Tank in earthquake zone

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All.

I'm designing a new house and a new in wall look through tank. The house will be two story with the living and tank on the upper floor. We will be living in a high risk earthquake zone (Specifically, Blackball, New Zealand not too far from the alpine fault). How have others living in these sorts of areas braced your tank? I was thinking a galv metal frame that braces the top edge of the tank with one side bolted to be able to install/remove the tank with some form of cushioning between the steel and glass. The hood would hide the frame.
Keen to hear how others may have done it.

Cheers
Al

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask some locals. I'm in Socal and so far throughout the years just some sloshing but then again if a big one hits close enough the tank is not gonna be my 1st thought. I did brace to the ground and wall a JBJ nano 28 that was very top heavy on the standard stand.

OP
OP
AllanPritchard

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I think you guys in Socal have a similar risk to us in terms of the big one. I want my tank to be the last thing on my mind hence thinking about it now. It will be a 2m long, 700mm wide and around 600m high. I have already advised the structural engineer, I bit of sloshing and wet floors I can deal with but it is stopping the tanking moving/sliding within the stand I'm trying to avoid as well as roll over/stand failure as it will be 1.1m off the floor. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back