OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this growing now on one of my rocks?
IMG_6977.JPG

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the only spot I have right now. Is it typical in the cycle process?

If I get a cuc with not it die off because there’s nothing else to eat?

U

User1

View Badges
It is growing and or spreading based on the image you showed. I'm seeing strands elsewhere. The short answer is yes, part of the cycle just like diatoms are. I wouldn't go crazy on a clean up crew unless there is more or it is out of control. I'm sure others will be able to provide more input but basically diatoms and hair algae, or other algae, can assist in taking care of it. I guess what I'm saying is depending on how bad or wide spread it is I wouldn't go adding 200 snails tomorrow :) However, adding a hand full may not hurt.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re right, if I look close I see some more starting up on some other rocks.
Should I increase the flow on my UV?

U

User1

View Badges
I don't think UV would effect or do anything so no - although I'm not an expert. Hair algae will be consumed by a clean up crew such has turbo snails, emerald crabs, or any other algae eating creature. I don't recall how far along your tank is but some tangs would also do the job. Torchus snails come to mind if you have any - just set them on the rock and let them go.

Are you feeding the tank or how far along the cycle is it and water parameters. It would be the standard process to follow.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 1 month into the cycle. I've had a couple clownfish in there for a couple weeks now, feeding them every other day small dried NLS food and frozen brine every once in a while.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I did just on a whim to be honest. Last night I added 20 ml of ammonia and will measure here in a couple of minutes. I'm interested to see what it reads after that dose before I toss in the All in One product. If it is in the proper range then I'll have it added by noon :) Only a week later than what I wanted but that is just how it goes...

I'm having a really difficult time for some reason balancing my sump's water level vs. tested power failure and overflow. I needed a bigger sump due to the amount of water returning to the sump :( I probably should drill a small hole in the Sea Swirls which would help but since I've not done that before I'm a bit hesitant. I'll also add a check valve although I still want to be able to not flood/overflow on power off so that is what I've been toying with. Setting that level.

You can drill the sea swirl, I drilled the pvc elbow attachment just before the threads. Works great.

U

User1

View Badges
Ok - so definitely a part of the end to end cycle and process. Probably safe to add a small clean up crew. Snail of your choice for sure. Several to choose from. I prefer those that tend to get back up if they fall over. Turbos are great but usually struggle in reef aquaria to right when on their side or backs. I avoid hermits because they always go for the snails if I forget to add empty shells.

U

User1

View Badges
You can drill the sea swirl, I drilled the pvc elbow attachment just before the threads. Works great.

Thanks. I still haven't done this but really need to. As dumb as this sounds I may need to send you a message with a picture to make sure I understand where! It is a pretty small hole regardless, right? And angled down since water will exit?

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I still haven't done this but really need to. As dumb as this sounds I may need to send you a message with a picture to make sure I understand where! It is a pretty small hole regardless, right? And angled down since water will exit?
Just drill it straight thru... two holes on each. No angle.
f16ccf373d74d55e43654f56033c32e7.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
t1.JPG
Two holes per SS I should have said.

Thanks. Your SS is threaded up top? Mine is slip on with threaded on the exit. Here is a crud picture based on how yours is done I would drill in the middle a tick below the top of the elbow?

Last edited by a moderator:

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes as long as you dont drill the part of the ss attached to the unit... if that is just the pvc fitting then yeah go for it.

U

User1

View Badges
How is your tank doing since the hair algae outbreak (minor)?

My cycle seems to still be running its course or so it would appear. Ammonia is 0 (possibly 0.2), Nitrite 1+, and Nitrate is 20 - 50 using Red Sea kits according to the test I ran this afternoon. That is about the same result compared to the test on 2/23 and again on 2/25. Go figure.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting green hair algae now, I’ve been pulling it out manually. It’s a pain!!

Added some lps and sps last week. They’re doing good.

Couple of clowns still going strong.

Gonna add some more fish maybe next week.

U

User1

View Badges
Good to hear on progress, not algae though. Have you added any snails that may help to control it and/or a emerald crab?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree if you are getting hair algea keep is short so your algea eaters can get the upper hand. I would increase your snail population.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back