Tank Lid Recommendations

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gardiendepoisson Was great chatting with you to get your project started brother, I'll do my best to remember to post some pics of our lid here as soon as it's cut so you can see progress

Have a great New Year y'all :cool:

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, reviving an old thread. I have an IM Nuvo 20 peninsula. It came with a stock lid - black plastic, compression fits into the inside of the tank glass, 1/4" screen held in place by the rubber gasket thingy (just like a house window screen.

The lid functionally works, keeps my fish in, and lets light through (my royal gramma is a wicked jumper). But I'm having 2 issues besides the lid looking a little drab. I was hoping to get a little feedback on how some of the lids in this thread will fare.

1st, I have a clownfish that likes to splash. Like, a lot. When the lights go out at night, he floats at the water line, in the top corner farthest away from the return jet (lowest flow area in the tank, floats and sleeps there). When he does this, he splashes his tail at the surface while sleeping. Every single day... water drip marks down the outside of the tank, a lot of them. He's such a little turd. There's the smallest gap between my stock lid and the glass - maybe an 1/8 of an inch. He splashes so much that water gets through that little gap, drips over the side, and every morning you can see the water clinging between the cover and glass due to surface tension. Most of the lids here just sort of "sit" on TOP of the glass walls all the way around (whereas mine sits INSIDE the glass walls, except for some corner tabs, which leaves that very small vertical gap). I'm thinking the gap is still there, but the 90 degree bend will stop him from spashing the water up and over the edge. So I think all of the non tabbed versions in this thread will solve this splashing problem - you all agree?

2nd, and more tough - is salt creep. I get SO much salt creep through the joints of the stock cover in each of the four corners. How do these covers fare in this department? Back to my 1st issue, remember the surface tension thing from the splashing? That little bit of water held in place between the cover and the glass? That dries up and produces an insane amount of salt creep at that location. How will these covers fare in that department? Or is this something we all need to just suck up and deal with?

Thanks!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it really depends on how much water is getting splashed up. A lid that sits along the rim like Kraken Reefs will surely block out more water than a tabbed lid, but I think you may still get some wicking. So, some salt creep along the top edges, but perhaps not the long drips down the exterior.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, reviving an old thread. I have an IM Nuvo 20 peninsula. It came with a stock lid - black plastic, compression fits into the inside of the tank glass, 1/4" screen held in place by the rubber gasket thingy (just like a house window screen.

The lid functionally works, keeps my fish in, and lets light through (my royal gramma is a wicked jumper). But I'm having 2 issues besides the lid looking a little drab. I was hoping to get a little feedback on how some of the lids in this thread will fare.

1st, I have a clownfish that likes to splash. Like, a lot. When the lights go out at night, he floats at the water line, in the top corner farthest away from the return jet (lowest flow area in the tank, floats and sleeps there). When he does this, he splashes his tail at the surface while sleeping. Every single day... water drip marks down the outside of the tank, a lot of them. He's such a little turd. There's the smallest gap between my stock lid and the glass - maybe an 1/8 of an inch. He splashes so much that water gets through that little gap, drips over the side, and every morning you can see the water clinging between the cover and glass due to surface tension. Most of the lids here just sort of "sit" on TOP of the glass walls all the way around (whereas mine sits INSIDE the glass walls, except for some corner tabs, which leaves that very small vertical gap). I'm thinking the gap is still there, but the 90 degree bend will stop him from spashing the water up and over the edge. So I think all of the non tabbed versions in this thread will solve this splashing problem - you all agree?

2nd, and more tough - is salt creep. I get SO much salt creep through the joints of the stock cover in each of the four corners. How do these covers fare in this department? Back to my 1st issue, remember the surface tension thing from the splashing? That little bit of water held in place between the cover and the glass? That dries up and produces an insane amount of salt creep at that location. How will these covers fare in that department? Or is this something we all need to just suck up and deal with?

Thanks!
Not much you can do about salt creep but suck it up… the ones that do sit on top will stop the clown splashing “again salt creep” but no drips down the outside of the tank lol..

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really cool that you did this breakdown for everyone. Haven't really seen it done like this on R2R yet.

I'll DM you to see where you saw poor reviews. I'm the new owner (Tyler) and we are doing our best to remedy the poor customer service from the previous owners. Tbh it was pretty darn awful lol.

