Tank Establishing New Hierarchy. How along Does it Take?

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got my last fish from Dr Reef today. a Male Bellus Angelfish. I had ask for one about 3”, but he sent me one that’s a good 5” long. OMG it looks big. My female Bellus is barely 3”. Not a problem, because the female was all about having a new boyfriend, all be it, a rather large friend.

My concern was the resident tangs. A powder blue, a purple and a feisty little Tomini who still thinks she is boss. She is half the size of the other two. There is also a Hippo, but she is harmless.

Here is how my plan evolved. Acclimation for about 2 hours (big salinity difference), then I put him in an observation box in the DT. This was for about an hour. Only one that paid attention to him was the Female Bellus. I think she fell in love immediately. Time to release him, so I put out two big algae clips to keep the tangs busy and turned him loose. Seemed okay, but each tang would run over and take a flash at him, then back to the algae. Funny that the tank boss is the purple, but the other two were the aggressors. After about 15 minutes of positioning, I turned all the lights off. PB and Tomini went to their hiding spots. Now the Purple decided it wants to do his thing. Never really looked like bad aggression, but definitely pushing the new guy to one side of the tank. I was ready for that. While the lights were out, I rearranged a few rocks and hung a mirror by the algae clips. Gave it an hour and Lights back on! Well, that worked pretty good. New Bellus is swimming all over checking out the tank, and the three tangs are all having a great time with the mirror.

As I’ve written this, everybody has settled down except for Mr Tank Boss Purple Tang. He still wants that guy in the mirror, but he’s not even noticing the new Bellus right now.

So normally, about how long does it take for everyone to settle down and play nice? Thinking I will leave the mirror there for the rest of the day.

Jetson

Jetson

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So, I got my last fish from Dr Reef today. a Male Bellus Angelfish. I had ask for one about 3”, but he sent me one that’s a good 5” long. OMG it looks big. My female Bellus is barely 3”. Not a problem, because the female was all about having a new boyfriend, all be it, a rather large friend.

My concern was the resident tangs. A powder blue, a purple and a feisty little Tomini who still thinks she is boss. She is half the size of the other two. There is also a Hippo, but she is harmless.

Here is how my plan evolved. Acclimation for about 2 hours (big salinity difference), then I put him in an observation box in the DT. This was for about an hour. Only one that paid attention to him was the Female Bellus. I think she fell in love immediately. Time to release him, so I put out two big algae clips to keep the tangs busy and turned him loose. Seemed okay, but each tang would run over and take a flash at him, then back to the algae. Funny that the tank boss is the purple, but the other two were the aggressors. After about 15 minutes of positioning, I turned all the lights off. PB and Tomini went to their hiding spots. Now the Purple decided it wants to do his thing. Never really looked like bad aggression, but definitely pushing the new guy to one side of the tank. I was ready for that. While the lights were out, I rearranged a few rocks and hung a mirror by the algae clips. Gave it an hour and Lights back on! Well, that worked pretty good. New Bellus is swimming all over checking out the tank, and the three tangs are all having a great time with the mirror.

As I’ve written this, everybody has settled down except for Mr Tank Boss Purple Tang. He still wants that guy in the mirror, but he’s not even noticing the new Bellus right now.

So normally, about how long does it take for everyone to settle down and play nice? Thinking I will leave the mirror there for the rest of the day.

Jetson

Jetson
You shouldn’t have much aggression issue with this fish

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope not. It’s a beauty. I like the way it swims high in the tank.

All four tangs are still busy with the mirror. I kinda feel bad for them, but it’s sure keeping them occupied. Guess they’re protecting those algae clips.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back