Tank lids

bazza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I have my first tank 1200mm reef tank and was wondering do I need a lid as there is a lot of evaporation, im curious to see if others are using a lid or not and the reasons why

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only tank I have with a lid is my bio cube. My other 2 tanks are open with nets on top. I prefer open tops myself. Since my tanks are in the garage the open top tanks lets heat escape to where my bio cube traps the heat

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had glass lids on my 72x24x24 tank for 2.5 years. My setup is in-wall and I want to control where the evaporation is happening. With newer equipment retained heat is not much of an issue. Went with glass to prevent fogging that polycarbonate tends to get. I hate cleaning them, but love the fact they protect my walls. They will affect light penetration. Added bonus is no fish loss due to jumping.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I have my first tank 1200mm reef tank and was wondering do I need a lid as there is a lot of evaporation, im curious to see if others are using a lid or not and the reasons why
My 80 gallon rimless has been up and going for 7 months now and I was concerned about evaporation loss as well. I lose at least a gallon a day with this system. I installed at ATO and a 5 gallon reservoir and that helped but still worry about the humidity levels from this in my lower level of home. I haven’t seen add on tops for my deep blue tank so I found acrylic clips online that slide down and clip on rim of tank that could be used to hold some kind of canopy .

OP
OP
B

bazza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I worry too I do lose a lot and in the summer here its gets very humid and hot I may get an acrylic made to size that can be removed easy I think

Angrywalnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the glass tops.
Evaporation is about 10 oz a day compared to 3/4 gallon when I had open top on a reefer 450.
Temp went up 2.5 degrees. Heaters barely run anymore. They were running in the summer with the A/C on.
Although they may block some light, the condensation may be diffusing LED lights. Speculation here.
Fish stay in tank!
May not be as prone to airborne contaminents.

I may get an acrylic made to size that can be removed easy I think
I had Acrylic top on a 36 inch tank, it bowed every 2 weeks and I had to keep flipping over so it would bow the other way.
You may want a polycarbonate of some sort instead.

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the rimless tank with no top look, but, I am a glass top guy also. I don't have the luxury of space for an ATO so the glass tops keep my evaporation down to a minimum.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the rimless tank with no top look, but, I am a glass top guy also. I don't have the luxury of space for an ATO so the glass tops keep my evaporation down to a minimum.
How did you do your glass top on rimlesss tank? C

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the glass tops.
Evaporation is about 10 oz a day compared to 3/4 gallon when I had open top on a reefer 450.
Temp went up 2.5 degrees. Heaters barely run anymore. They were running in the summer with the A/C on.
Although they may block some light, the condensation may be diffusing LED lights. Speculation here.
Fish stay in tank!
May not be as prone to airborne contaminents.

I had Acrylic top on a 36 inch tank, it bowed every 2 weeks and I had to keep flipping over so it would bow the other way.
You may want a polycarbonate of some sort instead.
I would like to have glass/acrylic tops as well . My 5 gallon reservoir is out in 3-4 days depending on humidity levels. I didn’t think I would have a rimless tank if I didn’t have 1 of these items installed . Though if I could cut down on my yearly rodi costs if I had a top.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Artfully Acrylic Top for my new tank ,, if you end up deciding that you want a top for your tank ,, the one they make is the one you want ,, read that part again :) jmo they make the best top in the hobby right now ,, I see your in Australia ,, that could be problem ,, I am sure they could make it work though :) before buying this top ,, on my other tanks I would make my own ,, you can buy kits and screen from BRS ,,The only reason you need a top is because of fish wanting to jump out of the tank ,, if your putting fish into your tank that will jump and most will ,, you want a Top ,,

I would never put a solid glass or acrylic top over my tank ,, for a couple of reasons ,, gas exchange & heat issues ,, evaporation is what it is ,, put a Top Off system on your tank ,, if you don't already have one ,,

OP
OP
B

bazza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Artfully Acrylic Top for my new tank ,, if you end up deciding that you want a top for your tank ,, the one they make is the one you want ,, read that part again :) jmo they make the best top in the hobby right now ,, I see your in Australia ,, that could be problem ,, I am sure they could make it work though :) before buying this top ,, on my other tanks I would make my own ,, you can buy kits and screen from BRS ,,The only reason you need a top is because of fish wanting to jump out of the tank ,, if your putting fish into your tank that will jump and most will ,, you want a Top ,,

I would never put a solid glass or acrylic top over my tank ,, for a couple of reasons ,, gas exchange & heat issues ,, evaporation is what it is ,, put a Top Off system on your tank ,, if you don't already have one ,,
That's the plan an ato but does it run into my main tank or my sump?

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the plan an ato but does it run into my main tank or my sump?

Sump tank ,, you can You Tube it ,, you want the fresh Top Off water mixed before it hits your display tank ,, I have the Tunzi Top Off system ,, its also the best ,, thats the one you want ,, its a buy it once ,, quality ,, piece of equipment ,, don't try to save money here ,, get the Tunzi ,, read that part again also :)

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got my lid for my RSR250 from Artfully Acrylic (now Clearview Lids) and do recommend it. It cost me as much to ship it to Sydney as it did to purchase it, and with our current exchange rate that was not cheap either, but I do not begrudge 1c. I am planning a second larger tank and will be buying one of their lids for that as well.

I didn’t bother with feeding holes, just a cord cutout either side at the back. I prefer to keep the look as clean as I can and find it very easy to lift the lid when I feed frozen food and distribute it across the entire tank. When feeding pellets I just feed through the mesh.

In my current tank I have Maxspect Razor lights so use the arms and small clamps to hold up the lid at the front when I do minor cleaning and target coral feeding. I am getting my son to print me some little arms as lid holders on his 3D printer to replace the clamps. I plan different lights in the new tank so these lid supports will be needed for regular maintenance in that tank. Every few weeks I lift the entire lid off and hose it down in the shower to clean salt off it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back