Tank Emergency; Not sure as it might be too late

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bennies?? is what? a product?
Beneficial bacteria in a bottle. I just went through something similar after overdosing nitrates and used fritz 9 after changing out over 100% of my water and experiencing a minor recycle. Someone here has a bunch of threads in which they have experienced almost none to very minor tank cycles with similar products.
It helped me in my emergency.
I dont see how this issue is going to be rectified without totally removing anything living in new un tanted saltwater.
Adding this or similar product will help with whatever cycle OP may experience.

Speaking from experience all my lfs carry these products. And they do work in emergency situations like such as this.

Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in here to explain the scientific data behind it all!

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total meltdown this morning and stink.. you can smell it upstairs , dead snails everywhere ,., now I gotta find m 2 tennis ball sized snails and sea urchins ... I’ve had these 2 snails along with my clams for years

image.jpg

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gheez its hard watching a big reef slowly die: Blue tang has “burn marks”? Or discoloration on its sides, fish are inactive, Nowhere to put my sps as theve encrusted on big rocks...heck 1/2 my sps are totally bleached, LPS are snot balls....
....maybe thousands $$$ in corals are not totally smoked :mad: .... appologies, have to externalize and vent
So sorry you are having to go through this. I can’t imagine how I would cope with that. Hope you get it sorted.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so hard to hear..hoping for better results,glad to hear"never give up"with ya here ,keep us posted,here to help ;)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this once at a tank my non-profit set up at a facility. Someone poured bleach into it overnight and I got the emergency call. I had to go in and remove everything. It was heartbreaking to see and do.
We are here for you.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am burnt .. But not quitting.... and yeah just to remove all the dead inverts is gonna require a total tear down ...sps are gone... I’ll be headed to Aquatica for the Fritz 9
Hey Doc if they dont have the fritz 9 they should have something similar. I'd make sure you grab a cpl bottles it looks like you have a lot of water change ahead of you.
Best wishes here man hang in there!

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is evolving into a re-build thread, may as well head over there next.
Hey Doc if they dont have the fritz 9 they should have something similar. I'd make sure you grab a cpl bottles it looks like you have a lot of water change ahead of you.
Best wishes here man hang in there!
Appreciate that...
The tank has been nuked, again. Coraline on rock and walls, zapped, rock looks funny. SPS are white skeletons, clams agape. I Had to do a total teardown just to get all the invert bodies. So far surviving: hair algae, nerites, fish +2 rediscovered, LPS (most). It’s looking like a full re-boot
D3501DD9-7017-4A75-85F9-0DA68A1DA890.jpeg
5D8223E9-7B76-4B4D-8891-3636F9B81ED6.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,always a light at the other side of a tunnel,i'll 2nd that on starting a build thread ,get a cool badge ,easy to follow ,and good for personal reference!!!seem to be taking well considering ;) come up with a catchy title,example,"doc's reboot from,tragedy to triumph" :cool:again sorry ,following..:)

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae made it...figures. I lost a tank one time, I know the feeling. Sorry it happened but glad you are hanging in there..

For the sake of discussion and future reference, in a situation like this wouldn't it be wise to treat tap water for chlorine, forgetting RO/DI unless you happen to have enough for a nearly complete water chang?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The peroxide lingered for likely 8 hours max then dissipated. Filtration bac aren’t harmed by peroxide, we have traced 35% overdoses like this one before

macro animals like pods and worms sure could be killed, corals, but not the biofilter. Non seneye ammonia assessment isn’t going to help as well...

the tank and what’s left can proceed after a water change to export loss compounds and waste from the system, directly kill the algae off rocks for a clean start but you’re still cycled and never un cycled. Curious about fish loss here I’m going back to re read, theyre usually very tough in peroxide mishaps

in ten years of collected peroxide errors I don’t recall a single un cycle. I do recall a lot of .25 and .5 api ammonia reports, but that’s what api reports on normal systems so it seemed affirming

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The peroxide lingered for likely 8 hours max then dissipated. Filtration bac aren’t harmed by peroxide, we have traced 35% overdoses like this one before

macro animals like pods and worms sure could be killed, corals, but not the biofilter. Non seneye ammonia assessment isn’t going to help as well...

the tank and what’s left can proceed after a water change to export loss compounds and waste from the system, directly kill the algae off rocks for a clean start but you’re still cycled and never un cycled. Curious about fish loss here I’m going back to re read, theyre usually very tough in peroxide mishaps

in ten years of collected peroxide errors I don’t recall a single un cycle. I do recall a lot of .25 and .5 api ammonia reports, but that’s what api reports on normal systems so it seemed affirming
I figure I should step in in case anyone reading this gets the wrong idea- a strong oxidizer, such as 35% hydrogen peroxide can and will kill bacteria, including nitfiying bacteria if the final concentration and contact time are sufficient. It's soul crushing what the OP had to go through and the last thing I would want would be someone skimming this thread to get the wrong idea and use hydrogen peroxide cavalierly on their live rock. There are procedures for using peroxide with live rock, but please make sure to follow protocols for your particular application before assuming any concentration of the oxidizer is safe.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m wondering if the delineantor here is my use of “food grade” 35% peroxide ...you can spot target algae in tank with the 3% stuff, but in even then in small amounts, but 35% will burn your skin. I’m wondering if its a total nuke: the rock is bone white/gray. Check out this pics; the tank is bone white....it looks surreal:

I figure I should step in in case anyone reading this gets the wrong idea- a strong oxidizer, such as 35% hydrogen peroxide can and will kill bacteria, including nitfiying bacteria if the final concentration and contact time are sufficient. It's soul crushing what the OP had to go through and the last thing I would want would be someone skimming this thread to get the wrong idea and use hydrogen peroxide cavalierly on their live rock. There are procedures for using peroxide with live rock, but please make sure to follow protocols for your particular application before assuming any concentration of the oxidizer is safe.
Yes, thank you...heck that shudda been said first. I purposefully wanted to share this bad experience and again, truly appreciate the thoughtful public service message.
I’ll repost these pics in my rebuild thread for the same purpose.

6428A79E-4BD1-4083-9E76-D3DD2F920E9D.jpeg

Last edited:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if the delineantor here is my use of “food grade” 35% peroxide ...you can spot target algae in tank with the 3% stuff, but in even then in small amounts, but 35% will burn your skin. I’m wondering if its a total nuke: the rock is bone white/gray. Check out this pics; the tank is bone white....it looks surreal:

Yes, thank you...heck that shudda been said first. I purposefully wanted to share this bad experience and again, truly appreciate the thoughtful public service message.
I’ll repost these pics in my rebuild thread for the same purpose.

6428A79E-4BD1-4083-9E76-D3DD2F920E9D.jpeg
Absolutely brutal!
Make sure you post your rebuild thread so I can tag along.
Best wishes man

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it burns so bad agreed, turned my hand white. I believe it to be the meanest eye irritant known to mankind not in a laboratory, that they sell it otc in my local nature store is amazing. it is the buzzsaw of reefing agreed. Id do a nice exporting water change and you can lightly ammonia dose it to verify moves back down next day if needed, that'll pale in comparison to the recent loss cascade.

i bet the bacteria even endured 35%, I can put a few mils of it directly into my pico and corals are habituated

burns human skin and eyes so badly, must take eyecare precaution

gloves not so much

because once you get it on your skin, you wont again, then its solved lol but eyes required.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back