Tank move and transfer!

guero130

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I know this topic is beat to death and I did try and search it out BUT I couldn't find the relevant info in a timely manner. I currently have a 180G and am in the process of buying a 200g. the 200 is about 2hrs away and I plan to remove all livestock first and return for all the equipment on a later date. im curious what guys are using to transport live stock? I also have some VERY large sps colonies to move at the same time and really have no idea how im going to move them in a good way without significant damage. obviously all the corals are going to have to be in water and that's why I ask about the containers used. my other hurtle is where im going to keep the fish until I get the new tank home. I have a bad feeling about introducing the new tangs in with my current tangs. could get crowded quick, never mind the aggression that will come of it too. any info would be great AND if you have pictures, please share. the more info I have, the better.

thanks!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and #welcome to R2R!

You’ve come to the right place for help!

Just not from me as I have never done anything like that.

Give a little time for folks to see this and you will get some good advice!

Happy reefing!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20181019_154220_01.gif
Welcome to reef2reef farm supply stores sell large plastic troughs for live stock. I bet that will be a great temp containers for the fish. Sorry no idea how to move sps

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I did when I moved.....
During the move:
put live rock in clean (purchased bucket and fitted top for 5$ a piece) 5 gallon sheetrock bucket filled with tank water then put on fitted top.
same for livestock. did same for coral.

then I filled Brute trash cans with water then salt to my usual salinity to match old tank water ( RODI). I put some of the live rock and fish in one barrel with a heater and a diatom filter. Another barrel I put all the coral and rest of live rock, a heater and power head. My tank lights over that barrel.

I then set up the empty tank and filled with RODI, then salted, then put in sand and waited a few days. All of my coral made it, all of my fish made it same with rock. It was a stressful few days as I had no idea if it would work. It did. However anytime you upset a tank you should expect a loss of some livestock or coral. I am sure there are other many other ways that work just as well or maybe better but this is what worked for me. This was just last summer.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back