Tank Bred Fish Less Interested in LRS and Rod’s food?

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Recently made the switch to LRS reef frenzy and Rod’s food instead of San Francisco Bay brands that I was using from PETCO.

Noticed that all my fish are not nearly as interested in the chunks of real fish or full shrimp like they were in the garbage Marine Cuisine and Emerald Entree I was feeding. They’re all tank bred species who have never seen the ocean. They surprisingly especially love flakes and pellets the most.
I have a couple clownfish and a royal gramma. I was suspicious the fish were not getting the nutrients they need feeding a diet of mainly Marine Cuisine which I horrifyingly noticed is mainly Brine shrimp.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it perhaps something they just have to get used to? They will eat a few smaller tiny bits but the larger pieces of fish and full shrimp they almost look irritated by when they eat it and spit it out and then start ignoring the rest of the food. I’ve heard nothing but good things and amazing feeding responses from these foods so I am a bit let down by the fact that my fish seem completely uninterested in it and would rather eat flakes lol.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clowns and RG and also tank bred, they both eat reef frenzy. It's very rare that I feed pellets now.

No experience with rod's.

OP
OP
george9

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clowns and RG and also tank bred, they both eat reef frenzy. It's very rare that I feed pellets now.

No experience with rod's.
Was there an adjustment period when you started feeding it? Or did they instantly love it

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are probably not use to it. I would give it a while.

I feed LRS nano, and still take a razor blade to it to make the pieces smaller.

OP
OP
george9

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there are definitely some large chunks in there but this is the Reef Frenzy nano version so they should be a bit smaller. Tomorrow I will try mashing it up a bit more for them and reducing the flow.

I don’t typically reduce the flow for them because they usually just chase the food around but maybe it will help them get used to this new food.

Thanks for the comments everyone

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back