Tank filled with diatoms suddenly

amane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello community,
I am new to this hobby I have setup my tank 6 weeks before. After week 4 I introduced clowns and purple dottyback. Purple dottyback disappeared 4 days ago in my tank and from that day onwards diatoms start to appear and its growing quickly. I have waterbox marine 35.1x. can you please guide me what to do?

IMG-0256.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the 'uglies'. Just a symptom (and a positive one) that your tank is maturing. Not much to do and should away on it's own in a week or two. There are actions you can do and recommendations on here, but I'd go that route only if you have an exceptionally bad diatom bloom. Yours looks pretty normal and maybe less than average for now. Don't be surprised if it gets a bit worse before it gets better.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello community,
I am new to this hobby I have setup my tank 6 weeks before. After week 4 I introduced clowns and purple dottyback. Purple dottyback disappeared 4 days ago in my tank and from that day onwards diatoms start to appear and its growing quickly. I have waterbox marine 35.1x. can you please guide me what to do?

IMG-0256.jpg
Scroll down to "intermission" (after the nitrogen cycle) and just be patient.

OP
OP
A

amane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello community,

IMG-0256.jpg
Looks like the 'uglies'. Just a symptom (and a positive one) that your tank is maturing. Not much to do and should away on it's own in a week or two. There are actions you can do and recommendations on here, but I'd go that route only if you have an exceptionally bad diatom bloom. Yours looks pretty normal and maybe less than average for now. Don't be surprised if it gets a bit worse before it gets better.
Thanks for the reply but I am still surprise about purple dottyback. If he died inside rock holes what should I do?

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal. I would get a couple astrea sanils, trochus snails , creith snails. They will knock it out.

Use a turkey baster or small powerhead and try and find the corpse and remove it. May just be hiding though.

Adding a wee bit of bacteria such as microbacter 7 would help to fight the next stage of hair algae and feed your corals that will improve your biome.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back