Tank birthday, 47+ years

U

User1

View Badges
Good morning. Looks like a emerald crab but who knows. I sure don't. I do believe that all tanks need them. Or should have them. A nice crab if there is such a thing or one that hobbyists are willing to accept collateral damage should they go rogue. As above so below - top to bottom. Life must exist to the best of our ability in our reef - that balance.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's an emerald crab. I went to a LFS and I am not sure the guy working there knew what he was doing. I asked how much those crabs were and he said like $2.75 each so I said, give me a dozen. It sounded cheap to me but what do I know.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a reply I got from my friend Roy when he posted a video on FB of his tank, a very nice SPS tank at that. I asked him about his rusty angel but more importantly about his itch magnets, his regal and powder blue tangs.

"Nah, the rusty angel is fine with the corals, but hes a very territorial character. The regal gets the occasional spot but it never is a problem (touch wood)...and doesn't get worse. In fact the powder blue had a few spots when introduced, but they disappeared within a day or two and never returned."

Roy practices a similar approach to me when it comes to keeping fish, he never QTs and doesn't worry about disease.
Now, we hear a lot of people say such things like, put an itch magnet like a powder blue in your tank without QTing it first along with whatever is their poison of choice and I guarantee your tank will break out in itch, whitespot,even coronavirus.
Well there's Roys reply to my question about disease in his tank. We have known one another for over 30 years, he doesn't go on forums so much due to the expert haters who tell him he's nuts etc, where have we heard that kind of thing before or that our methods are madness and unworkable?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was lucky to find another black female leopard wrasse in a local LFS.
The new one is slightly larger than my other so hopefully the larger one will turn male as I like my fish to be lovey lovey together. :rolleyes:
20200313_163713.jpg
20200313_163950.jpg
20200313_164033.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those guys normally jump out in my tank, but yesterday I added a "barrier" on the back top so at least they can't jump from there.

he doesn't go on forums so much due to the expert haters who tell him he's nuts etc, where have we heard that kind of thing before or that our methods are madness and unworkable?

I have been laughed off of forums for my practices. Most of those laughers are now out of the hobby as I have not heard of any of them in years. :cool:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those guys normally jump out in my tank, but yesterday I added a "barrier" on the back top so at least they can't jump from there.

I have been laughed off of forums for my practices. Most of those laughers are now out of the hobby as I have not heard of any of them in years. :cool:
Well Paul, perhaps they had a wipeout disease and all their fish died of copper or other medication poisoning.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is doing great but I have about 2,372 aiptasia. I guess my copperband was eating them, who knew?

I have been tying to get a new copperband and they are normally very common but for the last couple of weeks I have not been able to get one.

3 LFSs promised me last week that they will have them today, so tomorrow I am going on a quest.
I am getting my taxes done tomorrow and that is about 40 miles west of here so I will try some stores there.

I hate it when I can't even get a common fish. If I find some I may get two of them.

I gave up trying to get the types of fish I really want as all stores only stock silly common fish like tangs and some wrasses.

I have one Mother of all aiptasia about 4" tall and If I can find a spare tank I would like to keep that one for study as I never seen one that big. Nice looking animal. :oops:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my replacement copperband. I had to bring my wife for a procedure and she isn't taking it to well so I had to run in and run out of the LFS. He had 2 copperbands but one was a little larger than a quarter and one was about 2 1/2"

I was going to take both of them, but I opted for only the larger one because sometimes they don't get along and tear each other up.

I acclimated him for about 5 minutes and he is in my tank seeming fine.
I didn't even have time to look at him so I just told the guy to bag him.

They came in last night so I knew he wouldn't eat anyway but if I had time, I would have looked at him better.
He didn't have any other fish I wanted and I had to get my wife right home anyway.

I will take a picture when I get time.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my replacement copperband. I had to bring my wife for a procedure and she isn't taking it to well so I had to run in and run out of the LFS. He had 2 copperbands but one was a little larger than a quarter and one was about 2 1/2"

I was going to take both of them, but I opted for only the larger one because sometimes they don't get along and tear each other up.

I acclimated him for about 5 minutes and he is in my tank seeming fine.
I didn't even have time to look at him so I just told the guy to bag him.

They came in last night so I knew he wouldn't eat anyway but if I had time, I would have looked at him better.
He didn't have any other fish I wanted and I had to get my wife right home anyway.

I will take a picture when I get time.
Much more importantly of course I hope your wife is OK Paul.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats nice run. If I had my original AGA 55 I got in 89 it would be about 32. Of course it burst after a couple years and I ran out in a hurry and bought a perfecto 90 which wasn't much better. Wish Oceanic was still around... my current 200 is one of the last of the deep sea aquatics which was the last hint of Oceanic. Fortunately I didn't need warranty service because they went belly up right after I bought.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, she got a brace for her leg today and she is feeling really bad. They take a mold of your leg and custom make the thing, The thing goes from under her foot all the way up her leg as far as it can go. She can't wear it under clothes as it is big and bulky. My wife was athlete and this is not working well for her. MS sucks.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, she got a brace for her leg today and she is feeling really bad. They take a mold of your leg and custom make the thing, The thing goes from under her foot all the way up her leg as far as it can go. She can't wear it under clothes as it is big and bulky. My wife was athlete and this is not working well for her. MS sucks.
Sorry to hear that Paul. I hope her mind over it will improve if her body can't so much. Maybe modern medicine will find a way to help, never give up on hoping and believing. You guys have been together a long time and love each other very much, at least that won't change and you will be there for her. God bless.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband is still hiding which is not a good sign. He is also not eating worms which is another bad sign. Like I said, I didn't have a chance to look at this fish before I got him so I am not sure what the outcome will be.

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband is still hiding which is not a good sign. He is also not eating worms which is another bad sign. Like I said, I didn't have a chance to look at this fish before I got him so I am not sure what the outcome will be.
Sorry to hear.. Hopefully the copperband starts eating..
I'm sorry to hear about your wife. My sister has been dealing with MS for 40 years.. not good..

Litho-

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't sound promising Paul. They can be extremely difficult when they are at that stage. At least mine was out and about looking at food, it was just getting it to accept the right food then weaning it into others after I got it started on mussel in the shell first. Good luck with it but I fear for it. ?

Back