Tank birthday, 47+ years

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting my first salt water tank at age 69. In a 2015 post with Humble Fish, you referred to a book you were writing. Did you publish it? If so, where might I purchase a copy? Hope your recovery from surgery is progressing well. Wishing you the best.
You can search through this post and find it. Paul is probably walking the beach in search of super models at the moment. I believe all proceeds still go to MS research.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there "youngster" :) My book is under all my posts including this one but it is not seen on a phone.

It's here on Amazon and a little more than 100% of the profits go to Multiple Sclerosis research in my wife's name so thank you for asking about it.

Good luck with your new tank. :)

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there "youngster" :) My book is under all my posts including this one but it is not seen on a phone.

It's here on Amazon and a little more than 100% of the profits go to Multiple Sclerosis research in my wife's name so thank you for asking about it.

Good luck with your new tank. :)

great informative read.
thanks for the donation.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my shoulder surgeon this morning and will get surgery in about 2 weeks. I already tore this rotator cuff 3 times so he said it won't be easy, if even possible to repair it again. It is completely torn off the bone and there is no real estate left to re attach it as it is already all full of plastic.

He is going to try to screw a patch to the bone with a metal screw after he removes all the old plastic ones and add a patch which he will try to sew the rotator cuff to it.

Due to my history of commercial construction as an electrician (and my break dancing) I totally wore out everything in there and it is all shredded.

But he is a Veteran which is why I chose him so I have the utmost confidence in him. If he can't fix it, I won't Know for a few months, then he will have to replace the shoulder.

Maybe I can get one of Schwarzenegger's old shoulders. :)

This will be my 30th surgery. I am not sure if you get a prize or free trip after 30 but I will ask. :cool:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my shoulder surgeon this morning and will get surgery in about 2 weeks. I already tore this rotator cuff 3 times so he said it won't be easy, if even possible to repair it again. It is completely torn off the bone and there is no real estate left to re attach it as it is already all full of plastic.

He is going to try to screw a patch to the bone with a metal screw after he removes all the old plastic ones and add a patch which he will try to sew the rotator cuff to it.

Due to my history of commercial construction as an electrician (and my break dancing) I totally wore out everything in there and it is all shredded.

But he is a Veteran which is why I chose him so I have the utmost confidence in him. If he can't fix it, I won't Know for a few months, then he will have to replace the shoulder.

This will be my 30th surgery. I am not sure if you get a prize or free trip after 30 but I will ask. :cool:
Best wishes on a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You get a virtual pat on the back from me sir. I understand where you are coming from, as I have had many as well.

Hope all goes well for ya.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I can collect water before my surgery so my fish will just have to cope 6 months or so without new water but I rarely change water anyway so they won't even know. :oops:

My tank is doing good like it is supposed to. No problems but I didn't expect any. I did add some fish in the last few months including a couple of dragon faced pipes and some green clown gobies, all doing well. I also replaced a female ruby red dragonette who was egg bound and exploded before I could catch her for a cesarean section. (I checked her insurance and she was covered)

Corals, gorgonians and everything else all smiling and doing the macarana. I wish I had something to write about but I would have to make it up.

OK make believe my copperband spawned with my Janss pipefish and the babies look soup spoons with fins. :rolleyes:

This picture is a couple of months old so that green thing on the bottom is almost twice that size

FTS Nov 10.JPG

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found a pretty big crab shell in my tank. It looks like one of the New York local crabs which I may have added with NSW and he grew to about an inch. Very cool and free livestock. :D

Yesterday I installed a linear actuator to my tank t lift the front door so I can access the tank so after my shoulder surgery, I can feed the tank. :p

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found a pretty big crab shell in my tank. It looks like one of the New York local crabs which I may have added with NSW and he grew to about an inch. Very cool and free livestock. :D

Yesterday I installed a linear actuator to my tank t lift the front door so I can access the tank so after my shoulder surgery, I can feed the tank. :p
you should make a robot exoskeleton and then continuously upgrade it then your fish get ich and become a villan because you rob fish stores to find the cure with your robot exoskeleton that has taken over you and is making you evil, would be a good plot for a superhero movie

sumtingbig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in 1980. So we both have seen how much the hobby has changed and how much more complicated or high tech it has become. I opened my own salt water store in 2007 Aquadrome and drove 9 hours out towards the end of Long Island to a fish store. He just bought a lot of new tanks and i bought over 3000 gallons of his used tanks for my store. All drilled and .50 cents a gallon. Congrads on your commitment

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumtingbig, good morning. I live near the end of Long Island on the north fork. Winery country. :)

I also collect water behind my house. Nice to meet you. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, they just call them green gobies but I am sure they have a more hard to pronounce Latin name. Maybe something like Hippocrates. Hirratus, or Hercules, which I think may be Roman. :rolleyes:

Green Gobi.JPG

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, they just call them green gobies but I am sure they have a more hard to pronounce Latin name. Maybe something like Hippocrates. Hirratus, or Hercules, which I think may be Roman. :rolleyes:

Green Gobi.JPG
What lfs ?

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also replaced a female ruby red dragonette who was egg bound and exploded before I could catch her for a cesarean section. (I checked her insurance and she was covered)

Have you ever managed to treat any egg bound fish?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever managed to treat any egg bound fish?
No because I can't catch anything in my tank, but I would if I could catch them as it is very common.

TheMeat, do you live in New York on Long Island? There are two places here that have them for ten bucks. Both of them are on Rt. 112. I forget the manes but I will find them if you need them.

One of the stores has about 25 of them as I was just there. I think it's Aquarium Village.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No because I can't catch anything in my tank, but I would if I could catch them as it is very common.

TheMeat, do you live in New York on Long Island? There are two places here that have them for ten bucks. Both of them are on Rt. 112. I forget the manes but I will find them if you need them.

One of the stores has about 25 of them as I was just there. I think it's Aquarium Village.
Yes live on Long Island. Pretty close to pet barn on Franklin Ave, or whatever it’s called now. We met there a few times. What a mess that place is. Speaking of mess… Aquarium village, by Roosevelt field mall has changed. Heard Rocco, who used to run aquarium village when they were down the block went to tropical showcase. If he made it run as aquarium village used to…Haven’t been out there, further East, in a while. Sure, share those stores on rt 112. Always looking for new to me spots. Marine aquatics in Albertson has been my fav for a while

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I forgot. Manny the owner of Pet Barn is a friend of mine.

One is Aqua Hut in Coram about exit 62. The place is filthy and don't go anywhere near the bathroom. But I don't have to live there. Cheapest prices you will find by far. Much cheaper than Manny but don't tell him.

He imports his own fish and has been there for 50 years. Good selection of fish but not so much with coral.

He has no phone so you can't call.....No, really!

The other place is also on Rt 112 and all the way south from there. I forget the name but it is about 8 blocks from the south end of 112 on the east side of the street. But it is a pet shop. There is a huge black sign outside that just says "PETS"

They have a duck and Wallaby walking around. Birds, turtles, lizzards etc and a big fish selection with much higher prices from the other place. But big selection of fish and corals. They just replaced all their tanks a couple of weeks ago and not done yet.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back