were due to volcanoes, earthquakes and builders who make shopping centers near the shore, the organic material in the soil washed away leaving sand.

But all that soil including what runs off celebrities lawns including Seinfeld and Billy Joel, goes into the sea. Why is it such a foreign concept to see that soil is in the sea and always has been.
I added soil in the beginning for biodiversity. Do I know if any of that biodiversity lives in salt water or reproduces at all, No, I don't, but I still like the concept.

I know the tide pool where I collect things like mud, amphipods, messages in bottles etc. at low tide is almost all fresh water because it gets run off from a lake, but at high tide it is full salt water as the tide here rises 8'. Those amphipods, worms, crabs and I assume bacteria don't seem to mind the change and if I put my ear to the ground I can't hear them screaming when the water turns fresh. Even tiny horseshoe crabs are there by the thousands but I didn't really count them.

I think those small creatures can and do make the transformation to salt water quite easily, maybe not all of them but enough to add bio diversity to a tank. Just my thoughts of course and I could be totally wrong, especially about Mrs. Pelosi. :rolleyes:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On several marine sea grass forums, I recently read of hobbiest mixing compost in their substrate for sea grass tanks.

About ten years ago, I attempted a 150G sea grass tank. On one end I used peat moss inside of nylon screen liner inside of a laundry basket, then 6” of aroggonite over peat moss. Underestimating the buoyancy of peat moss, I put toooo much with insufficient weight above it. As I was filling 150G tank with water, it was disturbing to see 1/3 of tank substrate lift and then flip over allowing peat moss to inundate the tank. With 1000W of MH my air conditioning expense increased accordingly. This tank did not operate very long.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected water today. Notice the ice on the railings. The water is 40 degrees and the salinity reads about 0.014 but I can't get an accurate reading until it, and me warms up

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really surprised you use that long island sound water...When I used to live on the south shore - I would collect water near the mouth of jones inlet on my boat..I'd be wary of using that water in the summer,unless you filter the heck out of it.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and many people are aghast at that (I love that word and wonder where it came from)
aghast (adj.)

c. 1300, agast, "terrified, suddenly filled with frightened amazement," past participle of Middle English agasten "to frighten" (c. 1200), from a- intensive prefix (see a- (1)) + Old English gæstan "to terrify," from gæst "spirit, ghost" (see ghost (n.)). The unetymological -gh- is perhaps a Flemish influence, or after ghost, etc. It became general after 1700.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back