Tank Journals & Build Threads: Do you have one?

Do you have a build thread or tank journal here on R2R?

• YES and I keep it updated

Votes: 148 37.3%
  • YES but I don't keep it updated

Votes: 79 19.9%
  • NO but I want to create one

Votes: 118 29.7%
  • NO not interested in starting a build thread or journal

Votes: 41 10.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 2.8%

• Total voters

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I do have a build thread but if I'm being honest I only started it and post to it when needed for giveaways. The closest thing I have that I actually use is keeping pictures on my phone to track coral growth, and keeping my tested parameters in Apex fusion.

2. I can see why having a detailed log of everything you do with your tank could help others decide what might or might not work with their tank.

3. I have nothing to add that hasn't already been mentioned, but it would be nice to be able to sort build threads based on equipment that your considering getting. For instance I just recently purchased some of the newer Noopsyche lights, and I was stalking different peoples build threads trying to get opinions on them. It would've been great if it were easy to filter them based upon the light I was looking at.

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if R2R is just not as good for engagement, or maybe my build thread is just lost in all of the noise on R2R.
You've got a great tank, and honestly you're pretty dead on. Look how many people keep asking the same questions over and over and over, without doing any kind of search. They will make an account, ask two questions and then leave because no one has responded directly to them within 15 minutes.

This isn't to poop on new members, other than in today's world of now, now, now it is what it is. I usually ONLY look at member's tanks and try to see what neat things they are doing with their set up.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you have a build thread or tank journal here on R2R?
Yes, I have a build thread. I also used it to share a little about how/why I got into the hobby. Why? Not sure who else I could tell that would understand. LOL.

2. What are some ways that the community benefits from reading tank build threads and journals?
Ideas and also the setting of expectations. We all have different systems, requirements, and as a result journeys. Sometimes some things look easy. Or hard. Build threads help people consider ideas, possibilities, outcomes, mitigations, and pro-tips. Some mistakes are just too expensive to make if you could lean on the experience of others to avoid them.

3. How could we make maintaining and accessing build threads more attractive to you?
This forum has a lot of resources available. Build-threads might be a little nested if you're new to the site. I agree with others that perhaps being able to have an equipment and stocking list that can be searched would be helpful.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes i have 3 up right now haha

2. It definitely awesome to see all the different ways people go about their tanks. Theres so many different ways to be successful in this hobby but theres also just as many if not more ways to fail. Its nice to see what works for some and what doesnt.

3. The biggest issue i see with build threads is theyre getting buried in the posts and they dont get as much view time as say a topic that invokes more conversations that is getting bumped by the constant replies.

I do keep it updated. It gets very few views, especially compared to other content I create around my reef. Interesting, especially since I used to get a whole lot of engagement on the other big forum, when I maintained build threads there. I wonder if R2R is just not as good for engagement, or maybe my build thread is just lost in all of the noise on R2R. Either way, it's nice having a place to come to track my progress over the 3 years of keeping my 120 gallon mixed reef.
120 Gallon Mixed Reef 3 Years Old Matt Geldof October 2021.jpg
I definitely feel its an issue of them getting lost in the various posts. R2R has so many people posting at any given time and a large majority are only checking the newest posts everyday.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and it's mainly from the inception of my desire to get back in the hobby.
After setup came the uglies and who the heck wants to see that, then it's scarcely stocked, who wants to see that, then is has sticks and nub corals, who wants to see that.
I am waiting to have the tank fleshed out with growth that I help get before I update my thread again and as everyone knows, that takes time.

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I do.

2. What are some ways that the community benefits from reading tank build threads and journals?
I've enjoyed it because i'm able to get more "data points" from people who have attempted to do similar builds and see what successes and mistakes they've made, and infuse them into my decision making. Additionally, others are super helpful and give feedback on my steps in my build.

3. How could we make maintaining and accessing build threads more attractive to you?
Wonder if categorizing build threads by types of build (i.e. pre-defined tags) to make it easier to find what you're looking for.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
1) Here's mine: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/littlebigreefs-220.314319/page-3
Just updated it after a year. There's a move, and two new build's included in the update, lots of pics. Enjoy!

