Tank cloudy after adding live sand

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some more sand to my tank that has been running for 6 months. This has caused a lot of cloudiness.. will this be detrimental to the fish and what are the best ways to solve this?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added some more sand to my tank that has been running for 6 months. This has caused a lot of cloudiness.. will this be detrimental to the fish and what are the best ways to solve this?
No they will be fine and it will clear up!

OP
OP
R

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time+patience. The cloudiness would've been taken care of if the sand was rinsed before adding it to the aquarium. Live sand in an already established tank is kinda redundant
Yeah I accidently ordered live sand by mistake unfortunately.. I was ready to thoroughly rinse the sand but I saw multiple threads and videos telling me you don't have to with live sand! thank you for the reply

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time+patience. The cloudiness would've been taken care of if the sand was rinsed before adding it to the aquarium. Live sand in an already established tank is kinda redundant
I’ve added more sand many times because I wanted a deeper bed just for the overall looks of my tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post a tank pic Reef Frank it’s really helpful to be able to study your clearance time in our silt study threads.

we want to be able to track by pics the unrinsed clearance time in live systems, the bag itself says no rinse needed agreed you followed directions as the label says.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not anti-adding sand, just pro-rinsing sand haha
Oh agreed! It’s a pain and you don’t ever get it fully “clean” but it sure does reduce the cloudy time!

OP
OP
R

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post a tank pic Reef Frank it’s really helpful to be able to study your clearance time in our silt study threads.

we want to be able to track by pics the unrinsed clearance time in live systems, the bag itself says no rinse needed agreed you followed directions as the label says.
20211116_152516.jpg
Of course! Is it best to have pumps / powerheads on or off for this? Pic taken roughly 30 minutes after adding sand.
Can provide progress pics every so often!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211116_152516.jpg
Of course! Is it best to have pumps / powerheads on or off for this? Pic taken roughly 30 minutes after adding sand.
Ah, I see you're going for either the "snowstorm in Siberia" or "sandstorm in the Sahara" theme. ;)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frank it’s very helpful to track. You can’t believe the passion that exists between pre rinsing bagged sand or not, I’m talking twenty page thread arguments on the matter. you are required to endure that above by 80% of the posters on this site, only 20% would permit the pre rinse.

Yes, it’s a bait for someone to start a test poll :)

ReefFrank you help reef science by posting those pics. I agree it’s chalk dust essentially, physical irritant not chemical. Run some carbon if possible

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20211116_152516.jpg
Mine has been worse before! I leave powerheads and pumps on as long as they’re not pointed at the sand and causing the storm! :p

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to forward a shock and awe concept to a reader out there in the meta

someone who may run a reef company

imagine if you sold sand in a bag that didn’t need pre rinsing. You’d put me out of social business.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to do it all over again I'd rinse my sand (wiping the entire tank and sump from all the dust/residue was worth it for the experience, if only to say "not doing that again"). If I were adding more sand (which I may need to do at some point), I'm definitely rinsing. Like a week's worth of rinsing...

OP
OP
R

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frank it’s very helpful to track. You can’t believe the passion that exists between pre rinsing bagged sand or not, I’m talking twenty page thread arguments on the matter. you are required to endure that above by 80% of the posters on this site, only 20% would permit the pre rinse.

Yes, it’s a bait for someone to start a test poll :)

ReefFrank you help reef science by posting those pics. I agree it’s chalk dust essentially, physical irritant not chemical. Run some carbon if possible
Give me a couple more years reefing experience and a couple of drinks and I'll be right in those arguments threads I'm sure!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I too have had it at the point which it looked like I poured milk in the tank and happened to be sand addition and it cleared within 48 hours. I used an hang on power filter to entrap the fine particles as well as filter socks at the returns in the sump which also entrapped all the fine micron particles.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back