Tank Bred Clownfish Quality Decline

  • Thread starter Thread starter Onyxia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
If we take water quality and fry running into the sides of the tank out of the equation is micro algae fed rotifers good enough to start the clownfish off on and then brine shrimp until they eat pellets? Are they missing certain minerals, vitamins, etc. in the beginning that is causing deformities? Something missing from the parents diet? Anyone looked into this in detail?
I don't want to assume, but i think its a partial reason. I can totally see hatcheries skipping brine and doing commercial feeds like TDO for efficiency. I think alot of its husbandry nutrition more so than genetics.
 
Just purchase 8 percula clowns , I think they look good .
Also genetic mutation can be sought after that is why you may see more , don’t get me started on ball pythons , glo fish , goldfish, ect.

I think it’s overall good for the hobby and brings more exposure

IMG_2145.jpeg
 
Just purchase 8 percula clowns , I think they look good .
Also genetic mutation can be sought after that is why you may see more , don’t get me started on ball pythons , glo fish , goldfish, ect.

I think it’s overall good for the hobby and brings more exposure

IMG_2145.jpeg
you might have gotten some false perculas ;) (ocellaris*)
 
Possibly how could I tell? I love them either way lol
The eyes, the coloration, the white banding has thin black vs percula typically have darker (unless they're young Picasso offspring)

IMO Ocellaris look more cartoonish, where percula look like the same clown in HD 🤣
 
Last edited:
I can't even use the word "cull" in other forums because I risk being called cruel or inhumane. Once I have a free cubicle I plan to get a frogfish. Don't ask me what I'm going to feed it.
One really need a predator tank when raise clownfish. Don’t try to recover the maximum number of fish, rather go for the optimal number of fry that can be reasonably take care off. Most of the defects, if one choose the brood stock correctly, should be from environment rather than genetics
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new