OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ruby Red dragonette is pregnant again. You really can't stop healthy fish from spawning. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
If I had the time and space I would raise these things and mandarins. Very easy fish as long as your tank is set up properly. :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I took out my wife's bathtub so I could do the plumbing and electric for the new walk in, handicapped, jacuzzi tub.

I had to promise our Daughter that I would get a contractor for this because she figures I am to old and should just watch someone else put it in.

I did try. I hired a contractor and twice he stiffed me so I did like I always do and just did it myself.
I don't know how people live if you have to hire someone for the simpliest things.

So far I have never hired anyone for anything except dentists and I am not crazy how they do things either. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Tub coming out.JPG

Tub out.JPG

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I took out my wife's bathtub so I could do the plumbing and electric for the new walk in, handicapped, jacuzzi tub.

I had to promise our Daughter that I would get a contractor for this because she figures I am to old and should just watch someone else put it in.

I did try. I hired a contractor and twice he stiffed me so I did like I always do and just did it myself.
I don't know how people live if you have to hire someone for the simpliest things.

So far I have never hired anyone for anything except dentists and I am not crazy how they do things either. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Tub coming out.JPG

Tub out.JPG
Very unique way of removing a bath ha ha.
In 25 years since qualified as plumbing and heating engineer,I've never seen it done that way before ^_^
Saves taking tiles out to remove bath I guess.
I'm struggling to see how whoever put the bath in could screw the bath tub legs to the floor or bracket and screw it to back wall as doesnt look like has a panel at the front to remove and get under the bath.
Is that front part of bath all connected all in obe bath?
As in england most baths have a bath panel and some kind of legs.

When I've took baths out that installer had tiled on top of the bath itself on back wall,I just remove panel,disconnect all pipes/ waste then either drop the legs or remove altogether then cut back silicone then slide bath out now legs are lower or removed.
Having trouble understanding how that bath could 9f been installed.unless there actually is a panel at front ?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ying yang, are you talking about the tub I took out or the one I am installing?
I removed the old one like that so as not to damage the tile. I had to cut the lip off on the sides because of course it went under the tiles. It wasn't that hard to do.

The new tub is 350 pounds (thats weight here not money) You are correct, you can't get behind it but I devised a way to install the thing.

My job as a commercial construction electrician in Manhattan was mostly moving and installing electrical equipment as the buildings went up. All that equipment was much heavier than a bath tub so I am pretty good at it.

Once I had to install a 37,000 LB generator on the 20th floor or a building in a 20' set back that set out again 2 floors up.

This job, the waste pipe is the challenge. But I think I got it. :D
Of course moving it around isn't easy. It used to be but now I am 73 years old. :oops:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul pur bath is similar. To get it out we would have to cut it in half as both ends and the side are buried in the walls. That is not uncommon at all with fitted bath so of course you did the right and easiest thing to do to get it out.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the one you took out.
Is the bath all one piece? Like it hasn't got a front panel?
And if it hasn't got a front panel,how do you adjust the legs when it's in situ kind of thing,also connecting the waste pipe ? Is this done from behind wall on right side or from underneath maybe and connecting taps to bath,I see they up on tiles so no problem there,but see you access maybe behind the taps.
Just struggling to see how anyone could attach bath to back wall and adjust legs to Install bath level etc.

Screenshot_20220509-130615_Chrome.jpg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the one you took out.
Is the bath all one piece? Like it hasn't got a front panel?
And if it hasn't got a front panel,how do you adjust the legs when it's in situ kind of thing,also connecting the waste pipe ? Is this done from behind wall on right side or from underneath maybe and connecting taps to bath,I see they up on tiles so no problem there,but see you access maybe behind the taps.
Just struggling to see how anyone could attach bath to back wall and adjust legs to Install bath level etc.

