OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot2na. I have been collecting water from there and the western Sound almost all my life. I did have to filter the heck out of it today because I collected it at a boat ramp and the water was rough. I throw a bilge pump into the water with a hose on it and it pumps water into my Jeep.
The water was filled with chopped seaweed with all sorts of things and I could hardly see through it. I had to diatom filter it as I normally do when I collect it from the surf. If I take it with my boat, I don't have to do anything to it.
That is in the Long Island Sound but it is really the Atlantic because it is in Riverhead and 27 miles across to Connecticut there. :D

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The western sound is a stagnant toilet bowl...I stopped eating live clams from the south shore inland bays about 30 yrs ago when I lived there..
In the late 60's we'd go on our boat find a nice spot to clam ,rake up a bushel or 2...and while clamming smash one or 2 against the side of the boat and eat 'em right then and there . I would invest in some polyfilters in addition to that diatom...

Bighead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is great to be using the same filter system for all those years just goes to show most of today’s equipment is mostly hype and advertisements I’ve been reefing for almost 20 years and I keep everything old school and very basic it works for me

THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy belated birthday Paul. I haven't been hanging around the forums much these days. Hope that you and Mrs. B are doing well.
-Jerry

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jerry, How have you been doing? I have been thinking about you.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that you only thought about fish and supermodels. I'm not a fish, so that must make me a supermodel, bald(ish) head, wrinkles, and all! :D

I haven't been too bad. Have you turned into the 6 million dollar man yet?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water I collected warmed up and the salinity was 0.014 so I could either add some salt or buy some kissing gourami's. I added some salt, a lot of it.
The water is still slightly green even after diatom filtering it for a few hours so I was a little hesitant to add all 40 gallons of it at once. So I chickened out and only added 10 gallons. After a few hours the fish were still breathing and the corals looked fine but I have not gone down stairs yet to see if they are still alive. If they are, I will dump in the rest of the water.

I tested the salinity of my tank water and it wasn't much saltier than the water I collected so I said to myself. Self. OMG.
I immediately started to add some salt. Like a pint an hour but I have a long way to go to bring up the level. It got so low because in my old house the effluent from the skimmer went into a bucket and I used to replace that with salt water. Here the effluent goes right into a drain so I have no idea how much water I am losing. But I must have lost 10 or 15 gallons and the fresh water makes up automatically so I have to work on that so I know how much water is lost. I am surprised I have any corals but I guess it was so gradual that the corals didn't notice. :rolleyes:

The sea water here now is so low in salinity because it has been raining non stop for about a month. I am still surprised it is so low being it is really the Atlantic Ocean. I hope the green coloring isn't from land run off or it could be fertilizer. If it is, I may be selling lettuce out of my tank. A few more days should tell.

The sea was also dead low tide which I do not like to collect in, but it is going down to 9 degrees tonight so that was my last chance to collect for a while.
But if the tank crashes, it had a good run. :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night the tank was still up and running. :D All seems well so if I get time to heat the rest of the 30 gallons I may change that today.
I did notice a lot of hair algae on the back of my tank which I want to leave there for now. I am trying to get a tang just to prove a point so he can eat that if he likes.
It is 9 degrees here now and I have to go to therapy for my knee. I don't think I will wear shorts today though. I know the girls working there really like to look at my legs but they will have to get over it. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from an hour-long walk with the dog.
I would have just thrown the dog out the window and let him do whatever he wanted on his own. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jerry, Hi Paul. Did you happen to stop by my thread Paul? Don’t make me post a gruesome photo in yer thread to get the appropriate attention I need...lol

OK, let me try to get there now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back