Tank crash, started over with 20g high

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so yesterday I got some good advice on here regarding clown fish kept dying and seemingly suffocating within a day of getting them. I restarted my rank. I got my hands on some RO water from my LFS instead of tap. I did a 95% water change and wiped down the entire tank, turned over the sand, cleaned the filter, power heads, etc. I switched from Instant Ocean Reef Cyrstals to Red Sea. I also bought a piece of cycled live rock from that LFS and put it in my tank with my old rock. It's small but it's something. I turned one of my power heads to face the surface of the water to add more surface agitation. Added Bio Spira and the salt is mixing. Tank is empty. I have Dr. Tim's One and only coming tomorrow. My question is, to speed up the cycle, can I add the Dr. Tim's tomorrow or would be pointless? My LFS said don't and leave it on the shelf until I really need it since it's a bit pricey. She also said with the biospira, cycled rock and live sand, despite the crash and huge water change, the tank should be ready for a hardy fish in about 2 weeks. I really don't want another crash. Thoughts?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so yesterday I got some good advice on here regarding clown fish kept dying and seemingly suffocating within a day of getting them. I restarted my rank. I got my hands on some RO water from my LFS instead of tap. I did a 95% water change and wiped down the entire tank, turned over the sand, cleaned the filter, power heads, etc. I switched from Instant Ocean Reef Cyrstals to Red Sea. I also bought a piece of cycled live rock from that LFS and put it in my tank with my old rock. It's small but it's something. I turned one of my power heads to face the surface of the water to add more surface agitation. Added Bio Spira and the salt is mixing. Tank is empty. I have Dr. Tim's One and only coming tomorrow. My question is, to speed up the cycle, can I add the Dr. Tim's tomorrow or would be pointless? My LFS said don't and leave it on the shelf until I really need it since it's a bit pricey. She also said with the biospira, cycled rock and live sand, despite the crash and huge water change, the tank should be ready for a hardy fish in about 2 weeks. I really don't want another crash. Thoughts?
just use the tims IMO. Wait for full cycle and dont use tap water!

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just use the tims IMO. Wait for full cycle and dont use tap water!
I was thinking the same thing since I won't do any harm to use it.

Yes! I found out my LFS has that 1$/gallon thingy so I bought some containers and filled them up and drove home. I figured for a weekly change of 5 gallons will only cost me $5 a week. A small price to pay to keep my fish happy.

Any other advice? Skimmer or no? I've gotten mixed reviews on skimmers for my nano tank so it is and is not necessary depending on who I talk to

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have 2 nano tanks one 13 gal and the other 20 gal and neither with a skimmer. For such small amount of water I think it does very little compared to good husbandry.
Only running uv and chemi pure blue with some purigen and tanks are always crisp clean.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have 2 nano tanks one 13 gal and the other 20 gal and neither with a skimmer. For such small amount of water I think it does very little compared to good husbandry.
Only running uv and chemi pure blue with some purigen and tanks are always crisp clean.
Ok good to know. Thanks!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing since I won't do any harm to use it.

Yes! I found out my LFS has that 1$/gallon thingy so I bought some containers and filled them up and drove home. I figured for a weekly change of 5 gallons will only cost me $5 a week. A small price to pay to keep my fish happy.

Any other advice? Skimmer or no? I've gotten mixed reviews on skimmers for my nano tank so it is and is not necessary depending on who I talk to
nah, no space and not many good skimmers

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a Seachem Tidal 35 on my 14 cube filled with Chemi Pure Blue and poly-fil and have had no issues. When I started my tank I dumped my bottle of Turbostart in, then next day added Clownfish and I had zero issues. Weekly small water changes and feeding reasonably have been a huge help.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend nabbing a Brute can to store some fresh RO in case of emergency. That way, if you have to do several large water changes in succession, you can start right away instead of waiting for the store to open/possible bad weather etc.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%

Back