Screenshot_20220509-130615_Chrome.jpg
Most tubs over here are fiberglass shells with a flange on 3 sides. The flange screws to the studs. Then the wall board or dura-rock and tile. Finally the tile. Having front legs would be better just not seen then in the trade here. Instead we have to shim level and then finish. Steel tubs are the same but no screw to the wall flange.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ying Yang, that tub I took out was a cheap builders tub. There are no legs or panels. You put a base of a cement like substance and stick the tub on it when it is wet so it conforms to the bottom of the tub.
Then you tile the bathroom.

You sit it on top of the drain and install the finished drain with stopper from the top. There is no plumbing as you said, that is in the wall.

I had to cut it in a few places so as not to damage the tile. I don't need those lower tiles but I consider myself a craftsman so I don't do sloppy work even if you can't see it. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

The new tub is much harder to install.
1652109052517.png

It is 350lbs so it is heavy. It can't easily be lifted into place because it takes up almost the entire space.
This tub had 8 legs.

There is a small access panel on the right by the plumbing. The tub comes with 2 stainless steel, flexible hoses so I will install valves on the wall on the right in that hole in the wall. I will be able to reach that from the small access panel on the new tank. I will hook up the hoses from there.

Tub out.JPG

I will also install the 20 amp electrical line from there and install an outlet on the studs on the left side of the tub. Thats also where they give you the plug to connect the thing.

The drain is a little bit of work. The bottom of the tub has two 2" horizontal PVC pipes on the right of the tub. They are 4" from the floor and 5" apart. I need to install a "Y" fitting to put them together and bring one 2" Pvc to the left side of the tub near that larger opening or access panel.

Then I will install a 2" trap in the floor in the exact location under that horizontal PVC pipe. Install a 2" elbow facing down and connect the two pipes together through that panel using a rubber no hub fitting. It will be hard to pipe it solidly and I want the option to remove this tub without cutting anything.

Getting the tub into place isn't easy. I will install another, smoother plywood under the tub which will bring it up about 5/8" inch. That will make that floor almost the same elevation as the tile floor.

I will remove the door stops on both sides of the bath room door frame so it will fit. I will put a shiny piece of masonite under the tub. to protect the tiles. Then someone (bigger than me) gets behind the tub and another person in front. I will spray the masonite and plywood under the tub with silicone to help it slide in.

They will move the tub as far into the space as they can, then using a step stool the person in the back climbs out over the tub. Then it is pushed back up to the tile.

I then sit on my porch and open a nice bottle of Pino Grigio and relax.

Of course it will need to be calked and a 6" piece of white granite will need to be installed in the space between the tub and wall as this tub is 6" shorter than the existing tub because you sit in it.
I will install steel brackets on the right side of the tub frame to hold the granite.

The thing has a pull out shower so we will also install a piece of glass on the left side a few feet up.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned much of my job was installing very heavy transformers, switchgear and generators in places where a worm can't get to. :anguished-face:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tubs over here are fiberglass shells with a flange on 3 sides. The flange screws to the studs. Then the wall board or dura-rock and tile. Finally the tile. Having front legs would be better just not seen then in the trade here. Instead we have to shim level and then finish. Steel tubs are the same but no screw to the wall flange.
Ok makes more sense to me now.as if no legs or connecting plumbing/ taps underneath then don't need access to it ( unless get a leak ha ha) and if installed all the waste pipe and just had to screw in last part in plug hole,could just lift up waste to do last screw in I guess.
Thanks

AquaGemCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow that's pretty cool. That is long time to have a reef tank. I am sure you have seen a lot of changes of the years.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here a quick 2 minute video,this is one of most common way to install a bath with bath panel as need to adjust feet,screw brackets to wall, connect overflow outside/ underneath of plug hole/ bath connector, taps on bath so ovbiously need connect to water pipes either soldered or flexible tap connectors then put panel on and remove panel if ever a leak.
We have fibre glass baths here,or acrylic, or enamelled steel or cast iron,not all baths like in video as some stand alone baths,and some can rest/sit on the lip of bath on concrete inside wall etc.

