Tank birthday, 47+ years

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Paul,
I wanted to let you know how much I’ve enjoyed reading your posts. This is the second or third. Time I’ve read it. Like you I am an “old salt ( or old fart if you prefer)”. I have been keeping aquariums for over 60 years, and saltwater for about 40 years. In the beginning I made DIY metal halide lights from landscape floods, a homemade wet/ dry and under gravel filter. I even made my own bulkheads from garden house parts. My longest running reef tank lasted 13 years. Unfortunately I have move into 6 different houses, 2 apartments in two different states, so I had to do a lot of tear downs and restarts. I no longer do much DIY. Living in Detroit I don’t have access to the ocean. I still feed my Fish live foods three times/ week and use frozen in between. I do water changes 3 to 4 times per year and I rarely test. I believe that stability and patience are the keys to success with reefs. Would love to meet you in person. Do you ever go to MACNA

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boat should be going into the water in a week or two but I still have not found a decent place to collect here on Peconic bay. The Long Island Sound has much more life, especially tiny life but there are few, if any rocky beaches here. I am still looking.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to cut back on this sponge and throw a bunch of it out. (unless anyone wants it)
It grows rather fast but it is easy to cut. I lie a lot of sponges because they eat microscope particles (and parasites I would imagine) and they keep the water very clear. I just need to watch it because it takes up spaces where I would rather grow corals.

I also notice my new, small hippo tang just started to swim around and not be afraid of anything has a white patch on his black stripe. I didn't look at him when I bought him out of a tank of a bunch of them. I just told the guy to catch one. I think it s a type of fungus but I am almost 100% sure it will heal on it's own with no help from me.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected water today as it was 70 degrees. The air, not the water which is probably about 40. I tested the alk and it is 5. No wonder my tank is so low. My calcium kit doesn't really work as I can't get the reagents out of the bottle. :rolleyes:

The salinity is also good for catfish so I had to add a lot of salt. I had to diatom filter it as it was a nice shade of green. Now it looks like gin and after I warm it up, I will dump it in. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard of birthdays. this is beyond that and in its' manner- an honor and adventure. I would love to hear of some of the occupants you have had throughout the years !!
This is surely A . . . . . . . . .

th

I am pretty sure I have had just about every fish that can be had besides local flounders, eels, sculpins, fluke, striped bass, blowfish etc. If it was small enough, I threw it in my tank. :confused: When they grew, or after they ate all my fish, I threw it back into the sea (or ate it) :eek:
Here is a page from my log book.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Soon" I am going on a trip to the Caribbean and I have a tank "feeder" who knows absolutely nothing about fish except to eat them. I would like a person on stand by in case he has a question or finds all my fish on the floor. I moved here a year ago and don't know many people here yet and I certainly don't know anyone with a fish tank. I live near Riverhead on Long Island if anyone is interested. I doubt you will be needed but just in case. If anyone is interested PM me. I would have to show you my set up and maybe give you a Shock Top beer. :D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Soon" I am going on a trip to the Caribbean and I have a tank "feeder" who knows absolutely nothing about fish except to eat them. I would like a person on stand by in case he has a question or finds all my fish on the floor. I moved here a year ago and don't know many people here yet and I certainly don't know anyone with a fish tank. I live near Riverhead on Long Island if anyone is interested. I doubt you will be needed but just in case. If anyone is interested PM me. I would have to show you my set up and maybe give you a Shock Top beer. :D
Probably help if they aren't afraid of Godzilla larvae, too. Or did they not acclimate well to the new tank? o_O

I'd love to help but I'll be closer to you in the Caribbean than to NY. ;Bored

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You people really need to move closer. :D

I would hop a plane and house sit for you and keep your boat in running shape but sadly I am no super model or any kind of model and I don't want to go down in history as the one who broke your long winning streak with aquarium success! ;Blackeye:eek:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul I know you will relate to the following I posted on another UK forum.
Back in the day well over 30 years ago those who knew better than us upstarts were always telling myself and a few more that you can't do that or it won't work, it will die etc etc. We pushed the boundaries, tried new things, did a lot of DIY etc and discovered much against the norm and held beliefs. We were pioneers back then and much is now taken as nothing special, well it was back then and no interweb of course just clubs and the old B.M.A.A, W.Y.M.A.A, PFK and later F.A.M.A.
I would be surprised if people on here knew just 2 of them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back