OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a little foggy on my walk this morning. But it is supposed to get near 90 today.

Fog.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My close friend for over 50 years and Viet Nam Buddy is being awarded today. They put him on an Air Force plane and flew him to Washington DC for a ceremony.
I don't know any details because I found out through his wife but will post something when he returns.

He was a Grunt in Nam and like me was awarded two Bronze Stars but he also got a purple heart. I didn't get one because I am faster than he is. :p

I am very proud of him.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to get rid of this guy that my
"friend" gave me. He looks horrible but he is healing. Now that he is feeling better he beat the moose out of my beautiful copperband and I don't know if the copperband will survive. He pushed him into a cave and won't let him out.

I have to try to catch him and he is to big to fit in my fish trap (if I can even find the thing)
But he has to go.

Sick tang.JPG

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beach behind my house you can walk 5 miles and not see anyone. The 176 steps going down to it may have something to do with it.

I walked down there this morning and off in the distance I saw something odd. It looked like a treasure chest from a Spanish Gallion filled with Copperband Burrterlies.

Beachwith dock.jpg

I got all excited and almost ran to it before anyone came by (even though no one goes there)

I got closer and closer.....Closer until,,,,,,,,Until,,,,I saw what it was

Dock.jpg

A floating dock from somewhere. Probably not Spain and nary a Copperband in sight..

I was so tired from the run I found this chair and sat down to ponder the universe.
Beachchair.jpg

Someone just left it there.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in my 60s now so I also don't know how long I will have, but I hope to get the tank to 50
I posted this in 2011. Now I realize I got my reward as my reef is older than 50. I can relax now and if it crashes next Thursday I will still call it a success :D

But many people will still it luck. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
=On another thread on this forum someone said my fish never died of ich and velvet because of luck.

So I said: If it runs with no diseases for another 50 years, will it still be luck? He said, Yes.

OMG thats a lot of luck. Maybe if it lasted 200 years it will be something other than luck. :oops:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It boggles my mind what people do to fish. I can't believe any of them live through this sily process.
You get a healthy fish from the sea then dose it with poisons in the hope the fish has something that you are curing while you are killing the poor animal.

I mean "de-worm" I never de wormed a fish in the 60+ years I have been doing this and I had more fish than StarKist tuna.

There is nothing wrong with the fish we are buying unless we gave the thing some stupid illness.

Then after we poison it a while, it gets something else, probably something I have never heard of.
I am sure I am doing something wrong because my fish would never get these things as they are not allowed to. :anguished-face:

I give up but I do feel sorry for all the fish we kill with what we perceive is kindness.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught that Scopus tang that I wanted to remove after he killed my Copperband.
I used a method I devised many years ago. I just kept a large net in the tank right near the front glass and for a couple of days I fed the fish right into the net.

After 2 days he was comfortable enough to go inside the net to eat. Then I just quickly move the net against the front glass and no more tang.

The other fish I caught with him were returned to the tank.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USA TODAY

Why do we observe Memorial Day? Here's the true history of the holiday​

Camille Fine, USA TODAY
Sun, May 29, 2022, 9:46 AM·4 min read

No, Memorial Day isn't about a long weekend road trip, backyard barbecue or sales. The real meaning of the national holiday is much more somber.
Originally called Decoration Day, Monday's holiday honors all soldiers who died during service to the nation.
Memorial Day was declared a national holiday through an act of Congress in 1971, and its roots date back to the Civil War era, according to the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
Unlike Veterans Day, Memorial Day honors all military members who have died in while serving in U.S. forces.
Ahead of this year’s holiday, here are some Memorial Day facts you might not know:
The Cavalry section of the Ulysses S. Grant Memorial is seen on the grounds of the US Capitol on February 25, 2014 in Washington D.C.

The Cavalry section of the Ulysses S. Grant Memorial is seen on the grounds of the US Capitol on February 25, 2014 in Washington D.C.