Just seemed strange on Paul's bath he took out,not how he took it out,as take it out anyway or easiest way it can Come out.
But with no panel or access panel or no legs and just sat on floor kind of thing like how I would Install a shower.

But different countries do things different ways I guess.
I still get amazed when go on holiday and they have little flushes on men's urinals so can flush after having a wee on a stand up mens urinal lol ^_^ as we don't have that here.

But lots different ways to do same thing hey.
And like I say,not all baths Installed like in video in this post

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ying Yang, that tub I took out was a cheap builders tub. There are no legs or panels. You put a base of a cement like substance and stick the tub on it when it is wet so it conforms to the bottom of the tub.
Then you tile the bathroom.

You sit it on top of the drain and install the finished drain with stopper from the top. There is no plumbing as you said, that is in the wall.

I had to cut it in a few places so as not to damage the tile. I don't need those lower tiles but I consider myself a craftsman so I don't do sloppy work even if you can't see it. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

The new tub is much harder to install.
1652109052517.png

It is 350lbs so it is heavy. It can't easily be lifted into place because it takes up almost the entire space.
This tub had 8 legs.

There is a small access panel on the right by the plumbing. The tub comes with 2 stainless steel, flexible hoses so I will install valves on the wall on the right in that hole in the wall. I will be able to reach that from the small access panel on the new tank. I will hook up the hoses from there.

Tub out.JPG

I will also install the 20 amp electrical line from there and install an outlet on the studs on the left side of the tub. Thats also where they give you the plug to connect the thing.

The drain is a little bit of work. The bottom of the tub has two 2" horizontal PVC pipes on the right of the tub. They are 4" from the floor and 5" apart. I need to install a "Y" fitting to put them together and bring one 2" Pvc to the left side of the tub near that larger opening or access panel.

Then I will install a 2" trap in the floor in the exact location under that horizontal PVC pipe. Install a 2" elbow facing down and connect the two pipes together through that panel using a rubber no hub fitting. It will be hard to pipe it solidly and I want the option to remove this tub without cutting anything.

Getting the tub into place isn't easy. I will install another, smoother plywood under the tub which will bring it up about 5/8" inch. That will make that floor almost the same elevation as the tile floor.

I will remove the door stops on both sides of the bath room door frame so it will fit. I will put a shiny piece of masonite under the tub. to protect the tiles. Then someone (bigger than me) gets behind the tub and another person in front. I will spray the masonite and plywood under the tub with silicone to help it slide in.

They will move the tub as far into the space as they can, then using a step stool the person in the back climbs out over the tub. Then it is pushed back up to the tile.

I then sit on my porch and open a nice bottle of Pino Grigio and relax.

Of course it will need to be calked and a 6" piece of white granite will need to be installed in the space between the tub and wall as this tub is 6" shorter than the existing tub because you sit in it.
I will install steel brackets on the right side of the tub frame to hold the granite.

The thing has a pull out shower so we will also install a piece of glass on the left side a few feet up.
Ok thanks for detailed response Paul,much appreciated and makes more sense to me now,wasn't confused on how you removed the old bath,but confused how whoever installed it,would of Inatalled it kind of thing,without removing ceilings in room below or removing or cutting access panels in room behind bath and room behind where overflow, drain is ^_^
But makes more sense now with yours and lowell lemon reply.
So thanks and good luck Installing your new bath/ shower and hope makes it much easier for your wife

