Tank in the middle of the living room - proper circulation

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm designing a tank, that faces the wall only on its shortest side, thus both the overflow box and sump outlet will be located on the same side, along a few circulating pumps ensuring strong water flow in that spot, as in the picture below.

On the other side, I'm planning to add a single Vortech mp40 to improve circulation on the other far side of the tank.
Mixed reef SPS/LPS.

Do you think it would work? I want to put reasonable and light scape, so water has at least a slightly easier job flowing around the construction.

1707016911887.png

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Canopy? Drill-able? Closed loop or run return in a canopy, Or both? No powerheads in display to block view. ( I'm not thinking about this or anything....lol)

OP
OP
T

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Canopy? Drill-able? Closed loop or run return in a canopy, Or both? No powerheads in display to block view. ( I'm not thinking about this or anything....lol)

160x70x60cm, no canopy - open top. Drillable. Closed loop with sump under the tank. Powerheads only on the narrow sides (wall-side - 3 power heads + sump output, the opposite side - 1, yet strong powerhead to maintain a clean look and allow water to mix on that edge of the tank).
I plan to put SPS in high flow areas and LPS in low flow areas as in the picture above.

Powerheads locations highlighted in yellow. They would blow into direction of the main current in the tank.
1707057807721.png

1707057750167.png

Last edited:

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at some peninsula builds? I think some of them are using gyre pumps on the on short overflow side to get circulation in the whole tank while leaving the 3 exposed sides open. I've seen it done with the gyre flowing vertically and horizontally.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Island tank community, there are so few of us here on Reef2Reef.
My center reef is 94" x 36" x 28" tall. I run 2 mp60's 2 Gyro 350's and 4000 gph on my 2 return pumps, I would say my flow is just about right if the gyros get dirty the flows not enough. The tank is 3 combined tanks a total of 14' long. The 2 end tanks are separate from the center reef.
IMG_6759.jpg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
160x70x60cm, no canopy - open top. Drillable. Closed loop with sump under the tank. Powerheads only on the narrow sides (wall-side - 3 power heads + sump output, the opposite side - 1, yet strong powerhead to maintain a clean look and allow water to mix on that edge of the tank).
I plan to put SPS in high flow areas and LPS in low flow areas as in the picture above.

Powerheads locations highlighted in yellow. They would blow into direction of the main current in the tank.
1707057807721.png

1707057750167.png
Where is the closed loop at? If its just the sump thats not really a closed loop. You would have the sump and return and then have another pump with an intake from the tank and possibly multiple returns back to the tank bypassing the sump entirely. Hide the intake and returns in the rock. Simple ball valves to shut it down if/when needs service.

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would watch the video on WWCs 750 gallon peninsula. They talk about running the powerheads a little lower than normal on the overflow side, and it pushes the water down low, grabs detritus, brings it to the top to then travel back across the surface and empty into the overflow.

8min mark:
The Biggest Mistake We've Ever Made | 750 Gallon Peninsula UPDATE

OP
OP
T

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They talk about running the powerheads a little lower than normal on the overflow side, and it pushes the water down low, grabs detritus, brings it to the top to then travel back across the surface and empty into the overflow.

Interesting, I actually thought about exactly the same approach.
It's for both aesthetic and functional reasons, as Vortech installed on the opposite wall side wouldn't interfere with the view to a lesser degree, too.

Additionally, I would like to use strong powerheads with some free performance capacity, so I can program them to occasionally (a few times per day for a short while) let them jump on 100% flow and blast all those residues out from the sand and rock surface.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back