Tank Leak!

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. If you use 100% silicone it should be more than enough.

Amazing Goop, available at Lowe’s and other stores is awesome. Some of the strongest stuff i’v used. Have it in some tanks for over 10 years and still strong as new. It is amazing goop.

but as mentioned, 100% silicone works. It’s what all the tank manufacturers use to attach their acrylic overflows to their glass aquariums without issue.
Scrape clean, wipe with alcohol, re-attach

Nice to know. Thanks for posting.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no,you have two options make or order glass overflow box,2 run a stand pipe w screen fitting to desiered height,same with return pipe pvc drill1/8" hole in return elbow just below water line
Don’t remember ever seeing a glass overflow. Cutting a weir out of glass would be pretty tricky. Would think you’d have a hard time finding a glass guy willing to do it.

OP
OP
LFCBVB

LFCBVB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never not seen someone use ABS plastic or acrylic on glass tanks. I’ll have to do more research. Appreciate the knowledge on silicone etc

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to report back that I have installed my new overflow and cleaning all my fittings. Water is holding perfectly for more than 24 hours!

glass tanks usually have glass overflows that are then skinned in the black acrylic. I wouldn’t trust the plastic to hold longterm.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah those two gaskets screwed ya , you cannot tension on two gaskets in a threaded application, you would have needed a friction washer on the outside to keep it from binding up and letting water bypass , hence only one gasket on the wet side and you tension the nut which acts as the friction washer also to pull the bulkhead tight ,well its definitly something you only do , once :) Glad you got it all figured out !

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glass tanks usually have glass overflows that are then skinned in the black acrylic. I wouldn’t trust the plastic to hold longterm.
I have plastic overflows running for YEARS , never had any issue. All 5 of my systems overflows are ABS and tanks are glass with reg pvc pipe.

OP
OP
LFCBVB

LFCBVB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I had before was ABS plastic and had glass sealed to the inside of the overflow. It actually ended up being worse and falling apart hence why I replaced it. Im using really high grade Acrylic. The first overflow I sealed on was so incredibly strong I had to use a hammer to smash it off. The pressure on the inside and outside will balance out and not cause issues. I see hundreds of setups with just high grade ABS or acrylic.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back