Tank crash :(

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Sorry for the crash and good luck with the refresh.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

OP
OP
K

Korkuc36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am glad you're not giving up. sometimes going to cheaper route ends up costing more... hopefully you learned from this experience and can apply it to your future success.

also, welcome!
Tell me about. 30 bucks cost me about 500... It's okay to make mistakes but only if you learn them. I definitely learned here. Starting 3 days ago, nothing but aqueon silicone and a week+ cure time as long as I'm in the hobby

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer,,, sucks,,, sorry...
I'm newish so always kinda wonder if tank crash is just inevitable eventually due to all the variables/factors but hope not.

Not the same but I kinda panicked a few months ago over outgassing from unsafe, super clear, silicone I used to bond panels of acrylic together for a nice lid I made -- probably would've been fine but I pulled it off after a couple of days of over-thinking it.

OP
OP
K

Korkuc36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer,,, sucks,,, sorry...
I'm newish so always kinda wonder if tank crash is just inevitable eventually due to all the variables/factors but hope not.

Not the same but I kinda panicked a few months ago over outgassing from unsafe, super clear, silicone I used to bond panels of acrylic together for a nice lid I made -- probably would've been fine but I pulled it off after a couple of days of over-thinking it.
Correct me if I'm wrong here... Most crashes are user error. But also sometimes they just happen. Not all but alot of reefers will eventually experience one from what I've read.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing wrong with GE Silicone 1 or 2 if properly cured. Myself and everyone I know uses it and never heard of a problem. Silicone 1 can be used within a day. Silicone 2 requires at least a week to cure.

I primarily go with GE 1 as im very impatient and don’t mind the smell so much.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong here... Most crashes are user error. But also sometimes they just happen. Not all but alot of reefers will eventually experience one from what I've read.
Seems about right.
For me, I feel like most likely scenario would be equipment failure while away on vacation,,, if whoever is checking up on the house isn't there to catch it soon enough.

OP
OP
K

Korkuc36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing wrong with GE Silicone 1 or 2 if properly cured. Myself and everyone I know uses it and never heard of a problem. Silicone 1 can be used within a day. Silicone 2 requires at least a week to cure.

I primarily go with GE 1 as im very impatient and don’t mind the smell so much.
I let it cure a week. Completely scentless so I'm like ok great. Hooked the sump up and everything died. Took the sump out and things are looking better. It was definitely the GE. Idk if they changed something or what. I was searching the forum after the crash and everyone who used number 2 has a horror story. Unfortunately I read all that info after my install and not before it ...

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I used GE. Yes I know. I'm kicking myself in the butt. I pulled the sump and rebuilt using aqueon. I used GE trying to save a few bucks but it cost me hundreds. (Kill me)
I've used 100% silicone with no additives to build a shallow 50 and had fish in it 2 days later. It should be labeled if it has a fungicide or copper compounds in it.

OP
OP
K

Korkuc36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used 100% silicone with no additives to build a shallow 50 and had fish in it 2 days later. It should be labeled if it has a fungicide or copper compounds in it.
It's definitely had the mold stuff. But me being me I assumed that once it's cured it inert. Absolutely not the case with GE II nowadays. Reached out to a rep and there is actually trace amounts of mold resistant chemicals in the silicone. It was 100 percent silicone it just had a "couple additional things". Gotta love marketing

OP
OP
K

Korkuc36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for responding to the OP. I was in a different forum awhile back and got nothing. So I was expecting the same here. Absolutely not the case. loving this forum

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and the community! So sorry for your loss! You mentioned GE. Are you sure it's the one with no additives because they make various types and did you follow their curing process? I would also add extra time onto it just to be safe given their products and curing times don't factor in using them with livestock to the best of my knowledge.

Also @vetteguy53081 asked some good questions about cycling, etc if this is a new setup? Is it possible the crash was due to too many inhabitants too soon which caused an ammonia spike?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely had the mold stuff. But me being me I assumed that once it's cured it inert. Absolutely not the case with GE II nowadays. Reached out to a rep and there is actually trace amounts of mold resistant chemicals in the silicone. It was 100 percent silicone it just had a "couple additional things". Gotta love marketing
This would be a major bummer if correct as ge 1 is routinely out of stock near me.
Someone should do a legit test.

OP
OP
K

Korkuc36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone one week in. With the help of prime, stability, and chemipure, and just about a 100 percent water change my 3 rock flowers and crabs are doing okay. Zoa patches are still closed. Went through a small cycle afterwords. Ended up Losing my snails, clarki clown, Gobi, lionfish, coral beauty, ritteri and some Montis. And various others. Lost it all within 2 hours of introducing the silicone. (Still can't believe it) ... I'm on my way to Making great strides to another great little slice of the ocean.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone one week in. With the help of prime, stability, and chemipure, and just about a 100 percent water change my 3 rock flowers and crabs are doing okay. Zoa patches are still closed. Went through a small cycle afterwords. Ended up Losing my snails, clarki clown, Gobi, lionfish, coral beauty, ritteri and some Montis. And various others. Lost it all within 2 hours of introducing the silicone. (Still can't believe it) ... I'm on my way to Making great strides to another great little slice of the ocean.
Be sure to read the contents. It should say silicone. No additives. Good luck on your next tank.

OP
OP
K

Korkuc36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone. I ended up rebuilding my sump 5 days ago with aqueon silicone. Is it safe now or should I let it cure more? Super paranoid. Directions say cures in 5 minutes. Yes 5 minutes lol and fully submersible in 24-48 hours.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Alright everyone. I ended up rebuilding my sump 5 days ago with aqueon silicone. Is it safe now or should I let it cure more? Super paranoid. Directions say cures in 5 minutes. Yes 5 minutes lol and fully submersible in 24-48 hours.
have the sump hold water for a day or two after, and drop some de-chlorinating liquid in there. rinse, and thoroughly wipe down. this is what i did when i did my sump.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back