Someone asked me a question about how I keep my tank immune, and I responded with this:
Actually my system always had an infusion of bacteria and mud. I am not sure the tiny percent of NSW I use is of any consequence. I have not even collected any in probably 8 months. I do add a little mud and did last week. But I am not sure that would do anything for the fishes immune system. I do that for the bacteria in the substrate to control nitrates. Does it do anything? I have no idea. I think the big secret is not the mud or NSW. I think it is the natural food with the live bacteria and possibly parasites associated with it. Many of us fail to feed properly. Just because a commercial food comes in a nice package with an angelfish on the front and is very expensive does not mean it is a good food. It could be, but most foods state right on the package
"irradiated to kill harmful bacteria and parasites" To me, that is a No no. We need to get live bacteria and parasites into our tank and the live bacteria should be in their food every day.
But before we expose the fish to parasites, they should be in excellent condition and spawning or making spawning jestures. DaveK and many people feel this is unattainable. I think they just don't understand how simple it really is. All it takes is some whole foods such as clams and live foods almost every day such as live blackworms. That is all you need. Clams are filter feeders and accumulate tons of minerals including calcium which is missing from many foods. They also contain bacteria as do live worms.
Fish in the sea eat live food at "every" meal. Fish in the sea are exposed to parasites "every day". That is what keeps their immune system ready to kill any parasite that attacks it. If you quarantine for a long period of time the fish will lose it's parasite immunity. Fish come to us already immune from the sea and they probably already have parasites. They are natural and normal and needed by the fish to even have an immune system.
We are in the dark ages when it comes to fish diseases. There are just as many tank crashes now as there was in the 70s. Just search on this or any other forum as to how many tanks crashed even if they were quarantined. You don't have to listen to me, just look it up.
In the 1900s my Grand Parents came here through Ellis Island. If they were found to be sick, they were quarantined.
I can put any parasite or bacteria infected fish in my reef, and do, and nothing will happen.
That's not magic or due to mud. That is because my fish are eating correctly. They are eating foods with live bacteria and parasites.
When I went to Viet Nam I lived in the jungle for the entire year, I never came out. I took an anti malaria pill every day or I was almost certain to get malaria. The Vietnamese people who were born there didn't have any pills and they rarely got malaria. That is because they were bitten every day by malaria carrying mosquitoes and were immune. As long as they had food to eat and were in good shape, they were fine. If they got severely wounded or something else happened to them, they may have died from malaria just as my fish may die from parasites if the heater broke or a Supermodel dropped her hair Goo into my tank.
All my paired fish are spawning. That means they are as healthy as they can be which is the first step in revving up their immune system. If fish can't or won't spawn (or at least make spawning jestures because they are alone) they are not healthy and their immune system will not make antibodies against parasites. This is not rocket science but we make it difficult. Just look at what fish eat in the sea. Did you ever see a wild fish eating flakes or pellets?
Most people on here are smarter than I am. All I have is more experience which means that I made all the mistakes and killed more fish than Starkist Tuna. In a long lifetime I learned how to get and keep fish healthy and it is extreamly simple. I write about it al the time and even wrote a book because I got tired of posting the same thing.
Everyone says my tank is an enigma. It is only an enigma because I found out that the correct food will make the fish immune. Immune means I can put anything in the tank and any bacteria or parasites will just make my fish stronger. Is that a bad thing?
Here is one article I wrote about immunity. I am sure you saw it.
http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/marine-fish-heal-through-slime-3962/
If I were you, I would start feeding my fish, every day with something live like blackworms. Earthworms work as well. Then I would feed only whole foods such as clams. Not squid, shrimp, fish fillets or scallop as those are only the muscle of the creature. They need the guts and a clam is almost all guts. In the sea fish eat nothing but whole creatures, bones and all. Don't feed any dry foods. In a few weeks your fish should be in breeding condition. Their colors will pop and they will probably bite you when you stick your hand in there. Your paired fish will spawn.
That is the secret to keeping fish healthy. Immunity from parasites is harder especially if you quarantined your fish for a long time. But that can come in time.
Just my opinion of course.
And this:
The proper food "with" it's associated live bacteria. Not a varied diet, but a diet that the fish need. Bacteria is the key. Fish are not like us. We can live and "spawn" no matter what condition we are in. Our immune system will also function if we are near starvation. A fishes system is different and those systems will not work. I didn't make this up, you can Google a fishes immune system. There is so much new information now about the health giving properties in gut bacteria in us, and fish. But the fish needs to be in great condition through whole foods with the guts and bacteria.
My tank had flatworms a couple of years back. It may be on this thread. They didn't do anything to the corals and in a month or two got bored and disappeared. I have also never dipped a coral in insecticide or anything else and never had a problem. Maybe I am lucky or maybe it comes from the mud I add. I really don't know why my tank is not afflicted with those things.
A quarantined system functions because the fish are sterile, their environment is sterile and their guts are sterile. This is like the boy in the bubble. It can work but it is un natural and un healthy. If those fish are subject to almost anything, they will die as they have no immunity. Immunity is not only to protect the fish but the process of being immune also enhances other functions in fish. Fish in the sea are "always" pregnant. That is their normal state. Are your fish pregnant? That is the reason most fish don't spawn in captivity. They are sterile and have no immunity. Most fish are in horrible health. Fish should be pregnant, never get sick and live for their normal lifespan which in some fish is 25 or 30 years. Most gobies and smaller fish should live at least 10 or 12 years. If they are not, why not?
If you lived in a town where virtually everyone died in their teens would you want to live there?
I don't make a lot of friends with my theories. Most people think inside that old box. But gradually the thinking is changing. People are wondering why there are so many disease problems in a hobby that is 45 years old. Just go on the disease thread and be horrified.
That upper pipefish is always pregnant. Always. That is the condition all fish are supposed to be in and it is very simple. He eats live new born brine shrimp every day in a feeder I designed. I can train him to eat cornflakes, apple pie or beef jerky. But I want to see pregnant. immune fish and that is what I am seeing.
The normal shape of a female mandarin.
Spawning clown gobies.
Watchman with eggs.
Spawning Manatees....OK,, Maybe not