What is Memorial Day and why do we celebrate it?​

The origins of the holiday can be traced back to local observances for soldiers with neglected gravesites during the Civil War.
The first observance of what would become Memorial Day, some historians think, took place in Charleston, S.C., at the site of a horse racing track that Confederates had turned into a prison holding Union prisoners. Blacks in the city organized a burial of deceased Union prisoners and built a fence around the site, Yale historian David Blight wrote in The New York Times in 2011.
Then on May 1, 1865, they held an event there including a parade – Blacks who fought in the Civil War participated – spiritual readings and songs, and picnicking. A commemorative marker was erected there in 2010.
A marker in Hampton Park in Charleston, S.C., shown in this May 23, 2011 photo, commemorates the 1865 honoring of Union soldiers who died at a Confederate prisoner of war camp on the site. Some historians contend that the event in the city where the Civil War began marks the first Memorial Day observance in the United States.

A marker in Hampton Park in Charleston, S.C., shown in this May 23, 2011 photo, commemorates the 1865 honoring of Union soldiers who died at a Confederate prisoner of war camp on the site. Some historians contend that the event in the city where the Civil War began marks the first Memorial Day observance in the United States.
One of the first Declaration Days was held in Columbus, Mississippi, on April 25, 1866 by women who decorated graves of Confederate soldiers who perished in the battle at Shiloh with flowers.
On May 5, 1868, three years after the end of the Civil War, the tradition of placing flowers on veterans’ graves was continued by the establishment of Decoration Day by an organization of Union veterans, the Grand Army of the Republic.
General Ulysses S. Grant presided over the first large observance, a crowd of about 5,000 people, at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia on May 30, 1873. The orphaned children of soldiers and sailors killed during the war placed flowers and small American flags atop both Union and Confederate graves throughout the entire cemetery.
In this image from the U.S. Library of Congress, U.S. General Ulysses S. Grant stands for a portrait August, 1864 in City Point, Virginia.

In this image from the U.S. Library of Congress, U.S. General Ulysses S. Grant stands for a portrait August, 1864 in City Point, Virginia.
This tradition continues to thrive in cemeteries of all sizes across the country.
Until World War I, Civil War soldiers were solely honored on this holiday. Now, all Americans who’ve served are observed.
At least 25 places in the North and the South claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day. Some states that claim ownership of the origins include Illinois, Georgia, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, according to Veterans Affairs.
Children are seen along a Memorial Day parade route May 30, 2011, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Children are seen along a Memorial Day parade route May 30, 2011, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Motorists drive down Main Street in Waterloo, N.Y., Thursday, May 24, 2007. Waterloo is the birthplace of Memorial Day. More than two dozen communities around the United States claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day.  Yet the official distinction, signed into law by President Johnson in 1966, is held by Waterloo.

Motorists drive down Main Street in Waterloo, N.Y., Thursday, May 24, 2007. Waterloo is the birthplace of Memorial Day. More than two dozen communities around the United States claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day. Yet the official distinction, signed into law by President Johnson in 1966, is held by Waterloo.
Despite conflicting claims, the U.S. Congress and President Lyndon Johnson declared Waterloo, New York, as the “birthplace” of Memorial Day on May 30, 1966, after Governor Nelson Rockefeller's declaration that same year.. The New York community formally honored local veterans May 5, 1866 by closing businesses and lowering flags at half-staff.

What is the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day?​

Memorial Day and Veterans Day both honor the sacrifices made by U.S. Veterans but serve different purposes.
Veterans’ Day, originally called “Armistice Day,” is a younger holiday established in 1926 as a way to commemorate all those who had served in the U.S. armed forces during World War I. Memorial Day honors all those who’ve died.
Veterans Day is observed on Nov. 11 to signify the Armistice that ended combat in World War I in 1918.
After World War II, Armistice Day's purpose broadened and changed in 1954 to recognize those who have served in all American wars.
What's open and closed on Memorial Day?: What to know about mail delivery, store hours

Why is Memorial Day in May?​

The day that we celebrate Memorial Day is believed to be influenced by Illinois U.S. Representative John A. Logan, who was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives as a Democrat in November 1858, and served as an officer during the Mexican War.
It is said that Logan, a staunch defender of the Union, believed Memorial Day should occur when flowers are in full bloom across the country, according to the National Museum of the U.S. Army.
Congress passed an act making May 30 a holiday in the District of Columbia in 1888, according to the U.S. Congressional Research Service.
Now Memorial Day is observed as the last Monday of May.
In 2000 The National Moment of Remembrance Act – which created the White House Commission on the National Moment of Remembrance and encourages all to pause at 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day for a minute of silence – was signed into law by Congress and the President.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It boggles my mind what people do to fish. I can't believe any of them live through this sily process.
You get a healthy fish from the sea then dose it with poisons in the hope the fish has something that you are curing while you are killing the poor animal.