2) In short, research. However, for as much as I harp on people to do research, come up with a plan, benchmarks and goals I see is a lot of 'shoot, ready aim.' That's why I always encourage people to ask questions, doesn't matter who you are, there's always more to learn and if you can save yourself some grief in the process even better.

3) For me its pics. Show me your results and then let's have a discussion about how you accomplished them. I'm at a point where new builds don't excite me as much and there's more than enough competent r2r's to give advice. I like to see people doing new creative things whether it's aquascapes, or keeping certain kinds of animals etc.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started one last night. Mostly to do contest entries; i just cant imagine the setup i have is going to be too interesting for people.

Dania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to read other peoples journels but don't have 1 on this site. Mainly because I only have freshwater tanks. I do have 1 on the betta forum because I just started a sorority. Just released the first 7 today. 5 more in about a week.
I do like seeing how other people do things.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes

I like that it makes it easier to find out what other people with similar tanks are doing. I like having my build thread because it is a good record of my progression. I do have a phone app which I use to keep detailed notes on changes and additions to my tank but it tends to be a very sterile list where the build thread has pictures and discussion and the opportunity to "think out loud". Another great thing about build threads is that when someone posts about a problem you can just click on their build thread link and get all sorts of extra information about their setup that can help with finding an answer.

Maybe it already is and I'm just not aware of it, but I'd like to make it easier to tag and find those threads where people have the same equipment as you. I'd like to find all of the IM 50 Lagoons with a click! Who else has Radions? Is there anyone else out there using a PLS-50 skimmer? I would like to find these people more easily through their build threads.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but like some others, it was started just for the contests. (In fact, the first sentence is " This is for all those contests that need an entry into a build thread.") I try to keep it fun and entertaining but sometimes I get too bogged down in the details to keep that spirit going. Then I lose interest even in my own thread. I find that the most read ones are the ones that go sideways into other directions.
Many times when looking for something using the search tool it will lead me to a build thread. So there is a lot of info there, just have to find it.

Having a sub folder inside each build thread for inclusion of all the pictures, diagrams and charts for a quick scan would help.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could we make maintaining and accessing build threads more attractive to you?

Maybe make the thread more like a Facebook page (I do not partake) if we could tag, link our sales items, etc all on our own page I’d pay extra for that.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Member's Aquarium Discussion

I've always been a HUGE believer that build threads or tank journals are a huge asset to the community and to you as the author of these "builds" or "journals." They are interesting to read but they offer so much value to the community in many other ways. I wanted to list these ways but I would rather hear your thoughts about build threads and see what you think the value of these journals are. I also want to make it better and for that I need your advice! So let's go!

Here are the forums we have for adding your own tank build or journal.
o;ui;u;u;.png

Member's Aquarium Discussion

I've always been a HUGE believer that build threads or tank journals are a huge asset to the community and to you as the author of these "builds" or "journals." They are interesting to read but they offer so much value to the community in many other ways. I wanted to list these ways but I would rather hear your thoughts about build threads and see what you think the value of these journals are. I also want to make it better and for that I need your advice! So let's go!

Here are the forums we have for adding your own tank build or journal.
o;ui;u;u;.png
Build threads are great but majority are big, 100 gallon etc are always highlighted, monster tank sump pump and thump, leaves little room for small normal size new or upcoming/ anyone who's trying to get started in a build thread is overwhelmed. Alot of members give great advice but feel they get bored of same old questions, I have read many post that's one word answer.. it's a snail, it's algae.. it's diatoms which is helpful but also unheplfull at the same time, I think many people need questions answered quickly to reassure them, also the fact that people reply helps alot to continue the chat. it's a tough one as all individuals has there own problems and seek a variety of help?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!

They can gather other peoples trials and triumphs and also enjoy some eye candy! :D

Being able to change the color of our build thread banners would be cool.

dzolot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m upgrading from a 150g display/ 175 total volume tank thanks a custom built 235g/ 300g total volume setup! I’ve been documenting with picture so i can do a thread, but haven’t actually sat down to start posting anything yet!

for people who have done a bike thread - do you post from your phone or an actual computer? Typing on a phone is so annoying, but logging onto my r2r account from a computer just feels like it will never happen …

here’s some pics from my 150g…

Attachments

• 97EBD329-BECE-4E5F-8CAE-7B81EC1C8029.jpeg
    97EBD329-BECE-4E5F-8CAE-7B81EC1C8029.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 101B04FE-771C-48A6-8AEC-C71A89A23BB2.jpeg
    101B04FE-771C-48A6-8AEC-C71A89A23BB2.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 32

Dania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's easier to post pics on my phone but I never log out on my computer so I use both.

