• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Tank cycling with ATM colony

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
So it’s a 22 gal tank it’s been running for two weeks and I tested it yesterday the results where:
Ammonia : 0.5
Nitrite : 0 - 0.25
Nitrate: 0 - 0.25
I have added one dose of seachem stabilise last week but the tank unfortunately overheated right after adding it I’m going to add another dose of that in and half the amount of ATM colony needed for a tank my size if I do this will I be able to add one ocellaris Clown tomorrow ?
And if I add another clown further down the line will they be aggressive do I need to add them both at the same time or no ?

image.jpg

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
If it’s a new tank unless you’ve added a shrimp or something I’m not sure were the 0.5 ammonia has come from

The idea with colony is you add it to the new tank and add fish straight away and it does an immediate cycle and it works very well

You could be ok doing what you suggest, or maybe wait a day or so to see if the ammonia drops before adding the fish

If it were me in a tank of that size I’d just start again

Fill
Heat up
Add ATM colony as per instructions
Add fish
Done

Ive just done it again in my ‘big tank’ with 5 large bottles and 30 fish on day one and it works if used correctly

As far as the fish, it depends on the individuals but you will probably be fine, but ideally add them together

OP
E

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
If it’s a new tank unless you’ve added a shrimp or something I’m not sure were the 0.5 ammonia has come from

The idea with colony is you add it to the new tank and add fish straight away and it does an immediate cycle and it works very well

You could be ok doing what you suggest, or maybe wait a day or so to see if the ammonia drops before adding the fish

If it were me in a tank of that size I’d just start again

Fill
Heat up
Add ATM colony as per instructions
Add fish
Done

Ive just done it again in my ‘big tank’ with 5 large bottles and 30 fish on day one and it works if used correctly

As far as the fish, it depends on the individuals but you will probably be fine, but ideally add them together
But I have seen on YouTube that you should wait for an ammonia reading before adding the colony though ? So are you saying I should completely empty the tank and start again or can I add the colony wait a day or so to see if ammonia drops then add fish ? Don’t you need fish for the colony to work ?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
You could try adding the colony to see if it removes the ammonia

Colony is very simple to use, and hence if your having problems sometimes in a tank that size it’s easier to just do a restart rather than battling problems from the start

And yes you need fish for colony to work effectively. Just follow the instructions

OP
E

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
You could try adding the colony to see if it removes the ammonia

Colony is very simple to use, and hence if your having problems sometimes in a tank that size it’s easier to just do a restart rather than battling problems from the start

And yes you need fish for colony to work effectively. Just follow the instructions
Is it safe to add fish using the colony now or not ?

MnFish1

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So it’s a 22 gal tank it’s been running for two weeks and I tested it yesterday the results where:
Ammonia : 0.5
Nitrite : 0 - 0.25
Nitrate: 0 - 0.25
I have added one dose of seachem stabilise last week but the tank unfortunately overheated right after adding it I’m going to add another dose of that in and half the amount of ATM colony needed for a tank my size if I do this will I be able to add one ocellaris Clown tomorrow ?
And if I add another clown further down the line will they be aggressive do I need to add them both at the same time or no ?

image.jpg
This will be heresy to some - but - the way those products work is (as per their instructions) - Add the product - and add fish. Otherwise - the bacteria in the product don't do anything. So - maybe - make up another complete batch of Saltwater - then - follow the instructions on the bottle - adding fish - and the product (I've never used ATM Colony - but I just looked up the directions) - Seachem Stability (I assume you're using this instead of 'stabilize' ) - I have used with many tanks - and no problems adding the first dose one day - and adding fish the next. I would think a small pair of clowns would not be a problem in that situation. I would not do that with an ammonia level of 0.5. Just my thoughts good luck what ever you decide.

Have you ever used a spoon, hose and rubber band together to remove algae?

• YES

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • NO

Votes: 128 50.0%
  • What the heck? (see the thread)

Votes: 114 44.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors