I was in the process of designing and building a really cool Steam Punk light and I took a break so I went looking through the disease section and it is amazing so many people have so many problems with disease, it boggles my mind and my mind is easily boggled. Ich, black ich, white ich, internal worms (that is a big one this month) infections, flukes, flounders, plague, diphtheria, swim bladder disease and the list goes on.
I am very "lucky" that my fish never get any of that stuff. They are just not allowed to.
Then I see all of this medication being dispensed like this was Obamacare. I rarely ever heard of these medications and the combinations of them being used is frightful. Most of the time the fish dies.
Maybe it's me, but I don't think our fish should ever get sick. Mine don't and neither should anyone else's. I think it's just that most tanks are not natural. Quarantining and then feeding sterile, dry foods, then medication equals a fish with no immune system and a fish that will be susceptible to everything including the common cold, knock knees and the heartbreak of psoriasis.
I am having trouble getting live worms this month because of the drought in California. There is no water so the worms must be very thirsty, thirsty worms are never happy worms and it leads to social diseases. :eek:
Sterile tanks where every bit of detritus and algae is removed is also in my opinion, not healthy. Tweeking is another thing that to me is silly. Seawater is very stable as long as we don't tweek it. Changing water every five minutes is also IMO not healthy.
I am getting old and crotchety and soon will be gone. That will be great for all the hobbiests that like quarantining, tweeking and ball room dancing. Then who will be here to argue with Humblefish?
You guys will have to stock up on Prizapro (something I never used) amquil, quinicrine hydro whatever. Metheline blue (that's a 60 year old medication that doesn't do anything to the fish but makes your hands a nice shade of blue for a week or two)
Anyway, good luck to anyone with a sick fish. I hope they get better :rolleyes: