Tank cloudy after adding live sand

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever seen the film "the mist"? That was my inspiration for this masterpiece
As long as we're talking the film and not the horrible Tv series on Netflix. All you need are a good half dozen starfish to complete the effect. ;)

OP
OP
R

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the super quick informative replies.. I'm new to this hobby and god is it more challenging than any animals I've worked with before Will be the most rewarding once everything is sorted too!

OP
OP
R

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey is it any clearer
Hi! I kept taking photos but as the tank lights went off they weren't coming out great.. however woke up this morning to a basically clear tank!

There was effectively no change happening between 3pm (first post) and 9pm.. so things cleared quickly overnight

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal. A couple days to clear then thats about average

so the next time someone posts a pre rinse yes or no bagged sand thread, the simple truth is pre rinse if you don’t want to be clouded for two days. Pre rinsing to be instantly cloudless means we chose to not be clouded for two days, very simple and your thread helps others make an easy choice. The tank isn’t harmed either way, we simply select cloud vs cloudless.

in twenty years online I’ve never once seen a poster who pre rinsed say: hey, I hate my laser clear tank. :)
the frustration, fear and worry only come from skipping pre rinse. Good thing it’s only 48 hours worth.

OP
OP
R

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal. A couple days to clear then thats about average

so the next time someone posts a pre rinse yes or no bagged sand thread, the simple truth is pre rinse if you don’t want to be clouded for two days. Pre rinsing to be instantly cloudless means we chose to not be clouded for two days, very simple and your thread helps others make an easy choice. The tank isn’t harmed either way, we simply select cloud vs cloudless.

in twenty years online I’ve never once seen a poster who pre rinsed say: hey, I hate my laser clear tank. :)
the frustration, fear and worry only come from skipping pre rinse. Good thing it’s only 48 hours worth.
Yep.. Will definitely rinse a couple of times before adding the next lot.. Still have most of the bag to add

Lesson learned - if the bad says do not rinse, don't listen to it

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know where the fear of pre rinsing comes from

solely one angle and no other

the loss of precious, precious, unexpendable bacteria we are all trained with hyper focus to never lose one cell lol

these reefs all have orders too much bacteria anyway, your reef didn’t need the new sands bacteria not one iota. But that doesn’t matter to non rinsers, because if you did rinse

THE BACTERIA DIED

:)

OP
OP
R

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know where the fear of pre rinsing comes from

solely one angle and no other

the loss of precious, precious, unexpendable bacteria we are all trained with hyper focus to never lose one cell lol

these reefs all have orders too much bacteria anyway, your reef didn’t need the new sands bacteria not one iota. But that doesn’t matter to non rinsers, because if you did rinse

THE BACTERIA DIED

:)
All clear now! (Featuring a stubborn cyano bloom)

Attachments

• 20211117_183656.jpg
    20211117_183656.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 33

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are quite sensitive fish too, top level delicate. That they are ok really helps track irritation/ seems to be none that a very nice reef

I just advised a new buyer of bagged sand to pre rinse it. There’s a six percent chance any peer will allow it, it’s not an option we are allowed to consider I find it amazing group psychology.

10 days, still won't settle and clouds fully
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cloudy-tank.576835/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bummer-could-use-some-help.558301/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/very-cloudy-water-after-sand-and-rock.559386/#post-5735864
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/question-about-vacuuming-sand-bed.616059/ https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-tank-milky-cloudy.616519/

check out how some don’t clear that fast

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 47 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back