• No Difference

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

shinypenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at a few tanks. Would appreciate feedback on what would be best for the tank inhabitants.

Comparing Innovative Marine 30 (36 x 11 x 13) and 40 (24 x 20 x 19). Long versus Cube.

I like the look of the cube and the additional aquascaping options a tall tank brings (last tank was a 3' 65 gallon). However I'm concerned that a tax with a max side length of 24 inches makes it really tough to get line of sight breaks and to section off different areas with rockwork to minimize aggression. Long thin tanks appear easier for this.

Inhabitants of the tank not set in stone yet, but likely to include a pair of clownfish (percula or ocellaris). Do you think the tank dimensions (from the above options) would make a difference in minimizing aggression?

I'm also open to suggested tankmates for a clown pair in this size tank. I guess most would go the Goby/Royal Gramma/Blenny/single chromis but I'd love to be able to do firefish/cardinals if aggression allows. I can't see any angel or wrasse being happy in that small a tank but other suggestions welcome. Reef safe is preferable.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish are good as singles in a small tank. They don't often pair up and one can be rather mean to the other one until is dies. I have some saphire damsels in my tank with a single clown. The beautiful blue color is a nice contrast to the clown's orange. Very peaceful.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are jerks. Mine bite any time I put my hand in the tank

OP
OP
S

shinypenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish are good as singles in a small tank. They don't often pair up and one can be rather mean to the other one until is dies. I have some saphire damsels in my tank with a single clown. The beautiful blue color is a nice contrast to the clown's orange. Very peaceful.

I've heard mixed things about the Damsels in a tank this small. How long have yours been doing well? I'd love them for their open water swimming and color, but concerned about aggression (eventually).

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard mixed things about the Damsels in a tank this small. How long have yours been doing well? I'd love them for their open water swimming and color, but concerned about aggression (eventually).

You could go with the Nuvo 30 EXT as another option. It gives you the full 15" width of the tank for aquascaping and a much larger Display when compared to the regular nuvo 30... plus they are on sale right now for 25% off which is another huge bonus;)

I think really the difference in benefits of these two tanks is the different aquascaping opportunities each one gives you. If you have the room for a longer tank you can divide it up nicely and it gives your corals lots of room to grow out width wise. So I guess the nuvo 30 could curb coral agression longer than the 40 as theres more room for them to spread out. But that really depends on the corals you put in it. As far as fish agression is concerned I don't personally see much benefit to one over the other.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Sapphire Damsels have been perfect tankmates. Good citizens.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The bigger the tank the less the aggression issues. This is true of almost all fish.
Most important Length followed by width

Curious - not sure what you mean and why. The fish don't know which is the 'length' (front) and which is the 'width' (side) - or did you mean something else?

I'm also open to suggested tankmates for a clown pair in this size tank. I guess most would go the Goby/Royal Gramma/Blenny/single chromis but I'd love to be able to do firefish/cardinals if aggression allows. I can't see any angel or wrasse being happy in that small a tank but other suggestions welcome. Reef safe is preferable.

I think the 'aggression' from a clown pair partly depends on the 'type of clown'. Maroon clowns would be a problem. Tomato clowns would be a problem. If you purchase a pair at a store - I have never seen an issue. As to tank mates - I have heard that Royal Gramma can be quite aggressive on their own - but bennies, and the others you mentioned gobies, etc should be fine. If you get some of them - get a mesh lid - as they will jump.:) from personal experience.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a direction that is longer than the space they are trying to claim. This is the most important thing. Width is the next as while it doesn't increase how far they can get away it does still give them more overall space. They don't see to care much about height as long as there is enough to swim around.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need a direction that is longer than the space they are trying to claim. This is the most important thing. Width is the next as while it doesn't increase how far they can get away it does still give them more overall space. They don't see to care much about height as long as there is enough to swim around.
Right - What I meant is there is no difference between a 3 foot long tank that is 2 feed wide - and a tank that's 2 feet long and 3 feet wide. The fish don't know which side is length and which is width. The front being 'the length'. Just didn't totally understand what you meant:)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back