OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we first got married out TV had rabbit ears for an antenna and my wife and I would lay on the floor and we had to raise our legs and get them in just the right position to clear up the TV. Then we couldn't move or the picture would go out.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we first got married out TV had rabbit ears for an antenna and my wife and I would lay on the floor and we had to raise our legs and get them in just the right position to clear up the TV. Then we couldn't move or the picture would go out.
All you had to do was wrap your legs in tin foil. Let's not talk about the hats ha ha ha.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks PanchoG. It's only a knee and I will get over it. I just hate wasting time in a hospital. If it were not for the nurses, It would be a total waste of time. :cool:

I think this will be my 21st or 22nd surgery. I just love the sleep. ;Joyful

TerraMagnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks I remember from the 1970's (I was a child, but that's when I started) had metal frames and slate bottoms. I don't think I saw my first all-glass tank until the 1980's but then very quickly the metal frame tanks disappeared from the shops. My own first salt tanks were set up in the 1980's, and yeah we were still using reverse flow UGF's then with dolomite substrate. But the fish selection had gotten pretty good by then. I seem to remember that those with sump filters in the 80's were all about their bio-balls (I can't say that with a straight face) and rotating spray bars. Oh yeah... ozone & UV as well. All most of us could have was fluorescent tubes, and a few had metal halide (though I rarely ever saw them on any tanks outside of a public aquarium).

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1980's, and yeah we were still using reverse flow UGF's then with dolomite substrate.

I still use an UG filter and dolomite. :D

The reason tank bottoms were slate is because those tanks were around a long time and especially in England they didn't have central heat in homes so oil lamps were used under the tank to warm the water.

When they warmed it to much, thats when they invented clam chowder. :p

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is our annual Cousins pic nic about 60 miles from here on a beach with a shelter and electricity. We have been doing this for about 45 years as my wife has a very big family. Many of us old generation went to the big reef tank in the sky but there are plenty of Kids, Grand kids and Great Grand kids to take over. Many of them I don't even know.

My whiteworm isn't doing so good as it was taken over by flies. If I open the thing in my house I get a swarm of these tiny fruit fly looking things which I don't want in my house so they are outside now.

There are still worms and yesterday I flooded them for an hour but apparently these flies or their larvae have SCUBA gear so they don't drown.

Now I am going to seal them and put them in my fridge to see if the worms can tolerate the cold better than the flies.

If that doesn't work I am going to have to throw it out and start a new culture.
I hesitate to do that because I have had these worms for ten years and they evolved into much bigger and fatter creatures, much different then the skinny, Girly worms you get in a culture. I'm not sure if they are a different species or if they somehow got into steroids like Sylvester Stallone. :rolleyes:

Look at the difference in size from the early batch of worms and the worms now.
There were a lot of them, but they were wimpy. Now they are fat like Chris Christie, (Who I kind of like)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use an UG filter and dolomite. :D

The reason tank bottoms were slate is because those tanks were around a long time and especially in England they didn't have central heat in homes so oil lamps were used under the tank to warm the water.

When they warmed it to much, thats when they invented clam chowder. :p
Oil! We had central heating it was coal fired or peat which we mined ourselves. We had an open fire central to the room.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but you live in a third world country. Thats why we broke away from you guys. :p
Oh soooooo you didnt, your relatives moved from Europe to live in the US to get away from poverty and the Frence. We went to the US but didn't care for your burgers and fries so moved back. We heard Trump was going to be president which was enough to scare us back but we went out of the fire into the frying pan.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got George Washington to scare you guys away. We also heard the Beatles were coming and wanted none of that and we thought those red coats were just to much and hard to clean.

We wanted nothing to do with the French because those clothes they wore made them look like Sissies. :)

We like it when Trump scares people away. :D
OK, never mind, you guys can come back, but keep those fish and chips there, that cholesterol will kill you. ;Vomit

My family moved from Sicily because all that wine drinking made us giddy.

Speaking of Europe, if it were not for us, there would be no Europe. Especially France.o_O

But we enjoyed helping you guys out. Let us know if Switzerland attacks. :cool:

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got George Washington to scare you guys away. We also heard the Beatles were coming and wanted none of that and we thought those red coats were just to much and hard to clean.

We wanted nothing to do with the French because those clothes they wore made them look like Sissies. :)

We like it when Trump scares people away. :D
OK, never mind, you guys can come back, but keep those fish and chips there, that cholesterol will kill you. ;Vomit

My family moved from Sicily because all that wine drinking made us giddy.

Speaking of Europe, if it were not for us, there would be no Europe. Especially France.o_O

But we enjoyed helping you guys out. Let us know if Switzerland attacks. :cool:

Oi! You can have a go and knock anything about us but don't have a go at our fish and chips, full of protein and fat I will have you know. Great with lashings of salt and vinegar, makes your burgers seem like cow Pat's.
Seeing you lot over there have no real history esp until.we arrived on the Mayflower apart from a few red Indians John Wayne all but eliminated.
As for Switzerland the only have a gay army, swiss cheese and Toblerone to sustain them.
We were fine during the war without you as we had the channel, spitfires and dads army to keep Mr.Hitler at bay. No need to stick your noses in but you yanks always have to step in.
So there.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I kind of liked Freddie and the Dreamers, the Buckinghams and Elton John, Or he from here? I don't remember.
I know he was Knighted by the Queen but if she had to rely on him for protection, she would be calling us again. :eek:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I kind of liked Freddie and the Dreamers, the Buckinghams and Elton John, Or he from here? I don't remember.
I know he was Knighted by the Queen but if she had to rely on him for protection, she would be calling us again. :eek:
There is only one kind of protection you need for Elton John but I don't think I can mention it on here.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my white worms in my fridge for 24 hours. (I have a special refrigerator in my man cave just for my fish (Beer).

The next day I didn't see any flies, but two days later the flies were back, only now they had on bomber jackets so the fridge thing may not work again.
I would imagine I could keep the worms in the fridge but I doubt they would multiply in there so I am looking for another way to eliminate them.

I know the worms live for five days in salt water so I may flood them for 24 hours and see if the flies survive. I may end up with a stinky mess so if I do.
(I had to delete the last sentence as it may not be PC and I don't want the Mods to sneak up to my house and put a bag of dead sea cucumbers there, light it on fire, ring my door bell and run away. Then take away my Excellence banner) :rolleyes:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back