Tank Covering: What, How, When and Why?

Tank coverings to prevent fish jumping..

• I keep my tank covered 24/7

Votes: 525 65.1%
  • I keep my tank covered most of the time

Votes: 48 5.9%
  • I keep my tank covered at times

Votes: 15 1.9%
  • I don't keep my tank covered at all

Votes: 166 20.6%
  • I have a covering but don't use it

Votes: 35 4.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 18 2.2%

• Total voters

Johnnynle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No cover. Just one of those things I haven’t gotten to yet. Luckily I have no jumpers in the tank. Well, they haven’t jumped yet (knock on wood). It’s been a couple years now though. I will be getting a few more fish that are known jumpers, so a cover is a definite soon.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didnt have my tank covered til about 3 months ago my angelfish decided she wanted to jump out of the tank chasing flake food from the surface luckily i was sitting right there then a week later she did it again so i made some mesh tops lol

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my tank covered with a combo of a canopy and nylon screen. I cover my system because I like to keep a tank full of known jumpers (wrasse and dartfish).

Even then I recently had a salon wrasse that somehow wriggled through and ended up on the floor :(

I personally would use glass tops to cover the system if possible, but it quickly gets dirty and blocks the lighting for corals.
My fear with glass covers was my wonderful carpet surfing wrasse who has a death wish, my fear was he was going to kill himself hitting the glass top. As he would come up hard. So I switched to nylon.

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didnt have my tank covered til about 3 months ago my angelfish decided she wanted to jump out of the tank chasing flake food from the surface luckily i was sitting right there then a week later she did it again so i made some mesh tops lol
I am with you. To me for how cheap the mesh is, it is a no brainer. I lost two two the floor, with a lid, the one got out of a little tiny area.

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine covered 24/7 with glass lids for two reasons:
1. Evaporation control. I live in an extremely hot and dry area. With the tank uncovered, I'd lose a little over 5 gallons per week to evaporation. With it covered, I lose ~ 2 gallons per week due to evaporation.
2. Excitable fish. I have fish that get very excitable during feeding. I lost one once that jumped out even with a lid. He jumped out when I wasn't home and by the time I found him he was long gone.

I like the look of it uncovered, and enjoy being able to look straight down into the water; but it is just not as practical for me.

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i don't do a cover. Me and my fish have an understanding....if they jump out...they WILL infact die because it will be weeks before they get discovered. We have a small huddle at the inception of being introduced to the tank. Sort of like prayer service. And then we leave it at that. So far I haven't had any suicidal fish....but i know they are out there.

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rimless JBJ with no canopy at all. But I would like to know how to build one that would fit my curved corners. Any ideas? Thanks!

coral408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now cover the tank 24/7 with HD window frames and net after a male and female anthias jumped out of tank during feeding, one over the floor and the other into the overflow!
Luckily, they are both rescued!

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am learning, which is a danger to livestock. I had glass covers that work really well. my return and overflow go out the back wall. the only cut outs are the corners outside the tank inner dimensions that allow the required wires to exit without leaving the covers elevated. I am exploring 'no cover' for oxygen exchange and full light transfer. i am doing it now before i get any known frequent jumpers. soon i will replace the covers and add said problem children. at that time it will be 100%
covered 24/7

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you experience lower ph and higher temps with this setup?
I have a hinged glass cover and I do not have elevated temps or low PH. I have a spray bar return breaking the surface and my wave pumps are slightly angled up to creates more surface turbulence.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has a hinged glass lid that is only open for feeding and maintenance.

I am mostly happy with this solution as I have not had any jumpers, I have turbulent water surface that seems to help as I do not have reduced PH. The only downside is keeping it clean. My nitrite snails keep the growth off of it but the outside accumulates salt creep and there is some cloudiness I clean probably 2x a week. I guess a plus is the dog fur I find on the lid is not in my tank.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fear with glass covers was my wonderful carpet surfing wrasse who has a death wish, my fear was he was going to kill himself hitting the glass top. As he would come up hard. So I switched to nylon.
Definitely a reason for a “soft net” over your tank

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had tanks uncovered and covered. Believe me having an uncovered tank is bad news when you have critters. I've had glass covers, not my favorite cause of maintenance and casting shadows. Screens are ok but they still cast shadows. Best I ever had was an open top 12 inch tall hood that my light fit on top. The light covered most if the top. No shadows and no escapees.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Is your tank covered? If not please tell us your reasoning.

Frag tank is not covered and so far I have not had one jump. All tanks with fish are covered 24/7.

2. How do you have your tank covered and are you happy with the solution you're using?

DiY screens with 1/4" black netting that I bought in bulk years ago.

3. What do you dislike about having to keep your tank covered?

Nothing.
Might want to be careful if your frags ever do decide to jump....

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old picture. Canopy all the way for the win! :):D;Joyful;Shamefullyembarrased;Smuggrin;Woot;Hilarious

FB_IMG_1581748914274.jpg

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the Red Sea DIY kit on my P650. Despite a lot of bad reviews on this kit. I actually think it came out quite well. Not as flimsy as has been reported.

Attachments

• 20200630_170357.mp4
    80.8 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back