Tank Journals - How far do you take them

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 9, 2012
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
247
Location
chico, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are many of us that keep a tank journal - and if you dont you should start - to log observations, maintenance, etc.

But who takes it a step further and adds in the "need too's"
It was a thought I had last night and an idea I will now be taking on. Figured I would share in case it might help someone else.

Basically turning your tank journal into a reminder as well. Works well for those that use a calendar to log their journaling in or say an app on a device you log into.

Ex - go thru and write in all your wc days so when you look your like oh ya weekly or monthly wc or a reminder is set. Thats an easy one and I doubt many of us forget it but better yet -
When you change your bulbs - go six months a head and write in a reminder - so when you see it - oh ya - bulbs need looked at.
Or say media changes - go your run length after changing and put your reminder. Etc etc etc

I can tend to space things when say month - months go by so figure this will help even the things going on around and in the tank stay consistent.

A big one for me will be my dreaded tank maintenance days - say removing cal rx or skimmer and inspecting - cleaning etc which has a few months inbetween those. Will be helpful to look at the calendar and have a reminder....... Oh ya - need to start thinking about servicing my cal rx or wash out my ato or inspect skimmer etc....... Than my next thought is "ah man" lol
 
I really like this idea. I keep a pretty decent log in my head, but I really do need to get it down on paper. It's a lot harder to forget something you have written down. I actually used to write the install date on my bulbs before I transitioned over to LEDs. As far as the 'need tos' I usually have a once a month list of everything I go through. We have extremely extensive logs at the shop that I run. When you have 17 different systems to maintain, if you don't have a list, things get missed. Plain and simple. Speaking of which, I need to check some reactors...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new