Tank is cloudier than usual...how to fix

thepaulywog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a 120g tank about 6 weeks ago, and was pretty clear at first, but now it seems to be a bit more cloudier than usual. This is my first aquarium so I'm definitely new. What can I do to increase the clarity of the tank? I have a brand new skimmer, which seems to be working, but is it possible that it is not working hard enough? If so, how do I increase it's skimming abilities?

Thanks for the feedback!

Paul

OP
OP
T

thepaulywog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pauls tank1.jpeg
pauls tank 2.jpeg
pauls tank 3.jpg

This is a front view, side view and top view.

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial bloom for sure. It will pass eventually, but you need to make sure there is plenty of oxygen in the water. I would even consider doing a very large water change.

How exactly did you cycle the tank?

OP
OP
T

thepaulywog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled it with live rock for about a week and a half. With the skimmer and sump running of course too. I'm probably due for a water change... how much do I change out? Half or so? And do I let the fish just hang out while I switch it out?

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with a 20 percent water change, then weekly 10 percent; changes after that until things settle down a bit. In addition to running your skimmer, it may be beneficial to run a couple air pumps to keep adequate oxygen in the water.

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the tank really wasn't cycled very well (no offense intended). The tank is having a bacteria bloom due to the build up of nutrients from the added inhabitants. Water changes are going to be necessary. If you're running a skimmer, your water is liking fully oxygen saturated. Just keep an eye on your fish for signs of labored breathing.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week and a half is not even half of a cycle, also I see little to no surface disruption. You should angle one of your powerheads up to create surface disruption allowing for a better oxygen exchange between the air and the surface of your water. I am with everyone else, it is a bacterial bloom and should go away...but at six weeks I'd say your tank isn't done cycling yet either but getting close. Have you been running your lights, it's generally not good to run your lights during a cycle since it is already a preferential environment for algae to grow and adding light will just cause it to take off like crazy.

OP
OP
T

thepaulywog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my friends told me to let it cycle for at least a month or so, butI got super anxious and was sick of looking at live rock all day! Haha. Thanks for all the info everybody, I appreciate it. I think I was also running my lights too long... 12 hours basically, so I reduced it to 8. I will be conducting a water change and I also need to get 2 more power head pumps or whatever they're called.

Once again, thanks everybody!

Paul

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my friends told me to let it cycle for at least a month or so, butI got super anxious and was sick of looking at live rock all day! Haha. Thanks for all the info everybody, I appreciate it. I think I was also running my lights too long... 12 hours basically, so I reduced it to 8. I will be conducting a water change and I also need to get 2 more power head pumps or whatever they're called.

Once again, thanks everybody!

Paul

Word of advice: Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Patience and research are key.

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV sterilizer would clear it quickly, but I wouldn't run it long term. There is a cheap and effective one available called a "Green Neutralizing Machine" or something like that that I used after buying it at my local pet store for $50 or so. As others have mentioned though, it should clear on its own with a little time and patience.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back