Tank build

Qtfrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for some advice or wisdom on plumbing this tank. It’s all dry fitted so looking for anything I should change or add.

image.jpg

KorlL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok from here. One piece of advice from my experience is to wrap some painters tape around the pvc pipe so you have a marker of where to stop once you apply the pvc glue. The pvc glue will lubricate the pvc and fittings, and will usually allow the pvc to slide slightly farther into the fittings. Just so it doesn’t mess up you’re original measurements. Also the tape will catch any excess glue for a cleaner look. Just remove the tape before the glue starts to set in

OP
OP
Qtfrags

Qtfrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok from here. One piece of advice from my experience is to wrap some painters tape around the pvc pipe so you have a marker of where to stop once you apply the pvc glue. The pvc glue will lubricate the pvc and fittings, and will usually allow the pvc to slide slightly farther into the fittings. Just so it doesn’t mess up you’re original measurements. Also the tape will catch any excess glue for a cleaner look. Just remove the tape before the glue starts to set in
Also should I glue the pvc where it goes to the bulkheads on sump? Maybe a union should go over there as well to remove sump easily ?

KorlL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t glue the pvc that connects to the sump. But you can if you want. It’s not pressurized, so as long as that fitting is connected well it’s shouldn’t leak and the drain water will fall straight into the sump. You might get some salt creep if you don’t glue it though

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drain pipe without the blue pvc needs a gate or union ball valve to adjust.

I am assuming thats a fijicube overflow. It's supposed to be setup Herbie style. You can google it for more information.

KorlL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with the names of the overflow designs. But it looks like the blue drain is an emergency drain line. I don’t think it requires a control valve.
As for the other drain, you might want to raise it a tiny bit so you don’t get so much splashing noise and add an air vent for the pipe as well. Forgot what it’s called though

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to post an update on what I’ve improved since. Ya like my watermelon theme lol?

image.jpg

Good you make it yours.

I would make sure you have a small hole in the return line near the water surface to break the syphon in a power failure. I’ve read of others having flood their sumps when power goes out & the check valve fails. Something to consider.

And you will value the Herbie design. It’s outstanding. If it’s your first time using, it can take 24-48 hours to find the sweet spot for the primary syphon drain. Once you do, you’ll never have to adjust the gate.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back