I mean "de-worm" I never de wormed a fish in the 60+ years I have been doing this and I had more fish than StarKist tuna.

There is nothing wrong with the fish we are buying unless we gave the thing some stupid illness.

Then after we poison it a while, it gets something else, probably something I have never heard of.
I am sure I am doing something wrong because my fish would never get these things as they are not allowed to. :anguished-face:

I give up but I do feel sorry for all the fish we kill with what we perceive is kindness.
But we don’t take them straight from the ocean. They go thru multiple holding systems in multiple countries that are teaming with disease

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But we don’t take them straight from the ocean. They go thru multiple holding systems in multiple countries that are teaming with disease
Not with by far the largest wholesaler in the UK they don't. Fish go from the reef to the holdng centre then to the UK where they rest in the wholesalers Trooical Markbe centre before going to the LFS. If they need treatment they are treated at TMC before they go to the LFS. Cant vouch for the US however.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I don't get sick fish or maybe if I do, they just get cured on their own with proper care.

Fishybizziness, things are going well. I just came back from going out to dinner on my boat with two other couples.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year I put 4 tires on this Jeep. I only buy American tires which isn't easy but they are out there and they say "Made in USA " on them.

I put on larger, wider tires so I could more easily goon the beach.

I first went to Firestone and asked them where their tires are made and they didn't know, so I said, Have a nice day.

Anyway I got a slow leak in one tire last week so I brought the car back to Midas where I got the tire because I (stupidly) bought the road hazard insurance with the tires.

The guy found a nail in the tire near the sidewall in a place he said couldn't be fixed. (I could fix it)
So he says: Oh good you bought the road hazard insurance so I figured I would get a tire for free.....YYYyaaaaaaaa.

Nope!

It seems the original tire (last year) sold for about $150.00 but now that tire sells for about $225.00 and the insurance only covers the original cost of the tire. :confused:

(I am sure the people who sell this ridiculous insurance know this) So I figure, OK so I only have to pay $75.00 for the new tire which isn't to bad. :D

Nope!

I have to pay for mounting, balancing and probably the Mc Donalds hamburger and large Coke the guy was eating when I came in. Then I have to "Re-Insure" the new tire because it seems the "insurance" only covers one incident. :oops:

So the new "Free" tire will cost me about $125.00 which is the amount I originally paid for the tire.

It is my fault because I broke my cardinal rule of buying insurance. I never buy insurance because it is always a scam. If I didn't have the insurance I would have fixed the tire myself in 3 minutes for about 35 cents. And I already have the plugs so I wouldn't even have to spend the 35 cents. :rolleyes:

Today they make a big deal out of everything and years ago these things were free or almost free as I plugged dozens of tires and never had a problem. But no one makes money when you fix things yourself.

Of course this is when I bought the car.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught that Scopus tang that I wanted to remove after he killed my Copperband.
I used a method I devised many years ago. I just kept a large net in the tank right near the front glass and for a couple of days I fed the fish right into the net.

After 2 days he was comfortable enough to go inside the net to eat. Then I just quickly move the net against the front glass and no more tang.

The other fish I caught with him were returned to the tank.
I thought that was a Yellow Tang?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that was a Yellow Tang?
Some scopas tangs can look identical with some very small differences. Some big differences are the eye and longer dorsal or anal fins. If it’s got a brown eye it’s usually a Yellow Scopas Tang, as for the elongated dorsal I’m pretty sure if I remember correctly this is a characteristic of the Scopas as well however I’d check the eye first personally.

Back