Tank birthday, 47+ years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
The mods were apparently unable to find the other thread without assistance......assistance has been provided, so maybe now we'll see if there's a way to merge these threads or not! :)
Well, it is helpful when the link provided is a link to the OTHER thread. :p

@Paul B, I'm sending you a pm to see if we can get the thread issues straightened out.
 
This is so cool. I am like all tingly inside. Of course that could just be the pain pills I am on for the shoulder surgery I had two days ago and I am delirious with pain because I think the pain pills they gave me are really for irritable bowel because they don't do much for pain. But I don't have any gas. :eek:
Today I removed the 2" thick shoulder bandage and didn't notice any toggle bolts sticking out of my skin so I think maybe he did a good job. I was worried he might use coral frag epoxy being I have so much of it laying around and he expressed a desire to start a reef tank to put his Koi in. :rolleyes:

My reef seems to be doing just fine with no help from me. It is going to be a long time before I do a water change or clean the skimmer because one arm works great buy the other one moves as well as an arrow crab that just shed and I am not allowed to move it for 3 months. :confused:
I also won't be combing my "hair". :)

Eastern Long Island Sound

 

Thank you sir!

After talking with @Paul B, it seemed the best thing to do was to just close the shorter thread and post a link to this thread where the conversation can continue to roll (merging the two might have made following the conversation here a bit confusing since it would have mixed in 500+ posts into the already existing conversation).

I did go through the other thread (all 29 pages) and select some of Paul's pics and reefer wisdom posts and copy them over here when it seemed they wouldn't confuse the conversation and thread progression. Hopefully, that keeps most all of the recent documentation of this great reef here (well...the content that happened in the last several years anyway...after the reef turned 40... :eek::confused:)! :D

Ooooooo....new thread title!

Yep! I figured since the tank is now BEYOND 40 years, that minor edit to the title was merited. :D
 
Pain meds can also serve as a backup if your immunity theory is wrong and all your fish get horribly sick at the same time. [emoji848]
 
They are not allowed to get sick and they know it. I can't remember the last fish I had that got sick. I think it may have been my Moorish Idol 7, 8 or 9 years ago. He got Pop Eye. Probably from reading for too long in dim light. I cured him in 8 seconds with a hypothermic needle. When I give that advice to cure it like that. I get nasty letters saying it is to hard and the fish don't like it. If your eye was sticking out so you could see behind your ears and I said I could cure it in 8 seconds, would you say "Oh no, I would rather you use Epsom salts, antibiotics or wait it out for 6 weeks because I like seeing whats behind me when I am looking forward, even if it is only with one eye?"
I don't give nearly as much advice as I used to because my very old school ways are to far out of date and can never work. :rolleyes:
I don't have to go on disease threads because of dirt, mud, bacteria and parasites. Those are the things that keep me off those silly sick fish threads. But so many people are still stuck inside that box. The box that was built at the same time Al Gore and Brian Williams invented the internet. :p
So many people are making the same mistakes like we did in the 70s which is why the same amount of fish are dying now, as then.
Eventually we will get past sick fish and crashing tanks. We just have to think differently and dismiss the practices that many of us do that have been done for decades and obviously don't work.
I will say it again. Our fish should "never" get sick. Like in Never Land where Michael Jackson lived. :cool:
The fish I have now will probably outlive me. That's a chilling thought. :eek:
(Its the pain meds)

 
I did go through the other thread (all 29 pages) and select some of Paul's pics and reefer wisdom posts and copy them over here when it seemed they wouldn't confuse the conversation and thread progression.
Above and beyond!
 
:D:D:D

I don't know why, but this cracked me up. I'm ready to retire, but haven't yet. I worry about those things, but even worse, still haven't figured out why when I pull my shoe laces apart that 10% of the time it results in a knot. OK, I know why, I just don't pay attention prior to pulling them apart. But, I still worry about that. I need to retire! o_O

I retired 9 years ago and would not give back one minute. If I knew retiring would be so much fun, I would have done it when I was 7. I am so busy now (in between taking pain pills) that there are not enough hours in the day.
I can't believe it when people say they are afraid to retire. It's like, you still wake up at 5:00am but all of the rest of those hours are for you to have fun. You can go boating, go to a museum, sit in your backyard and look at your feet, peruse hardware stores or Home Depot and look for stuff that you want to build, crawl under your car to fix a squeak only you can hear, stir up your fish tank, write a book, host a fund raiser, go to a fund raiser, put on deodorant, shine your shoes, play with your Grand kids, bother your wife, cook a fantastic dinner with stuffed calamari and linguini or paint a picture of a Supermodel.
Then the next day, find all new things to do. :D

Stuffed calamari over linguini



Then of course you can make 100 or so gallons of wine to go with it. :)



Or go crabbing.


This way you can freeze them to go with the turkey at Thanks giving


Sit on a beach in Montauk (Christie Brinkley lives there)


Play Santa Claus at a Children's Cancer hospital.


Or have your Grand Daughter feed your tank. It's all good

There are so many things to do. Have fun

 
Last edited:
I'd try and make it fun too. For now, I gotta work...

I hate that "W" word. I can't believe I wasted all those years doing that. I had to marry a girl that wanted to eat. :eek:
 
Today I went to my favorite LFS because they were getting me some Caribbean gorgonians I wanted and a couple of porcelain crabs. I want a mate for mine. I got the 2 crabs, but they didn't look like porcelain crabs and were in a tank a little high for me to see. So now that I got them in my tank my porcelain crabs are really green crabs so I will never see them again.
They didn't get in my gorgonians either so I just took 3 small frags. I had to stick them on my sand because I can't glue them with one working arm. Normally I break off those silly frag plugs and glue the frag to a rock or bottle. I hate the way those frag plugs look as they kill the natural look of a tank.
I was supposed to get a couple of these to mate with mine.


As I was looking at the tank I saw one of these pop out of a frogspawn and I couldn't figure out where I got him. Then I remembered I bought him last week. It's great getting old.

 
Today I went to my favorite LFS because they were getting me some Caribbean gorgonians I wanted and a couple of porcelain crabs. I want a mate for mine. I got the 2 crabs, but they didn't look like porcelain crabs and were in a tank a little high for me to see. So now that I got them in my tank my porcelain crabs are really green crabs so I will never see them again.
They didn't get in my gorgonians either so I just took 3 small frags. I had to stick them on my sand because I can't glue them with one working arm. Normally I break off those silly frag plugs and glue the frag to a rock or bottle. I hate the way those frag plugs look as they kill the natural look of a tank.
I was supposed to get a couple of these to mate with mine.


As I was looking at the tank I saw one of these pop out of a frogspawn and I couldn't figure out where I got him. Then I remembered I bought him last week. It's great getting old.


What is that goby called? He's awesome. Love the Santa suit
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new