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned much of my job was installing very heavy transformers, switchgear and generators in places where a worm can't get to. :anguished-face:
Ha ha yeah remember that only to well crawling in Crawl spaces so tight as sniper along them got belly on floor and 1-2 inch above my back before touches the wall or floor or joists etc then somehow got to spin over and then start soldering laid on your back and hopefully don't drip solder In your eye or solvent weld plastic fittings not dripping glue in your eye ir mouth lol.
Once had a good 100 metre crawl like this above a mezamine in a bakery with dead rats,live rats could hear scuttering around and spiders,spiders and more spiders ,whilst running some threaded steel pipe for some air line we Installing ( had little more room this time as had good 3- 4 inch above us ha ha) but only light we had was from small head light and other than that oitch black, remember nearly almost having small little panic attack but just had to stop, shut eyes and breathe lol.
But haven't worked for last few years now as back totally gave In so no more Confined spaces for me now,well mri scanners which just as bad if get an old one as only couple inch above your nose lol

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ying yang, remember you guys are in Liverpool and your standpipe or main drain is in the wall behind the bowl and tub. Here in the US 99% of our bathroom plumbing goes directly into the floor, not out the back. That is why your tubs need legs and you have them raised off the floor.

We install our tubs right on the floor so there is no need for legs or securing to the back wall. It just sits in some cement on the plywood floor.

My new tub sits on legs above the floor but that has Jacuuzi's, heaters and UV lighting under it. :)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later. I don't have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I have my own pad. I don't have a curfew. I have a driver's license and my own car. The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant and I don't have acne. Life is great. I changed my car horn to gunshot sounds. People get out of the way much faster now.
Gone are the days when girls used to cook like their mothers. Now they drink like their fathers.
I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row. I decided to stop calling the bathroom "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.
Old age is coming at a really bad time.
When I was a child I thought "nap time" was a punishment. Now it feels like a small vacation.
The biggest lie I tell myself is... " I don't have to write that down, I'll remember it".
I don't have gray hair... I have "wisdom highlights"! I'm just very wise.
If God wanted me to touch my toes, He would've put them on my knees.
Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators. We haven't met yet.
Why do I have to press one for English when you're just going to transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?
Of course, I talk to myself. Sometimes I need expert advice.
At my age "Getting Lucky" means walking into a room and remembering what I came In there for.
I have more friends I should send this to, but right now I can't remember their names.
Now, I'm wondering... did I send this to you, or did you send it to me?

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine. — Lord Byron

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, I love that and will be sending it to many friends and all of us have that same "situation". :)

Wow that's pretty cool. That is long time to have a reef tank. I am sure you have seen a lot of changes of the years.
Wildmon, Not only have I seen a lot of changes, I have seen all the changes. When this hobby started here in the US in 1971, I think it was on a Tuesday about 2 or 2:15 in the afternoon I was standing on the dock in Manhattan when the first fish arrived into the country. :D

Of course they were blue devils. The next week dominoes came in and soon after, for some silly reason copperband butterflies and moorish Idols. :oops:

I had them all as they were imported and killed more fish than "Starfish Tuna". But I eventually learned their secret.

Of course you have to grow gills to do that. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all the supply plumbing installed along with the electric. Now I am working on the drain which for this tub is a disaster and not well designed at all. After I get it in I am going to call their design department to ask them if they want to try to get their money back from the plumbing school they went to. :(

Back of tub.JPG

This next picture is up side down for some reason

Plumbing.JPG

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think this will be a test of my theory and my tank. My good "friend" is getting out of the hobby and he just came over with a bucket of fish and corals that I kind of had to take. He told me he had a "small" blue angelfish that I had to take with the corals because he didn't know what to do with it.

I opened the bag and found this.

This is a horribly sick tang. I am not sure what it has but it doesn't look good. I, of course threw it into my tank and it immediately started eating.

Sick tang.JPG

He also gave me this angelfish which while beautiful is way to big for my tank. Both fish are way to big for my tank but what am I to do? He is a good friend and likes bigger fish.
Koran Angel.JPG

This will be a test to see if my method can cure that tang but it doesn't look to good.
Really severe looking case of HLLE along with other things. :(

81oblermwfl-_ac_ul640_ql65_-jpg.1739204

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back