Have a great week guys
I got my lids from @Top_Lids (worked with Tyler on them) several months back and honestly couldn't be happier with them.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it really depends on how much water is getting splashed up. A lid that sits along the rim like Kraken Reefs will surely block out more water than a tabbed lid, but I think you may still get some wicking. So, some salt creep along the top edges, but perhaps not the long drips down the exterior.

Not much you can do about salt creep but suck it up… the ones that do sit on top will stop the clown splashing “again salt creep” but no drips down the outside of the tank lol..

I get salt creep through the plastic joints of my lid. Which is weird because the pieces are joined (plastic welded whatever that's called), yet even though the pieces are joined, there's still some way the salt gets up and through. It didn't do this for the first two years, but has started more recently. Nothing will ever stop the creep up a cable for a powerhead, but I'm assuming this won't happen through acrylic joints. What about around the openings - does it creep up through the little doors?

I know, I know - suck it up :) But the salt creep is annoying.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get salt creep through the plastic joints of my lid. Which is weird because the pieces are joined (plastic welded whatever that's called), yet even though the pieces are joined, there's still some way the salt gets up and through. It didn't do this for the first two years, but has started more recently. Nothing will ever stop the creep up a cable for a powerhead, but I'm assuming this won't happen through acrylic joints. What about around the openings - does it creep up through the little doors?

I know, I know - suck it up :) But the salt creep is annoying.
It is but what can we do… the doors on my sump are horrible about it..

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some companies that make good custom lids? I need to get one for my new build but I don't want to break the bank.
There are several companies that make custom aquarium lids at reasonable prices. Here are a few options to consider:

1. Artfully Acrylic - This company specializes in custom acrylic aquarium lids and offers a range of options to fit various tank sizes and shapes. They offer competitive pricing and fast turnaround times.
  2. ClearView Lids - ClearView Lids offers custom glass aquarium lids that are cut to your tank's exact specifications. They offer a variety of thicknesses and edge finishes to fit your budget.
  3. Custom Aquariums - This company offers custom acrylic and glass aquarium lids for a range of tank sizes and shapes. They offer a variety of options, including cutouts for filters and feeding holes.
  4. Perfecto Manufacturing - Perfecto Manufacturing offers standard and custom glass aquarium lids at competitive prices. They have a range of sizes and shapes available, and their lids come with plastic backstrip and handle.
  5. Versa-Tops - Versa-Tops are acrylic aquarium lids that come in standard sizes but can also be custom cut to fit your tank. They are reasonably priced and offer a variety of options, including feeding holes and backstrip.
Before choosing a company, be sure to measure your tank accurately and determine the exact specifications you need for your custom lid. Additionally, read reviews and compare prices to ensure you are getting the best value for your money.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Artfully Acrylic = Clearview

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no one has mentioned it yet, this is the most affordable, least ugly one to put on a rimless tank. Since it is black, and the mesh is black, it is the least visible one I have found. I have had a couple of other "high end" ones that I special ordered and found that the clear frames and clear mesh reflect and transmit light. You would think clear would be the least visible but it isn't. Go black and never look back :) https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/product/8167/307

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bumping this to see if anybody else has recent input about Clearview. I was really leaning toward them until I came across the feedback here.

TopLid was my other option but OOF that price :face-with-spiral-eyes:

Maybe Black Friday will help a little with that... whichever I end up with.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Top_Lids @Kraken Reef Will either of you be doing Black Friday sales? My problem is I have a new tank with fish being delivered in 3-4 weeks (while they quarantine), and I need to order before then since lead times take awhile. I realize I could buy a much less expensive lid but the craftsmanship and quality are important to me and you both are well thought of.

FYI…I need a standard lid, one Feed slot, two light cutouts, 2 cord cutouts in back corners, and overflow box cutout for a Red Sea Reefer 350 G2+.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Top_Lids @Kraken Reef Will either of you be doing Black Friday sales? My problem is I have a new tank with fish being delivered in 3-4 weeks (while they quarantine), and I need to order before then since lead times take awhile. I realize I could buy a much less expensive lid but the craftsmanship and quality are important to me and you both are well thought of.

FYI…I need a standard lid, one Feed slot, two light cutouts, 2 cord cutouts in back corners, and overflow box cutout for a Red Sea Reefer 350 G2+.
Don’t know if it’s still valid but they sent me a 10% off - KRAKEN10 when I didn’t complete my checkout at first.

When I asked back in February the initial responses from others I got were they’ve never seen anything more than the 10%

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back