Tank location

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Im planning my new tank.
It will go against the wall in the picture. I have a concern with the HVAC return.
Will this suck up all the moisture and cause my furnace to fail? I'm planning to put a canopy on the tank.

Thanks!

925801D3-540B-4C3C-9C53-02D0C7190D53.jpeg

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several tanks next to/under/over returns and there's never been an issue with humidity. I could see it being an issue if you have really huge tanks, but you're probably safe with any standard tank. We have very dry Winters and although I get a lot of evaporation, I actually get more when the A/C is running than when the heat is on.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree the size of the tank is a factor, but I think your concern is is valid. You might want to read through this thread, post #13 in particular.

OP
OP
wisnia99

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I think this is now a valid concern. I will try to vent the canopy to the right with some fans i hours I could also use the glass covers on the tank

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I think this is now a valid concern. I will try to vent the canopy to the right with some fans i hours I could also use the glass covers on the tank
That sounds like a good idea, if it turns out you need further mitigation, I suspect a filter at the return grate would catch most of the salt and protect the rest of the HVAC, but would also create a additional point of maintenance.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 32.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back