Tank birthday, 47+ years

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happy anniversary Paul! Me and my wife had our 26th this July and people are amazed that we have been married that long since we are only in our early 50s! Most of our friends have been married and divorced! No commitment anymore. I guess those are the same types of people that have a saltwater aquarium for 2 or 3 years and then throw in the towel after the first problem or two!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it and didn't think that so many people even read this nonsense thread. :)
90% of it is not even about fish and another 9% I wrote myself. :confused:

Lacynic, I especially thank you for remembering my good Buddy Tommy. I really miss him as I saw him and his wife, my other great friend almost every week. His wife is going to stay with us for a few days next week.
Most of our friends are still married and we have a lot of very close friends.

Last night my wife had a Zoom call with the Lady friends in the crowd. There were about 8 or 9 of them on the call which lasted two hours. These 'girls" were many of the original 14 "Girls" that took me out to dinner the week I got drafted in 1969. My wife was not one of them because she was a little younger and not in the crowd at that time.

Those "Ladies" all got married and most of us have all remained close friends even though one of them moved to Florida, one to Hawaii, one is in Arizona, one in North Carolina and the rest live here on Long Island.
Every few years they all come home to New York for a reunion.
Sometimes on our boats.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishybizzness, you are correct, few people stay married any more, like how many people stay in this hobby.
I couldn't imagine living without my wife. We just came back from a really nice breakfast in a muffin factory on a farm.
Then we went to farm stands for produce, plants, pies and just to kill time. Later we are going out to the east end of Long Island to a park on the water just off Plum Island just for the ride then to a really nice seafood restaurant on the sea.

We are still best friends and hang out together just as we did before we were married 47 years ago.
We move a lot slower now but have not lost any feelings at all for each other, if anything it grew stronger. :D

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishybizzness, you are correct, few people stay married any more, like how many people stay in this hobby.
I couldn't imagine living without my wife. We just came back from a really nice breakfast in a muffin factory on a farm.
Then we went to farm stands for produce, plants, pies and just to kill time. Later we are going out to the east end of Long Island to a park on the water just off Plum Island just for the ride then to a really nice seafood restaurant on the sea.

We are still best friends and hang out together just as we did before we were married 47 years ago.
We move a lot slower now but have not lost any feelings at all for each other, if anything it grew stronger. :D

A true roll model, 26 years and still learning more about each other, hope to make 47 , if I don’t die first or she kills me. Lol

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A true roll model, 26 years and still learning more about each other, hope to make 47 , if I don’t die first or she kills me. Lol
Paulie, the first 40 years are tough, then it gets easier from there. We can't argue because we know what each other will say, so whats the point? :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am waiting to go out I started to look at my tank and I couldn't find my pair of Rainsford gobies that I thought were spawning. I grabbed a flashlight and snuck around behind my tank. It's a little dark there and as I was looking through the rocks, I noticed something on my gravel.
Thousands, or maybe millions (I didn't count all of them) of worms. I don't know what kind of worms but they are not bristle worms. I got thousands of them also and know very well what they look like.

These guys are smaller, grey and don't move much. It seems only the front half of them moves, or thats all that I see move and they don't move much.

They seem to be doing the Michael Jackson robot dance as they move in jerky "twitches". Looking at them with a jewelers loupe (yes I am weird) I didn't notice a feathery plume so I don't think they are tiny feather dusters and I have no idea what they are.

They seem to shun light as none of them are in the light and I assume they are filter feeders and they live all through my gravel over my reverse undergravel filter.
I also notice back there that my gravel is "awash" in copepods which is good.
I am going to research these things but I am all excited about them as I get excited whenever I find something new.
On a day that it is not my anniversary I am going to try to remove some to put under a microscope. For now I took some pictures which wasn't easy as I had to hold the camera and a flashlight and take the pictures from an inch away.
If anyone knows what they are, let me know.

PS I did see my Rainsford Gobies.
Worms.JPG

003.JPG

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am waiting to go out I started to look at my tank and I couldn't find my pair of Rainsford gobies that I thought were spawning. I grabbed a flashlight and snuck around behind my tank. It's a little dark there and as I was looking through the rocks, I noticed something on my gravel.
Thousands, or maybe millions (I didn't count all of them) of worms. I don't know what kind of worms but they are not bristle worms. I got thousands of them also and know very well what they look like.

These guys are smaller, grey and don't move much. It seems only the front half of them moves, or thats all that I see move and they don't move much.

They seem to be doing the Michael Jackson robot dance as they move in jerky "twitches". Looking at them with a jewelers loupe (yes I am weird) I didn't notice a feathery plume so I don't think they are tiny feather dusters and I have no idea what they are.

They seem to shun light as none of them are in the light and I assume they are filter feeders and they live all through my gravel over my reverse undergravel filter.
I also notice back there that my gravel is "awash" in copepods which is good.
I am going to research these things but I am all excited about them as I get excited whenever I find something new.
On a day that it is not my anniversary I am going to try to remove some to put under a microscope. For now I took some pictures which wasn't easy as I had to hold the camera and a flashlight and take the pictures from an inch away.
If anyone knows what they are, let me know.

PS I did see my Rainsford Gobies.
Worms.JPG

003.JPG
That's very interesting!
Have you had a closer look yet?

And happy anniversary!!

Tony

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't looked close yet but I just got them a week or two ago and I need to fatten them up. They will spawn soon. All healthy fish spawn constantly. Thats if you don't quarantine or medicate them of course. :p

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back