Tank Cycling

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was just wondering what is the best bacteria to cycle a reef tank. I will post probably use dry sand and real reef rock. Since I am most probably going to use dry sand, there won't be a lot of bacteria, but there will be some dormant bacteria in the real reef rock if I am not wrong. I might use live sand as well, I am not sure yet. What bacteria do you think I should use?
1. ATM Colony
2. MicroBacter 7
3. Fritz Turbo Start 900
Please let me know what bacteria I should use. I will also dose the tank with some bacteria every time I do a water change as well. Please let me know. Thank you. These three are the only options I have, so please let me know which one to use. I can also mix the two bacterias as well. I am thinking of mixing ATM Colony and MicroBacter 7 and using it.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mixing is the best option you will have more variety. ATM and MB7 is a good combination.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okie thanks! Do you think I should use MB7 or another of Brightwell's products to cycle my tank?

Brightwell has a microbacter start for cycling. That would be better to start with over the MB7 but either would ultimately work in the end.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was just wondering what is the best bacteria to cycle a reef tank. I will post probably use dry sand and real reef rock. Since I am most probably going to use dry sand, there won't be a lot of bacteria, but there will be some dormant bacteria in the real reef rock if I am not wrong. I might use live sand as well, I am not sure yet. What bacteria do you think I should use?
1. ATM Colony
2. MicroBacter 7
3. Fritz Turbo Start 900
Please let me know what bacteria I should use. I will also dose the tank with some bacteria every time I do a water change as well. Please let me know. Thank you. These three are the only options I have, so please let me know which one to use. I can also mix the two bacterias as well. I am thinking of mixing ATM Colony and MicroBacter 7 and using it.
You only need one product. I have been using BioSpira and that brings 0.5 ppm ammonia down to zero in less than 4 days. Fritz Turbo Start 900 is another faster worker. If you live in a very cold area, there is always a chance that the bottled bacteria was frozen during shipping and will not work. Just a heads up if the ammonia is not coming down within days. No product is likely to bring down nitrite quickly, just a heads up If you are wondering. In salt water, nitrite is not a concern.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need one product. I have been using BioSpira and that brings 0.5 ppm ammonia down to zero in less than 4 days. Fritz Turbo Start 900 is another faster worker. If you live in a very cold area, there is always a chance that the bottled bacteria was frozen during shipping and will not work. Just a heads up if the ammonia is not coming down within days. No product is likely to bring down nitrite quickly, just a heads up If you are wondering. In salt water, nitrite is not a concern.
Yep, I have been doing a lot of research for the last few years during the lockdown. I had a fowlr tank before but never a reef tank. And no, our place does not get too cold. In fact, it gets too hot and so we need a chiller.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I have been doing a lot of research for the last few years during the lockdown. I had a fowlr tank before but never a reef tank. And no, our place does not get too cold. In fact, it gets too hot and so we need a chiller.
I just saw your location. Overheating the bottled bacteria is more likely. Good luck!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back