Tank Lid Recommendations

gardiendepoisson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MPCReefer @gardiendepoisson Very good points here, here's some useful pics of our tab here that we thought could be helpful. Both for smaller tanks and larger tanks.

We'll also have some standard lids out for the Waterbox Reef 180's next week that'll have lower adjusted pricing and no measuring required. All our lids are 5 Year Warrantied against the situations mentioned below:

Lid Outside Tab 1.jpg

Lid Outside Tab 2.jpg

Lid Outside Tab Larger Tank.png
Sounds like my timing is good! I’ll check your site next week. Thanks!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clearview 3-piece lid for my Waterbox 180.5 and I hate it.
- I've had it just over a year and joints have cracked on all three pieces. The corner joints are too thin and should not be there in the first place; the cover sections should have each been molded in one solid piece, rather than assembled from parts with weak points.
- The center section has no support on the sides so the mesh sags right into the water.
- The company replaced the left and right sides when they failed during my warranty period but sent me back two left sides! They ignored me when I contacted them to fix the issue and by then, the warranty had expired.
- Salt collects in the joints like crazy which probably contributes to structural weakness.
- They wanted specific tank measurements because they don't trust the Waterbox build consistency. It's not easy to get extremely precise measurements with a standard measuring tape across the top of an active, tall tank like this; parallax is terrible.
I'm shopping for a replacement right now and I've got it narrowed down to Reefin Ain't Ezy (lidyourreef.com) and Top Lids; the first is almost $100 less than the second. Opinions?

Yes, I had a horrible experience with the company and Tsunami. They would not warranty it either even though it was less then a year, they told me too bad, here is a discount code to buy a new one. It is in a landfill now.

I had ALL the same problems as you. Except they told me they didn't need measurements and then it didn't fit properly around the overflow lol

I ended up getting a Octoaquatics lid as a replacement and I love it. I think pretty much any company but clearview probably does a nice job though. They should not be selling Tsunami. But is probably how they make money off their scape peices. ha! I ofc left a review but it gets moved so no one can post and buried so no one will know and continue to buy these garbage Tsunami lids. They never responded to me here.

Last edited:

Mr4000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my lid for my Cade 1800 peninsula from Top Lids and when i get it I'll post a review with pics. I will admit they were not my first choice because they are more expensive than the other company i was gonna use but ultimately decided on them. Was it worth the extra money, i hope so, we'll see when it comes in.

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed an order for a Pisces Exo on my new shallow build, recommended by my tank guy at Vivid Aquariums in LA. Early days but Clearview/Artful Acrylic has been nothing short of great to work with on precise measurements and making sure I know options and future-proofing ideas. I’ll be sure to comment in my build thread and vendor review when it all kicks off. 4’x2’ and the lid clears the overflow box on top so no big cut-out. If the product is as good as the CS to date I’m golden.

Once you have one jumper you’ll never go lidless again. It’s just a brutal scene to walk in on. Thanks to the OP for getting this thread going, hope it helps save some over-curious fishes.

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my lid for my Cade 1800 peninsula from Top Lids and when i get it I'll post a review with pics. I will admit they were not my first choice because they are more expensive than the other company i was gonna use but ultimately decided on them. Was it worth the extra money, i hope so, we'll see when it comes in.
@Mr4000 Absolutely, can't wait to see everything on top here shortly. Just putting the finishing touches on this CADE 1800 Peninsula lid before sending out

Jim Breedlove CADE Peninsula 1800 1.jpeg
Jim Breedlove CADE Peninsula 1800 2.jpeg

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping that lower price might drop in time for Christmas but I'm not seeing it. Maybe next week?
Merry Christmas!
And likewise for the holiday wishes :)

Yes apologies, we took the standard lids as an opportunity to revamp the website (we've wanted to for quite a while). Talking with our developer about getting started on it this week.

@gardiendepoisson In the meantime, just DM'd you if you'd like to get a design before the New Year. Talk with you shortly man

Enjoy the New Year y'all!

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself went with top lids, definitely not the cheapest but I was impressed with the look of them and the options. I’m happy with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 84

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself went with top lids, definitely not the cheapest but I was impressed with the look of them and the options. I’m happy with it.
@tsharpe129 Love it brother thanks for sharing. For those curious, this is an Innovative Marine 75 EXT with our most popular frame design, Fusion Vent.

Here's another pic of another Innovative EXT client with new UV Spline

IVMR 50 EXT.png

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Top_Lids did a great job with my 75 gallon lid… Hydra cutouts, cord cutouts, auto feeder cutout, overflow and 2 feed door cutouts.. all came out solid and very good fit !

Attachments

• 12AA508D-2411-4A33-813D-455D6407AE67.jpeg
    12AA508D-2411-4A33-813D-455D6407AE67.jpeg
    869.3 KB · Views: 124

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Top_Lids did a great job with my 75 gallon lid… Hydra cutouts, cord cutouts, auto feeder cutout, overflow and 2 feed door cutouts.. all came out solid and very good fit !
Nice setup! Is that a two piece lid or just one?

Edit: Looking more closely, looks to be just one. Almost exactly what I'm looking for except would like two pieces for maintenance, etc.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: Looking more closely, looks to be just one. Almost exactly what I'm looking for except would like two pieces for maintenance, etc.
Yep just 1 piece. Pretty sure they’ll make a 2 piece no problem. Tyler and Fred are awesome to work with and help design it. Just make sure you try to future proof it… ie, I had cord cutouts added to the sides as well in case I need to add more pumps in the future.

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep just 1 piece. Pretty sure they’ll make a 2 piece no problem. Tyler and Fred are awesome to work with and help design it. Just make sure you try to future proof it… ie, I had cord cutouts added to the sides as well in case I need to add more pumps in the future.
Aw shucks...thanks for the compliment man I'll make sure to let Freddy know

Yes future proofing is one of the most critical and overlooked parts of aquarium lids. It doesn't do much good if it limits you to what equipment you can use later, and therefore how your system evolves and changes over time

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes 2 pieces are just fine for any tank size, here's some examples for different tank sizes, both standard and peninsula overflows

Attachments

• RDSE 350 1.png
    RDSE 350 1.png
    927.3 KB · Views: 101
  • RDSE 350 2.png
    RDSE 350 2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
  • RDSE 350 3.png
    RDSE 350 3.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 57
  • WTBX 220.6 4.png
    WTBX 220.6 4.png
    540 KB · Views: 59
  • WTBX 220.6 6.png
    WTBX 220.6 6.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • WTBX 220.6 5.png
    WTBX 220.6 5.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
  • WTBX Reef 220.6 3.jpg
    WTBX Reef 220.6 3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 59
  • WTBX Reef 220.6 2.jpg
    WTBX Reef 220.6 2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 62
  • WTBX Reef 220.6 1.jpg
    WTBX Reef 220.6 1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 52
  • WTBX Reef 180.5 2.jpg
    WTBX Reef 180.5 2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 53
  • WTBX Reef 180.5 1.jpg
    WTBX Reef 180.5 1.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Peninsula Tank 4.jpeg
    Peninsula Tank 4.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Peninsula Tank 3.jpeg
    Peninsula Tank 3.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Peninsula Tank 2.jpeg
    Peninsula Tank 2.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Peninsula Tank 1.jpeg
    Peninsula Tank 1.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 51

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 124 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 34.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back