Tank Maintance question.

jordan3548

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
660
Reaction score
28
Location
Plant City, Fl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knows this is sad because I've been in the hobby for years but ive never cleaned my sand although its not very dirty I would like to clean it. I see people on here that vaccum there sand so my question is how exactly do you vaccum it? Every time I try the sand comes all the way up with the water is there a trick or something that im missing?
 
Are you having algae issues?
 
I never clean mine if that makes a difference. Diamond goby and sand sifting star keep the top layer clean. All the good bacteria grows beneath that.
 
No not really I just have been reading through some peoples routine maintnance and noticed alot of people clean there sand. I was going through Sonny's rimless reef thread and was amazed how white and pristine his sand looks and he said he vaccums it so I figured why not give it a shot. My fear is stirring up stuff that doesnt really need to be in the water column
 
Good reason to do it after looking at Sonny's tank!
 
After not doing it for a long period, be sure to do a little patch at a time at first. I use a siphon hose that gets really wide at the end. No matter what you use, you can crimp the hose off to decrease flow and keep the sand in the tank.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers
Sent from Tapatalk, so excuse my bad spelling and grammer.
 
They sell vacuums with in-line ball valves installed pretty cheap. Makes it easy to control the flow.
 
I clean the sand every 2 months... I have pristine white sand... I have cleaned other peoples/public tanks and watched how the dark brown cloud of dirt just fills the bucket... I don't mind loosing a little sand you just add some new sand in and then mix the bottom up...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 10.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new