Kostas G.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have

I think what benefits me the most is watching how successful long term reef keepers maintain their tanks successfully as well as when sharing their experiences on what they did and how this affected their tank over time.

I don’t know, I am fine with searching through them. What I don’t like is when I try to be descriptive and post lots of pictures in my thread but get no comment at all, positive or negative. That keeps me from maintaining my build thread as I don’t think it interests anyone

Terrp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not yet. I had planned to start one for my current tank but decided to spend the effort planning for a much bigger tank…

1. Provides a great research source for those planning similar setups.
  2. Provides a wealth of background information about the build thread contributor’s setup to put their posts on other threads into context.

Glad you asked! As others have suggested, to make the build threads much more valuable as a research tool and much easier to find by those who would be interested in reading them, it would be ideal if specific details about the thread were tracked in fields entered by the build thread contributor, and if readers were able to search, filter and sort by these fields in an online table. So, as a starting point, below is a wish list for some fields that could be organized in columns in a table for search/filter/sort (with one row for each build thread). Even without a searchable table, being able to see all of these fields at the start of a build thread would allow you to quickly get an overview of the build, rather than having to read through page after page of the thread just to see if the thread is even relevant for your needs.

Thread Details:
  • ROTM - This would be a flag that indicates the build was selected for Reef of the Month and also serves as a link to the Reef Spotlight
  • Thread Name – This would be a link to the build thread
  • Contributor – This would be a link to the build thread contributor's member page
  • FTS – This would be a thumbnail and link for a Full Tank Shot to be updated as desired by the contributor
  • Following – This field would indicate if you as a reader are following this thread

Display Tank Size:
(These fields to be entered by the build thread contributor*)
  • Volume (g)
  • L (in)
  • W (in)
  • H (in)

System Characteristics:
(These fields to be entered by the contributor* or left blank when not applicable)
  • Total System Volume (g)
  • Dominant Reef Type – SPS, LPS, Softie, Mixed, FOWLR, Macro Algae, Other
  • Dominant Fish Type – Predator, Community, Angelfish, Seahorse, etc.
  • Substrate – Bare Bottom, Fine, Special Grade, etc.
  • Rock – Dry, Maricultured, Real Reef, CaribSea LifeRock, Imported Live Rock, Synthetic, Mixed, Other, etc.
  • In-Tank Circulation – Closed Loop or Powerheads
  • Canopy – Y/N
  • Filtration Location – Under Tank, In Fish Room, Other
  • 2-Part Dosing – BRS, Triton, ESV, etc.
  • CaRx Media – Two Little Fishes, CaribSea ARM, etc.
  • Additives – ZEOvit, RedSea Foundations, Triton Trace Elements, etc.

Post Activity:
(These fields to be auto-generated by the system)
  • First Post Date
  • Last Post Date - The default filter could indicate a date that is no more than 3 months old, but the user could change that if desired
  • # of Posts - Total
  • # of Posts - Last 3 Months

Equipment Manufacturers:
(These fields to be entered by the contributor* or left blank when not applicable)
  • Display Tank
  • Stand
  • Lighting1
  • Lighting2
  • Controller
  • Automated Testing
  • Sump
  • Refugium
  • Algae Scrubber
  • Algae Reactor
  • Return Pump
  • Powerhead1
  • Powerhead2
  • Water Top Off
  • Fleece Roller
  • Dosing Pump
  • Calcium Reactor
  • Carbon Reactor
  • Other Media Reactor1
  • Other Media Reactor2
  • Heaters
  • Chiller
* = Most of these fields could be free form rather than drop down to reduce R2R administrator tasks and delays for supporting this. For example, while a drop down for every possible current and past skimmer manufacturer would be a bit more useful for filtering and sorting, the R2R team would not likely be able to keep up with maintaining the drop down options for every field without delays. Since the contributor would enter (and revise as needed) all of the fields in free-form text, the biggest work for the R2R team would be the initial setup.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back