Tank Covering: What, How, When and Why?

Tank coverings to prevent fish jumping..

• I keep my tank covered 24/7

Votes: 525 65.1%
  • I keep my tank covered most of the time

Votes: 48 5.9%
  • I keep my tank covered at times

Votes: 15 1.9%
  • I don't keep my tank covered at all

Votes: 166 20.6%
  • I have a covering but don't use it

Votes: 35 4.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 18 2.2%

• Total voters

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely keep my display tank covered! I've got wrasses and they have jumped INTO the top on several occasions.

My lagoon, on the other hand, is not covered. Thankfully the fish in there have not decided to jump. I'll probably cover it when I upgrade it to a larger size. :0) Right now it's got a humu trigger, yellowtail damsel, and 2 clowns. None are known for jumping but they can all do it!

Starkrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just assembled a Red Sea DIY cover kit for my tank. Got the frame all done, just need to add the netting now.
I'm going without the netting for a few days to make sure I'm happy with the current config before cutting and adding the netting.
I just ordered one. I’d like to know how you feel the netting installation goes please.

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a lid but the only things that have ever jumped out of my tank are the stupid hermits... strong enough to climb the silicone and hop straight on the floor. They don’t dry up like fish tho unless they’re left for days so I do a morning and night sweep for any jumpers :) only other fish are a pair of perculas and a cherub angel so no worries. I have a geometric hawk in a different tank but he’s a recluse so I’m not worried about him either

sreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a screen top just like this! I have many fairy wrasses!!! Must have a cover
1594927584783.png

Eaglepenguinz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about covering our aquariums to keep our fishy friends from becoming fish jerky on the floor!

If you've ever lost fish to jumping then you know how disheartening and frustrating it can be. Sometimes even with a covered tank you'll have a fishy escape artist to find a way out and down on to the floor! So....let's discuss it!

1. Is your tank covered? If not please tell us your reasoning.

2. How do you have your tank covered and are you happy with the solution you're using?

3. What do you dislike about having to keep your tank covered?

1594908193722.png
I don’t have a cover for my 37 gallon, or else I’d use it.. it’s hard to make my own, though I’ve tried with acrylic, because my lights aren’t hanging from the ceiling yet and I have a hang on back since I can’t figure out how to make a sump

charlesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank stays covered all the time with glass tops because I have a 35 yr old male and a 65 yr old female living in the same house who show zero respect for anything or anyone other than themselves. The female has poisoned the new puppy and constantly puts carpet fresh down right against the aquarium.

I have made her pay for the invertebrates she's killed and the vet bill for the puppy. But, she still does it and doesn't care. Never apologized for any of it.

She's even admitted that she thinks I am lying about keeping powders and sprays away from the tank.:eek::mad:
How can someone hurt a puppy. Sounds like you’re living with degenerates. Both should be put down.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My currently active system is a bowfront so cover means the factory glass lid. And I hate it. I hate it a lot! Condensation, salt creep, traps heat, heavy weight, terrible access, difficult to adjust for equipment. Many custom lid makers won't do a bowfront, or if they do its $$$. So I put up with my glass lid for the sake of my fish. Oh, and escaping nerites. Still had one escape around the cut out for the skimmer and it survived after being on the floor for several days. I'd still prefer to keep them in the tank.

My new tank has the factory IM mesh lid. While I wish it had a feed door of some sort, I like this lid so much more! No condensation, tank temperature is so much easier to regulate, it's super light when I need to remove it (wonder if nerites will be able to lift it???). And fortunately no need to adjust for equipment since the tank is an AIO and all the mess is in the back. The lid is very low profile, sitting down inside the top edge of the glass so I hardly notice it. Thumbs up.

Although I am happy with my mesh lid, I still might go custom for this tank someday just for the sake of things like a feed door and possible spot for an auto feeder. But right now I'm happy enough to not be in a rush.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the top my Labrador had me covered

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a glass lid on my my 120 (center brace) for 2 years. I just made the switch to a DD Jumpguard for each side. The first side was a little more challenging for me to put together than I would like to admit, but by the time I got to the second side, it was a "breeze." I used their cut outs to work around the radion mounts so the tops are easy to take off for feeding, maintenance, etc. I did not mind the glass top and my temp was constant between 77-79. But I wanted to see how the screen top looked.

newave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my tank covered with acrylic most of the time to slow down evap, but not to prevent fish from jumping out since I currently am only keeping inverts.

wheels 45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon coralife biocube that is an AIO. It helps keep ditritus from getting in the tank, as well as keep the temperature consistent.

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other - depends on the fish I have in the tank

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No cover.

I once covered it because I had gotten a Diamond Goby, in which, they are well known to jump . So I kept the tank covered. It still didn't stopped him from jumping, he found a little opening and ended his living with depression. It was just a pain in the ***, so I don't get fish that are known to jump and all of my current fish have instinct to drive down, not up when frighten. Even the mystery wrasse dives down.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bunch of tanks and and they all have covers - most look like the one in the initial post of this thread. I'm not necessarily a fan of covers, it's just that I like my fish and want to keep them in the tank. I've lost too many fish that jump because there was no lid or the lid wasn't in place.

RUKelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about covering our aquariums to keep our fishy friends from becoming fish jerky on the floor!

If you've ever lost fish to jumping then you know how disheartening and frustrating it can be. Sometimes even with a covered tank you'll have a fishy escape artist to find a way out and down on to the floor! So....let's discuss it!

1. Is your tank covered? If not please tell us your reasoning.

2. How do you have your tank covered and are you happy with the solution you're using?

3. What do you dislike about having to keep your tank covered?

1594908193722.png
Yes, I keep my tank covered because I was tired of losing expensive fish to jumps and rarely was I in the area to scoop up my victim to place back in my tank. My cover is made by Red Sea (I have one of their Max systems), pretty expensive considering it’s a ”U Build It” project and fortunately I have a very handy son-in-law who kindly took on this endeavor. Because of the materials it is made of, thin plastic strips and a type of screening, it does sag in a certain corner and it’s awkward when it is tank maintenance time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back