Paul B
10K Club member
View Badges
Excellence Award
Reef Tank 365
Reef Of The Month
Article Contributor
Rock Pool Reef Keepers
My Aquarium Showcase
- Joined
- Nov 3, 2010
- Messages
- 21,790
- Reaction score
- 73,699
- Location
- Long Island NY
- What state or country do you live in
- New York
MyDjeep Sounds like your tank is doing exactly what it is supposed to do and if you were to test now, you would probably just get the horrors and add something. Just leave it alone and let it do what it is supposed to do on it's own.
Ghill, nothing is wrong with your tank because you have macro's growing and you are correct that they are probably out competing the pest algae's. That is the best thing you want to happen to your tank. Any algae is good but macro's are the best.
There are some pictures of my tank on here from the beginning and some from when someone invented the internet, but the 25 or so years before that all my pictures are someplace on film. Film is like Scotch Tape but pictures stick to it.
This picture, Circa 1972 was my first real salt water tank. It is a 30 or 40 gallon tank filled with NSW from the Long Island Sound. When I got married and moved it was all carried to my new, very small apartment.
In 1979 we moved to our new house and I again carried everything to my new home where I put everything into the existing 100 gallon tank where it has been ever since.

Over the years I added all sorts f things like this codium I collected on the east end of Long Island

This blue devil was one of the first salt water fish imported to the US. I had 7 of them in that 30 gallon tank. Here the male is over his nest of eggs in that barnacle shell. Circa 1973

Here are the eggs

These shrimp were also in that first tank where they spawned for many years.

This is the first picture of my present tank Circa 1980 in it's present location. I was just building the basement around it as it is not finished here. You can see the white bleached coral skeletons that we used for tank decoration as there was no rock or live coral for sale.

This picture (or one very similar) appeared in "FAMMA" magazine around the 90s (I forget) I remember reading the magazine on the train and thinking, Wow, this guy thinks just like me. Then realizing, OMG, It is me. I sent in the article months ago and didn't even realize it.

The only major changes the tank has gone through is lighting and many home made skimmers. I remember when I set it up, there were no sumps at the time, but I wanted to hide everything so I installed a sheet of black plexiglass about an inch from the back glass with grills to let the water back there. Any tubes or heaters were in there but my fish kept somehow getting in there and it was a disaster to get them out, so I removed it. The tank was never taken down except a few times to re aquascape, but everything was always put back in.
Of course in those days besides fish, I was also interested in the Babes. This is me with my first Girlfriend Georgia.

Ghill, nothing is wrong with your tank because you have macro's growing and you are correct that they are probably out competing the pest algae's. That is the best thing you want to happen to your tank. Any algae is good but macro's are the best.
Paul, I've looked through your thread quite a bit but maybe I missed it, do you have progression pics? like day 1, year 1, year 5, year 10, etc..? I think it would be interesting to see how this transformed over the many years..
There are some pictures of my tank on here from the beginning and some from when someone invented the internet, but the 25 or so years before that all my pictures are someplace on film. Film is like Scotch Tape but pictures stick to it.
This picture, Circa 1972 was my first real salt water tank. It is a 30 or 40 gallon tank filled with NSW from the Long Island Sound. When I got married and moved it was all carried to my new, very small apartment.
In 1979 we moved to our new house and I again carried everything to my new home where I put everything into the existing 100 gallon tank where it has been ever since.

Over the years I added all sorts f things like this codium I collected on the east end of Long Island

This blue devil was one of the first salt water fish imported to the US. I had 7 of them in that 30 gallon tank. Here the male is over his nest of eggs in that barnacle shell. Circa 1973

Here are the eggs

These shrimp were also in that first tank where they spawned for many years.

This is the first picture of my present tank Circa 1980 in it's present location. I was just building the basement around it as it is not finished here. You can see the white bleached coral skeletons that we used for tank decoration as there was no rock or live coral for sale.

This picture (or one very similar) appeared in "FAMMA" magazine around the 90s (I forget) I remember reading the magazine on the train and thinking, Wow, this guy thinks just like me. Then realizing, OMG, It is me. I sent in the article months ago and didn't even realize it.

The only major changes the tank has gone through is lighting and many home made skimmers. I remember when I set it up, there were no sumps at the time, but I wanted to hide everything so I installed a sheet of black plexiglass about an inch from the back glass with grills to let the water back there. Any tubes or heaters were in there but my fish kept somehow getting in there and it was a disaster to get them out, so I removed it. The tank was never taken down except a few times to re aquascape, but everything was always put back in.
Of course in those days besides fish, I was also interested in the Babes. This is me with my first Girlfriend Georgia.

Last edited:


